Army Game

houstonmeangreen

At one time I also believed that we would have a new stadium by 2009. I gave some money toward the new stadium project with that thought in mind. That is no longer true. At this time I do not believe that I will see a new stadium at North Texas in my lifetime. I hope I am wrong. I am currently 65 years of age.

At one time I also believed that we would have a new stadium by 2009. I gave some money toward the new stadium project with that thought in mind. That is no longer true. At this time I do not believe that I will see a new stadium at North Texas in my lifetime. I hope I am wrong. I am currently 65 years of age.

I still believe construction will start by 2009 or 2010. I've heard the stadium has more university-wide support now than at any other time and it's a funding priority. Some MGC "members-only" type info about the progress and process would help spur donations. I'd like to believe they want my money and input but not sure lately. <_<

Fouts does look better, but really, does that really matter? it is an ugly old outdated stadium that has lived through its usefullness and beyond. The sooner we get a new one the better. i am a recent grad, 06', and even though my curent lack of funds is staggering i just donated to the cause. You can only make up something so many times before it gets old, it has gotten old. How many times have we gone to SMU, or TCU and seen nice, modern, stadiums and thought to ourselves how nice would this be?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It is time to quit wishful thinking and do something about it, get out your checkbooks and donate, $10, $20, $1000, it doesn't F'n matter, just do it. Why don't we instigate some change!

Fouts does look better, but really, does that really matter? it is an ugly old outdated stadium that has lived through its usefullness and beyond. The sooner we get a new one the better. i am a recent grad, 06', and even though my curent lack of funds is staggering i just donated to the cause. You can only make up something so many times before it gets old, it has gotten old. How many times have we gone to SMU, or TCU and seen nice, modern, stadiums and thought to ourselves how nice would this be?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It is time to quit wishful thinking and do something about it, get out your checkbooks and donate, $10, $20, $1000, it doesn't F'n matter, just do it. Why don't we instigate some change!

Just for debate....most of the classic stadiums in the college game are as old - or older than Fouts.

Just for debate....most of the classic stadiums in the college game are as old - or older than Fouts.

Fair enough, but most of those old stadiums house teams that represent far more storied programs. Of course OU nad UT, and aTm, and those will have old stadiums they have had strong old traditions, we haven't. Besides that track sucks for watching football and our stadium resembles that of a really nice 50's high school stadium than a first rate, 1A college stadium.

If we want to compete, image is really important

Age isn't Fouts problem it's the design and the track that holds us back. Most great stadiums nationwide are older than Fouts but they are better maintained and better designed with much better sight lines. Age doesn't matter functionality does and Fouts just isn't a major college football stadium.

Sorry folks...Fouts is what Fouts is. We just need to win and play good teams that folks care about...like Army, Navy, Air Force, Baylor, TCU, SMU...and I could go on.....let's just build on 2207, win more games in 2008 and see where we go with the new stadium. I believe RV and the school are behind the scenes working on a new stadium right now...but, no announcements and no bulldozers until a significant chunk of change has already been pledged. Who would want to start a stadium campaign with ZERO pledges in the "bank" and relying on $10 and $100 donations to get you there? Not me! I am all for "getting it going" and making it happens...and every donation, be it $1 or a $1,000,000 is welcome...and should be appreciated by RV and the school....but, if I'm running the show, I want some big dollars already pledged BEFORE I go "front and center" with a BIG TIME ANNOUNCEMENT & CAMPAIGN.

BTW...was in Stillwater recently and saw the construction going on around Boone Pickens Stadium...UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!! But, I was also "impressed" to see that every gate entrance, every ticket booth, every wall was "named"....which means "private funds" were donated! It was the "Jones family gate", the "Smith Family Gate" the "Eskimo Joe's" this and that, etc., etc. We could do the same once things start rolling. I wonder what they "charged" for the naming rights to a gate or a ticket window, etc., etc. Wasn't "crass" at all...was really VERY classy!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I was also "impressed" to see that every gate entrance, every ticket booth, every wall was "named"....which means "private funds" were donated! It was the "Jones family gate", the "Smith Family Gate" the "Eskimo Joe's" this and that, etc., etc. We could do the same once things start rolling. I wonder what they "charged" for the naming rights to a gate or a ticket window, etc., etc. Wasn't "crass" at all...was really VERY classy!

GO MEAN GREEN!

UNT is still 1-AA on marketing and PR with potential donors. I know the dept has added a couple bodies but I couldn't get the Promotions guy to email or call me back after 3 attempts. Guess I'll give my $10 million to SMUt? <_<

Does every thread have to go to "I wish we had a new stadium, and we should just do this, and all of our problems would be solved" talk? Do we not all agree that things are being done to get a new stadium? Will proposing new ideas that the people who are in the driver's seat will never see, help? Do we really believe that a new stadium will bring us up to the BCS level? I really hope that when the new stadium is finally built, whenever that is, we don't have this Field of Dreams philosophy. A new stadium would be great, but it won't make us a D1-A (FBS, whatever we call it now) powerhouse.

Edited by forevereagle

My Fouts solution:

We get those foundation repair guys who always remind us that they're UNT alums to jack up the whole thing about 50 feet or so. Then we build new lower level seats covering the existing track.

The outside three lanes of the existing track would still be usable, but all further records would then have to be listed as indoor numbers. The inside lanes would pose a risk of runners banging their heads on steel beams, so we would either stop using those, or only let very short runners use them.

Then we give the stadium a sequel name, such as Fouts II: With a Vengeance.

Simple. Elegant. And it comes with a lifetime guarantee against cracking or slippage.

UNT is still 1-AA on marketing and PR with potential donors. I know the dept has added a couple bodies but I couldn't get the Promotions guy to email or call me back after 3 attempts. Guess I'll give my $10 million to SMUt? <_<

NT80, since 1995, when NT got back into 1A football, and especially since all of the stadium talk started, I have yet to be asked for a donation for the building of a new football stadium. I have not seen one piece of "donation literature" on donation commitment options for a new stadium. All I hear about is the "silent phase". It's silent all right! I don't pretend to know anything about the funding of such large projects, but can't the athletic director at least tell us what is going on. Are we going to build a stadium in the near future of not? Somehow, I think it's all smoke and mirros. Fouts is our home for a while. :(

Guest 97and03

BTW...was in Stillwater recently and saw the construction going on around Boone Pickens Stadium...UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!! But, I was also "impressed" to see that every gate entrance, every ticket booth, every wall was "named"....which means "private funds" were donated! It was the "Jones family gate", the "Smith Family Gate" the "Eskimo Joe's" this and that, etc., etc. We could do the same once things start rolling. I wonder what they "charged" for the naming rights to a gate or a ticket window, etc., etc. Wasn't "crass" at all...was really VERY classy!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I was at the UT game in Stillwater this month. The thing that struck me was how close the fans were to the field. I mean, it was like nrealy arena football close. I made me really think about how far everyone is at Fouts. The fans need to be closer!