This Is What Kills Me....we Didnt Have A Search Committee

UNT_playmaker

We had so much potential in our program that an SEC offensive coordinator, up and coming coach and NFL star, and a former NFL coach wanted to come here to Denton, Texas to take UNT to the next level. They showed interest in coming to NT and bringing real knowledged COLLEGE assistants to aide in our coaching program.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

We had so much potential in our program that an SEC offensive coordinator, up and coming coach and NFL star, and a former NFL coach wanted to come here to Denton, Texas to take UNT to the next level. They showed interest in coming to NT and bringing real knowledged COLLEGE assistants to aide in our coaching program.

You mean the Jerry Glanville who lead the Portland State Vikings to a 3 - 8 record. Nobody wanted this guy , the only reason he got that gig cause it was June Jones alma mater

I think Harbaugh did come to Denton for an interview

Jimbo , yeah right!! He was out of the price range and he already knows that he will be the head coach of a BIG TIME program very soon. Reports say he will take over FSU once Bobby Bobby retires.

They all wanted to come here so BAD huh ?? Only reason they would come here is for the interview. Coaches go to interviews just for practice. You really think Harbaugh wanted to come here so bad instead of going to the Pac X Cardinals ??? Please back that up with some proof. JG is the only one of those who expressed interest in NT , im glad we didn't get him.

Edited by NT03

Come on Playmaker. The positives far outweigh the negatives here and the future has never been more bright. If you want to compare TD vs other more seasoned coaches look what he and his offense did to several seasoned D coordinators ie...SMU and Navy.

There's no call for this.

Rick

We are just fine with Coach Dodge and we will be fine with Coach Dodge. Coach Dodge knows what he is doing and will get this thing going in the right direction. Some patience might just be in order, but we are definitely on the right track. Let's see where we are in 1-3 years....I'll bet we are plenty happy and are worried that someone just might "steal" Coach dodge from UNT. I had a great time at the games this year...the players NEVER gave up and the crowds were better than I have experienced in may years...

RENEW YOUR SEASON TICKETS...HELP GET NEW SEASON TICKET BUYERS...and GO MEAN GREEN...and while you are at it...JOIN THE EXES!

I wholeheartedly disagree with UNT_Playmaker. However, I do not think that his post is spam or is worthy of out right rejection. There are no rules that say we must like Dodge and his assistants or even have to support them. Dissent is a important aspect of all forums, and quite frankly, makes them more interesting to read (can you imagine a forum where everyone had the same view?). If anything, UNT_Playermaker is more justified in his reasoning that the Dodge hire was a mistake than we are saying it was the right decision given our horrible record and ranking as the worst defense in the country (you can't get much worse than worst in the country). I know, it was Mendoza - but Dodge hired him and even said that defense was the strength of our team - a misassessment of enormous proportions to say the least. Instead of blasting UNT_Player, you should consider responding to his posts with evidence to the contrary. Good luck finding it at this point though.

I wholeheartedly disagree with UNT_Playmaker. However, I do not think that his post is spam or is worthy of out right rejection. There are no rules that say we must like Dodge and his assistants or even have to support them. Dissent is a important aspect of all forums, and quite frankly, makes them more interesting to read (can you imagine a forum where everyone had the same view?). If anything, UNT_Playermaker is more justified in his reasoning that the Dodge hire was a mistake than we are saying it was the right decision given our horrible record and ranking as the worst defense in the country (you can't get much worse than worst in the country). I know, it was Mendoza - but Dodge hired him and even said that defense was the strength of our team - a misassessment of enormous proportions to say the least. Instead of blasting UNT_Player, you should consider responding to his posts with evidence to the contrary. Good luck finding it at this point though.

Alumni donations, press coverage, and student support. Besides the post-thanksgiving schedule foul-up, it's been really good. Recruits from the current class.

Chrisfisher supporting Playmaker is the first sign of the end times. We won't be debating the future of the program when we are being whipped and punished for years of making dick jokes on a public forum, now will we?

Chrisfisher supporting Playmaker is the first sign of the end times.

:D :D :D I wouldn't say I support his position. It is just difficult to argue with the "Dodge was a mistake" argument b/c of this horrendous season. I actually believe the Dodge hiring was the correct decision. However, everything we say about Dodge's anticipated future success is pure speculation and gut feelings. No really knows so I don't know how they can say UNT_Playmaker's position is wrong.

