Smu's Backup Plan--if They Don't Get Pjohnson

SUMG

(from the dallasnews.com blog--opinions of Tim MacMahon):

The odds of SMU outbidding Georgia Tech for Paul Johnson's services are pretty slim. And if it's close, Johnson would be a fool to pick SMU over an established ACC program. So it looks like the Ponies will be going to Plan B.

Totally unconfirmed rumor: SMU would bring in Dennis Franchione, who would hire former North Texas coach Darrell Dickey as offensive coordinator.

Coach Fran, for all his failures in Aggieland, would be a great fit on the Hilltop. He's proven that he can make a downtrodden mid-major program a winner, and he has the Texas ties that Johnson lacks.

I'd love for Dickey to come back to the area, too. He was always a swell fella to me, even though he left my alma mater on bad terms. His presence would certainly add fuel to the SMU-North Texas rivalry. The schools won't play next season, but I'm told that a long-term home-and-home deal that would begin in 2009 is in the works.

Utah State was 102nd this year in total offense , I hope this rumor ( a far fetched one ) is true... SMu fans i think would Love to have Fran , but hate to have DD

Maybe Ramon could get a job and be the QB coach

The odds of SMU outbidding Georgia Tech for Paul Johnson's services are pretty slim. And if it's close, Johnson would be a fool to pick SMU over an established ACC program. So it looks like the Ponies will be going to Plan B.

Timmy must read what I say ... I already reported this!!!! :D

Edited by NT03

I would have to agree.

This is no joke. As far fetched as it sounds, it's no joke.

I guess the "I told you so" thing just doesnt quite cover it here. In all fairness, Francione loves the run offense, and DD has won four conference titles doing just that. When I posted this last week, some of you thought I was crazy... now I think we can agree that the only really crazy people wear the initials SMU. I got the info from a friend/player at SMU, and he said they would be very happy to get Coach Fran. They were'nt as enthusiastic about the posibility of Coach Dickey being the OC. How great would it be if this happened and we played them this year at Fouts? What could have been.....Medpilot
Edited by emmitt01

That sounds about right. Fran likes the running ball control offense and so does the Double D.

DD has worked at SMU and knows how to recruit (at least he did at one time).

DD would also presumably get about 200K a year which is close to what he was making at UNT.

And speaking of coaches salaries (my favorite topic of late) – here’s an interesting article - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...aches-pay_N.htm

[post="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-12-04-coaches-pay_N.htm

"]click me

Edited by STE

I love this one:

We really need a radio/media type major at SMU. All these UNT morons are polluting all over DMN, The Ticket, etc etc. Free good PR for them, free bad PR for us.

Hey buddy, you guys DO have a media and journalism major. But who wants to play a homer to the worst football team in North Texas??

I love hating SMU... they make it so easy.

What's funny is that they are bemoaning the fact that someone had the nerve to make the assertion that money can't buy a disgraced football program a good head coach.

THEN while they cry about a UNT alum writing this undeniable truth on a blog (a BLOG, and not a DMN column!) they threaten to hire away our coach. Why would Dodge want to take a step down like that?

Dickey coming back to Dallas would be great for the SMU/UNT rivalry, but if I were an SMU alumnus I'd be aghast at the prospect he might be one of the top coordinators in the program. That black uniform stunt still rankles me. A college coach who lets his emotions get away from him to the point that he pulls an F-U on a school on the way out the door isn't going to run a high-character program. And SMU is an environment where any off-field problems will be blown up huge by the media.

THEN while they cry about a UNT alum writing this undeniable truth on a blog (a BLOG, and not a DMN column!) they threaten to hire away our coach. Why would Dodge want to take a step down like that?

Well, the flip answer is money and visibility.

But, while I think Dodge is an excellent coach and has a bright future ahead of him, he is not the right hire for us. We don't have time to support the learning curve of a high school coach and his staff.

Nor, do we want Dickey in any capacity.

We might get stuck with Fran but he wouldn't be my first choice either.

Well, the flip answer is money and visibility.

But, while I think Dodge is an excellent coach and has a bright future ahead of him, he is not the right hire for us. We don't have time to support the learning curve of a high school coach and his staff.

Nor, do we want Dickey in any capacity.

We might get stuck with Fran but he wouldn't be my first choice either.

And somehow we do? The two programs are NOT separated by much...and I'd be hard pressed to say which one is on higher ground right now.

And somehow we do? The two programs are NOT separated by much...and I'd be hard pressed to say which one is on higher ground right now.

We have more fan support but they have a lot more money. Our strengths are there weaknesses and vice versa. That’s why a rivalry (apart from geography) makes so much sense.