Unt's Dodge Denies Allegations Of Racism

NT80

UNT's Dodge denies allegations of racism

10:41 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

By Brett Vito / Denton Record-Chronicle

bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON – North Texas football coach Todd Dodge denied allegations by a suspended player of racial bias by his coaching staff Tuesday, when a second suspended player said he will join in a complaint made to the Texas chapter of the NAACP.

Junior cornerback Dominique Green filed his complaint Monday after being suspended Sunday. Sophomore defensive back Desmon Chatman, who was suspended earlier in the season, contacted the NAACP on Tuesday to join in the complaint. Both Green and Chatman are black.

"I can assure you that we don't have any racial problems on our team, at all," Dodge said. "I can lay my head on my pillow at night knowing that we run a program that takes care of our players and treats them the right way."

Green, of Lawton, Okla., said he was suspended for saying, "We are from the hood" during an incident on the sideline during UNT's 48-28 loss to Middle Tennessee on Saturday.

Dodge declined to comment Monday on why he suspended Green and later declined through a UNT official to comment on the complaint. Dodge said Tuesday there was more to what happened on the sideline with Green.

"Foul language was being used on the sideline that was redirected by a coach," Dodge said. "He was insubordinate when he was being redirected. I can promise you that 'hood' was not the only word that was used. I don't have any problem with that word."

Dodge indicated that UNT's staff had problems with Green earlier in the season.

"It wasn't a racial issue," Dodge said. "It was a disciplinary issue."

Dodge did not respond to a message left with an athletic department official seeking comment on Chatman's suspension or his decision to join the complaint.

NAACP representative Ericka Cain confirmed Tuesday that Chatman contacted the organization. Cain will meet Thursday with UNT players who wish to come forward and give a statement.

"I will take their statements and then meet with some people at the university to see if we can come to a common ground and see what the problem is," Cain said. "The players will be able to remain anonymous."

Chatman was suspended earlier in the year. Dodge said his policy is not to go into detail about why players are suspended, but Chatman said he missed a running session.

"I feel like there is a racial bias with the coaches because of some of the situations that have happened," Chatman said. "There is a different set of rules for the black players."

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said he was shocked by the allegations.

"We brought in Coach Dodge to instill some discipline, to instill an accountability to each other and to the team and sometimes that flies in the face of kids' own wants and the way they want to do things," Villarreal said. "Does that become a situation where it is a racial issue? I don't know, but I am going to find out."

Villarreal said he has contacted UNT's Division for Institutional Equity and Diversity and is gathering information about the incident.

The allegations came as a shock to UNT junior defensive lineman Joseph Miller, who is black, and several area coaches and athletic directors who have worked with Dodge over the years. Dodge spent the 2000-06 seasons at Southlake Carroll and won four state titles in his last five years at the school.

"I heard about it this morning and was shocked," Miller said. "I have not been a victim of anything like that. Hopefully this will pass over."

Southlake Carroll athletic director Ronnie Tipps said Dodge never had problems with minority athletes during his tenure at the school.

"I am very surprised," Tipps said. "Coach Dodge and that staff are kid-centered. They care not just about winning, but making winners out of kids in life. That would be totally out of character for anyone on that staff, and I know most of them."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Foul language was being used on the sideline that was redirected by a coach," Dodge said. "He was insubordinate when he was being redirected. I can promise you that 'hood' was not the only word that was used. I don't have any problem with that word."

This is what I've thought all along. I do wonder what the foul word was though. If this is the case, I hope that the NAACP comes down on Green for that one.

Chatman is just jumping on the bandwagon because he is suspended and wants to hurt the people that hurt him. You missed practice, that has nothing to do with race, get over it.

Edited by Cr1028

Chatman was suspended earlier in the year. Dodge said his policy is not to go into detail about why players are suspended, but Chatman said he missed a running session.

I believe TD has a rule about 'no practice - no play'.

Dodge indicated that UNT's staff had problems with Green earlier in the season.

"It wasn't a racial issue," Dodge said. "It was a disciplinary issue."

I figured it was more than the 'hood' comment that landed him back in the dog house.

It's still unfortunate that this couldn't have been settled internally without the press and NAACP getting involved.

I like this line...

"Southlake Carroll athletic director Ronnie Tipps said Dodge never had problems with minority athletes during his tenure at the school. "

I'm pretty sure there weren't any minority athletes at SLC, all a bunch of talented white boys!