:D :D :D I wouldn't say I support his position. It is just difficult to argue with the "Dodge was a mistake" argument b/c of this horrendous season. I actually believe the Dodge hiring was the correct decision. However, everything we say about Dodge's anticipated future success is pure speculation and gut feelings. No really knows so I don't know how they can say UNT_Playmaker's position is wrong.

It is easy to agruge the "Dodge was a mistake" argument; as college coaches are never evaluate on their first year's successes. They typically aren't graded real hard until their kids are true or red-shirt seniors. So to begin that argument now show's UNT_Playmaker's lack of patience and general football knowledge. His comments are also evalute (by the other posters) along with the other dribble that he posts. If somoene traditionally plays the part od the internet troll; how do you know when they want to post something meaningful?

I only agree partly with Playmaker. The thing I agree with is that our search seemed like a sham and our athletic director had his mind made up. Fine. He's staked his reputation and job on doing something that couldn't be done at place like Notre Dame.

The reality of it, though, should have hit all of us last week, if it already hadn't. That is, we just don't have the money to do it. We don't.

It doesn't matter that you buy more season tickets. It doesn't matter that you may yell louder at the games. It doesn't matter tha you may badger your co-workers about it. The bottom line is we don't have access where the big money streams in for collegiate and professional sports - television contracts.

We don't have it. The Sun Belt doesn't have it.

Baylor just handed a guy $1.8 million a year. Although they suck, they are part of that stream.

People here poo-pooh the WAC. Well, how does their television contract look compared to the Sun Belt? Are they on more often? Boise got them cash last year. This year it will be Hawaii. Fresno was a Thursday night fixtures for years.

And, what about bowl tie-ins? What does the WAC have versus the Sun Belt?

The point is, it wouldn't have matter how many search committees we had. We simply didn't have to money to hire a college football coach. As it stood, Dodge's base salary is less than Darrell Dickey's was!

Look, season ticket money doesn't add up to a hill of beans these days. And, exposure in local papers and even occassionally national publications means nothing. These days, unless you have some dollars to make it work, it ain't gonna work.

The people responsible for getting into better conferences, getting television deals, etc. are the president, athletic director, and Board of Regents. It's not Darrell Dickey or Todd Dodge that does the wheeling and dealing. Those guys are simply working with what they're given.

The fact of the matter is that this athletic department was not managed well for decades. And, now that the "arms race" is way, way into orbit, we'll need a miracle to catch up.

In the mean time, do what we have always done - persevere...and bitch about it...p.s.: tell the WR coach I'm sorry I said "bitch" about it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

People here poo-pooh the WAC. Well, how does their television contract look compared to the Sun Belt? Are they on more often? Boise got them cash last year. This year it will be Hawaii. Fresno was a Thursday night fixtures for years.

Excellent reasons for the move, however, I won't try to make this a discussion of whether or not we should go to the WAC (I think everyone knows I would).

Search committee coaches aren't always the best. The search committee gave us Dennis Parker and Tina Slinker, Jerry Moore and Rod Rust. Direct hires were Hayden Fry, Matt Simon, Vic Trilli, Bob Tyler. Can't remember about Corky Nelson or Darrel Dickey. Search committee also gave us Jimmy Gales. It is a mixed bag.

I think Dodge was an outstanding hire and the best hire we could have made all things considered. However, I think TFLF post is well taken. He makes a point that I alluded to yesterday: The “arms race” is such that we are in serious trouble.

If Dodge succeeds and does well he’ll leave for more money. If he fails, we’ll be looking for another coach and what are the chances that we will be able to hire someone else like Dodge on 300K a year.

Go to http://coacheshotseat.com/ and you will become depressed. Baylor is paying their coach 1.8 million a year which now puts them in the top 15. UH a non-BCS school that many here would consider a peer institution is paying 900k (maybe more for their new coach). SMU will likely pay in excess of 1.5 million for their new hire.

Folks – we better hope that we do something to continue to raise enthusiasm find new donors and/or raise money. The arms escalation that we see going on right now is a very serious problem for UNT.

I don’t want to change the subject here but one thing we can do is to seriously explore the WAC.

Winning the Sunbelt 4 years in a row was instrumental in raising school spirit and perhaps in getting us the WAC invite. The Dodge hire only bolstered the enthusiasm. It’s time to understand that we have to make a move forward or die.

Search committee coaches aren't always the best. The search committee gave us Dennis Parker and Tina Slinker, Jerry Moore and Rod Rust. Direct hires were Hayden Fry, Matt Simon, Vic Trilli, Bob Tyler. Can't remember about Corky Nelson or Darrel Dickey. Search committee also gave us Jimmy Gales. It is a mixed bag.

Helwig alone hired DD.

