Defense

greenminer

For all the crap the defense has had to put up with, and all the crap that has been said about them on the board, I think it's only fair to give praise on a unit that allowed only two field goals in the second half. Adjustments had to have been made after a miserable first half. Despite a whole lot of bending, they didn't break.

so, um...Thank you :)

I agree, Defense was big tonight, so were the special teams, to help the Offense and Defense.

Special Teams directly affected 14 pts with a blocked punt for 7pts and kickoff fumble recovery to help the Offense score 7pts to open the 2nd half.

Dont forget they blocked the final FG Attempt by WKU that won the game

That win was because of the heart of those Defensive guys...coaching had nothing to do with the win. Do not be fooled by this win...Mendoza is still a terrible coach and has no business being a DC at the D1 level. Not only does he not know how to prepare for opposing teams...he does not know how to motivate and encourage football players at this level.

Are you sure he was in charge?

Word. I'm guessing no, he wasn't.

...Defense played well last night against the run. Most of the damage done was against the pass which exposed our weak secondary.

The performance was good enough though and a massive improvement, really the first we saw all year. Our offense was not great last night, but again, was good enough, and I'm sure the slop wasn't helping any. virtually every vizza pass that was off the mark was high, like the ball was getting away from him before he wanted it to as a result of being wet...

I tell you what, Mendoza comments aside, you can tell that EVERY week our defensive guys are playing their arses off in terms of effort. Week in and week out when I see these guys play I never finish watching a game thinking, "man they just gave up." Obviously they aren't a very good unit, but I don't begrudge anyone that plays the best they can every play and that's what I see from our defense. Granted that's on TV and the crappy internet video. Maybe it's different in person, but I don't think so.

That win was because of the heart of those Defensive guys...coaching had nothing to do with the win. Do not be fooled by this win...Mendoza is still a terrible coach and has no business being a DC at the D1 level. Not only does he not know how to prepare for opposing teams...he does not know how to motivate and encourage football players at this level.

You are definitely correct.

He is also responsible for the humiliation of the MG this season and pissing off alumni......I would have fired him long ago....Fire Mendoza and get a real DC so this program can go places besides the bottom of the 1A stats column as the worse program in the nation....Don't you think it is getting a little old being at the bottom to the 1A food chain now....we have been kicked around by the press for so long, it is time UNT does the things they need to do to change the program, the culture and mind set at UNT.....build a stadium, not accept excuses for poor perfomance, increase the expectations of students to perticpate in the spirit of UNT, schedule the right teams.... find a model for this (and there are many out there), put a plan in place, execute a plan and stop waisting time....Do It. Firing Mendoza would be part of the plan.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Can an offense get more vanilla than Navy (excluding Notre Dame and all there sideways passes)?

Yes, I'd say any Ramon Flanagan-coached offense (single option vs. triple option).

The defense did play better, especially the Big 3 of Weathers, Holman and Chapman. But they gave me palpatations on WKU's last drive when they had them pinned backed on their own eight with 1st and 18 and they still made a first down and again when they needed frour yards for a first down around midfield and got that too. At least they stopped them the next three downs. Burruss blocking that field goal attempt was huge.

Jesus, it's like a freaking witch hunt around here. Some folks just aren't happy unless they have someone to burn at the stake. All the defensive meltdowns this season are Mendoza's fault. He just can't coach at this level, can't make adjustments, can't motivate the D1 athelete. Everything was his freaking fault. And now that the defense finally had a decent game, Mendoza had nothing to do with it. Too bad we can't also blame him for the problems in Blue parking.

You go get em SLCoutsider. Don't let these guys tear up Mendoza. Most of these guys believe Mendoza was going to kick a fan's ass on the field. You know him personally, does that sound reasonable?

I don't know any of the coaching staff personally. I just don't understand wanting to fire a guy after his first season. As for the ass kicking, there are a few people here that deserve it but I doubt that Mendoza would do it on the field. :)

Edited by SLCoutsider