The only thing that mattered to me in that article was the comment by Joseph Miller. That right there tells you these are two kids that feel wronged and are crying about it.

Basically under DD they could do whatever they wanted, we know that. That was evident both on and off the field. I don't think we need to rehash some issues in New Orleans, not to mention discipline on the field. Relate it to a child, if they can run roughshot and do whatever and then you instill discipline some might rebel.

The involvement of Chapman was an eye-opener, and then even more was the retort of Miller.

Dodge is too awesome to touch right now, so it has to be the players. Somehow.

Please keep spinning this.

I think it is Chatman out of Conroe instead of (DE) Chapman out of China Springs. But yeah, it's starting to sound like a couple of guys that don't like the new regime's approach to discipline. At least I hope that's all there is to it.

This is the part that seems to get missed, and the first thing that's made sense.

The involvement of Chapman was an eye-opener, and then even more was the retort of Miller.

Dodge is too awesome to touch right now, so it has to be the players. Somehow.

Please keep spinning this.

Help me understand. Are you saying that everyone is assuming Dodge to be faultless simply because of how much street cred he has with our fan base right now? Or, are you being sarcastic...and logical...and saying that this is two athletes who are throwing out the only accusation that is always given attention, even when it's from left field?

Yes, the words "street cred" were used to be facetious.

Two more scholarships for talented young athletes with the right attitudes to rebuild this program...and counting!

Dickey let the inmates run the asylum and Dodge won't!

I like this line...

"Southlake Carroll athletic director Ronnie Tipps said Dodge never had problems with minority athletes during his tenure at the school. "

I'm pretty sure there weren't any minority athletes at SLC, all a bunch of talented white boys!

Tre Newton, Anthony Ford, Arius Ford,.........

Edited by EastTexasMG

I am not worried now, considering who filed the complaints, 2 players who do not like being disciplined. If Jamario or Miller join the complain then maybe there is something to it. Now IMO the local NAACP is going to do some grandstanding, while only listening to Chatman and Green and not taking in the whole story as is usual. cough.....Duke....cough

I think Green and Chatman will have their day, but in the end they will come out looking worse by essentially complaining about being disciplined.

I predict that this turns out to be 2 kids that do not take kindly to strict discipline and order. If so, I hope that Green and Chatman lose their scholarships and booted off the team for the disgrace they bring to themselves, the team, and UNT.

Don't print..."pretty sure" as a positive if you don't know. I am not familar with the make up of the SLC team...but I know of one player Tre Newton is black which makes your statement incorrect. I would love to have Tre Newton on the NT team, isn't he a close friend of Riley Dodge?

I like this line...

Sounds like it could be some players who didn't like the new coaches' rules, i.e. discipline. Just a thought. See you at the Navy game.

GMG!

Bingo - this whole year will be a flushing of sort, as we should have by the end of the year, those players who want to play and the one's who don't want to be a part of the future gone. The Navy game can't get here quick enough, especially since we will win.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

This whole thing is classic. 2 backup DBs that have discipline issues are told to clean it up. They don't want to, think it's stepping on their toes and whatnot, so they cry racism. Maybe those that aren't crying racism, whites & blacks, are the ones that are actually behaving as Dodge expects his players to behave. This is almost like the "white refs call more fouls on black NBA players." More less-than-upstanding players are black, and therefore need more encouragement to clean up their act.

This whole freakin thing makes no sense? Most of us have interacted with Dominique Green, and he has always been freindly and respectful? I've talked to him several times (including once at the bookstore last year with my son) and Dom was fantastic, even after a horrible loss. This just does not make sense to me? If he did scream an expletive at a coach, it had to be just venting his frustration from losing. Of course there is more to the story, but it needs to be delt with quickly and put behind us. 2+2=5 so far in this thing? Also, I hope the recruits who watched channel 8 news last night also see or hear the outcome of this issue. Impressions go a long way.

To paraphrase a famous movie..."Think about it. You yell BARACUDA...and people say What?..Huh?.., but you yell SHARK, and you've got a major panic on your hands."

Get this behind us Rick V., this thing has SHARK written all over it.

GMG!!!

"I can assure you that we don't have any racial problems on our team, at all," Dodge said. "I can lay my head on my pillow at night knowing that we run a program that takes care of our players and treats them the right way."

Is that why that several Sr. have been told that the spring term will not be paid for under their ships?????????????????

Maybe now he will rethink his actions