Rick

You know...this discussion is pretty worthless. Bataille isn't going to reneg on hiring Dodge. Dodge isn't going to reneg on hiring Mendoza, not until next season, assuming the result is the same as this year.

All I want to say is:

TOUGH IT OUT.

Yeah you have a really good point, we shouldn't get ourselves all worked up for nothing....We should tough it out and see what happens

Let's keep all of the worries and stresses on the coaches, that is what they are getting paid to do. It was a rough season and now its over.

Let's forget about football and try to support and cheer the basketball team.

I only agree partly with Playmaker. The thing I agree with is that our search seemed like a sham and our athletic director had his mind made up. Fine. He's staked his reputation and job on doing something that couldn't be done at place like Notre Dame.

The reality of it, though, should have hit all of us last week, if it already hadn't. That is, we just don't have the money to do it. We don't.

It doesn't matter that you buy more season tickets. It doesn't matter that you may yell louder at the games. It doesn't matter tha you may badger your co-workers about it. The bottom line is we don't have access where the big money streams in for collegiate and professional sports - television contracts.

We don't have it. The Sun Belt doesn't have it.

Baylor just handed a guy $1.8 million a year. Although they suck, they are part of that stream.

The point is, it wouldn't have matter how many search committees we had. We simply didn't have to money to hire a college football coach. As it stood, Dodge's base salary is less than Darrell Dickey's was!

Look, season ticket money doesn't add up to a hill of beans these days. And, exposure in local papers and even occassionally national publications means nothing. These days, unless you have some dollars to make it work, it ain't gonna work.

The people responsible for getting into better conferences, getting television deals, etc. are the president, athletic director, and Board of Regents. It's not Darrell Dickey or Todd Dodge that does the wheeling and dealing. Those guys are simply working with what they're given.

The fact of the matter is that this athletic department was not managed well for decades. And, now that the "arms race" is way, way into orbit, we'll need a miracle to catch up.

In the mean time, do what we have always done - persevere...and bitch about it...p.s.: tell the WR coach I'm sorry I said "bitch" about it.

Yes, Quoner, the end times may (in deed) be here since I am all but agreeing to most of the things said on a post by TFLF! :lol: We of UNT are in deed a most diversified group of thought and theory, now aren't we TFLF? :D

WAC & Bowls? Well, the last 2 years the WAC has had 4 bowl games, of course all ye staunch defenders of all things absolutely perfect about the SBC and its 1 bowl and............if you will allow me to count a BCS Championsip Bowl Series bowl to be the WAC's 4'th bowl the last 2 years, right? :rolleyes::P:blink:

Many of us Old Gun Alums have watched UNT fall back in the "arms race" and much to many of our's chagrins; but hellsbells, it wasn't any of us hiring all the "quote unquote" fund-raisers up there the last 30 years who actually had access to all the potential fundraiser's list and how many decades did UNT Athleitcs (to be fair) get told to "stay away from these potential donors" and when truth may have been known on some of them, that it was athletics that pulled in some of those those "stay away from them" group of potentials on the UNT Advancement Office "A List" of potential Big Donors back in the day?

Yes, it's been quite an adventure for those of us who have mostly hung in there when so, so many did not; but now some of us are just ready to see some time, a bunch of volunteer service hours (and some money in past decades) pay off. So yes, it is (in deed) Pay Day Time for many of us older alums and good gosh' it needs to start happening very, very soon.

FWIW................I think Todd Dodge still gives us the best long term upside of any coach I've seen hired in Mean Green Country since UNT Prez Jitter Nolen announced to our Mean Green World in December of 1972 some dude named John Hayden Fry would be our UNT HFC. So go ahead, Young Gunners, all you who have kicked Hayden Fry around on this forum more times than there ever should have been, but we haven't had a coach in Mean Green Country who could still hold Fry's jock strap since the day he left for the Big 10 & Iowa (hint, hint?) and some of you from all eras are astute and informed more than enough concerning your Mean Green football history to know this, too).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Many of us Old Gun Alums have watched UNT fall back in the "arms race" and much to many of our's chagrins; but hellsbells, it wasn't any of us hiring all the "quote unquote" fund-raisers up there the last 30 years who actually had access to all the potential fundraiser's list and how many decades did UNT Athleitcs (to be fair) get told to "stay away from these potential donors" and when truth may have been known on some of them, that it was athletics that pulled in some of those those "stay away from them" group of potentials on the UNT Advancement Office "A List" of potential Big Donors back in the day?

Trying to parse this plumm sentence made my head go

blowup.gif