If We Go 0-12 Don't Be Suprised If There Are Some Big Changes

UNT_playmaker

A true or let me add PROUD Div 1 Football Program would fire the head coach and all the assistants after a 0-12 start, especially considering that half of the teams in their conference in are ranked below #110 in the nation.

All I am saying is if this continues, watch for changes, im not even talking about from AD Rick Villareal, but from our prez Gretchen Bataille and the BOR. Our prez thinks our football program is key to building this university and has high expectations for this team. 0-12, speaks loudly....Villareal should have intervened when NONE of our coaches had experience coaching defense in the college ranks. NONE WHATSOEVER. DODGE is to Mendoza what Dickey was to FLANIGAN. He won't fire a friend, not a coach, a friend. Mendoza will bring down Dodge, like Flanigan brought down Dickey.

In my opinion our sure win of the season was ULL, some say, FIU, well it doesnt look good.

Attendance will be below 10,000 for the remainder of the season, except the NAVY game....

We are the Buffalo and Temple of NCAA FOOTBALL in the nation.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I don't believe NT will lose all 12 games this year . 2nd if we fired a coach after his first season...we would NEVER get a coach of any substance to come to North Texas. Anyone with knowledge of college coaching knows it takes more than the first 5 games of a new coaches first year to change a FB program that had hit the skids, in the greatest majority of coaching changes...the first several years.............NOT 5 GAMES...

******************************************************************************************************************************

I seem to remember DD had only 3 winning seasons at NT in his 9 years... and won only 8 games in his first 3 years at NT and 4 in his last two seasons at NT, is this what you want again.

******************************************************************************************************************************

I would bet you are wrong on the attendence at NT games this season lets wait and see before giving up

**************************************************************************************

When you make an absolute statement you should be correct...Butch LaCruix coached DB for 7 years at NT and played DB for the Pittsburgh steelers for 2 years. Scott Vestal served as a defensive grad asst for the last 4 years on the SMU staff .

At least two of our asst coaches have extensive College coaching experience...Chuck Petersen Air Force offensive coordinator for 7 seasons..named asst coach of the year in Div 1 by American Coaching Assoc, ...Spencer Leftwich 9 years at NT as OL coach, 2 years as OL coach at NMSU and the last 4 years at Tulsa 3 or 4 years.

His staff is a mixture of college and HS coaching AND playing experience at the college level.

"NONE of our coaches had experience coaching defense in the college ranks. NONE WHATSOEVER"

A true or let me add PROUD Div 1 Football Program would fire the head coach and all the assistants after a 0-12 start, especially considering that half of the teams in their conference in are ranked below #110 in the nation.

All I am saying is if this continues, watch for changes, im not even talking about from AD Rick Villareal, but from our prez Gretchen Bataille and the BOR. Our prez thinks our football program is key to building this university and has high expectations for this team. 0-12, speaks loudly....Villareal should have intervened when NONE of our coaches had experience coaching defense in the college ranks. NONE WHATSOEVER. DODGE is to Mendoza what Dickey was to FLANIGAN. He won't fire a friend, not a coach, a friend. Mendoza will bring down Dodge, like Flanigan brought down Dickey.

In my opinion our sure win of the season was ULL, some say, FIU, well it doesnt look good.

Attendance will be below 10,000 for the remainder of the season, except the NAVY game

Two recent examples of teams that went 0-12 and DIDN'T FIRE THEIR COACH OR COACHES:

UCF---which went 9-4 and went to a bowl in George O'Leary's second season.

NMSU---which is much better now, in Hal Mumme's 3rd (?) season.

Also, further proof that Playmaker should stick to forecasting hurricanes (or drinking them): Buffalo is no longer the prototypical bad NCAA Div. I team.

Anyway, I still believe in Coach Dodge and will be at his radio show Monday night, to let him know it.

Edited by SUMG

Dodge deserves this season to build for next season. You don't bring a coach of his caliber to a program in such bad shape and fire him after one year for on-field performance, no matter how terrible it is. I still think Dodge is the right guy to turn the Mean Green around.

I agree...don't fire Dodge, but something has to be done on defense.

Let this season be what it is, if next season the defense is just as bad, or not significantly better, you HAVE to fire Mendoza

I just can't agree with this... I agree on the Dodge part, but Mendoza needs to go, like NOW. This defense is terrible. ...and there is no indication of any changes to improve the situation.

Two recent examples of teams that went 0-12 and DIDN'T FIRE THEIR COACH OR COACHES:

UCF---which went 9-4 and went to a bowl in George O'Leary's second season.

NMSU---which is much better now, in Hal Mumme's 3rd (?) season.

Also, further proof that Playmaker should stick to forecasting hurricanes (or drinking them): Buffalo is no longer the prototypical bad NCAA Div. I team.

Anyway, I still believe in Coach Dodge and will be at his radio show Monday night, to let him know it.

What North Texas needs are fan/alums who give a coach at least 9 years to get his football program above .500. Oh! Wait a minute! We've already done that.:(

I know the NFL and NCAA D1-A are apples and oranges in most ways, but this example may not be one of those apples & oranges things at all:

Coach Jimmy Johnson won (was it "1") game his first year as the new coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Probably the #1 thing that Coach JJ had in his first diastrous year in Dallas was a young QB in which to begin his building program, ie, Troy Aikman.

What Coach Todd Dodge has to begin his own building program at UNT is true frosh' QB Giovanni Vizza. On that, true Mean Green fans, we can build upon.

Now for those who were most recently on Todd Dodge's Bandwagon, now off of it and (typically) will be back on it when he, uh, starts winnning because of............. future and much better across the board recruiting which will translate to wins above the past Bottom 25 programs we all endured; anyway, don't further embarrass yourselves with what you are posting now while we are down. We won't stay down--we never have now have we?

I gave Darrell Dickey all but his last 2 years (out of his 9) in Denton to "git'er done and myself and many others did not jump off his bandwagon his first 6 games OR even in................... his first 4 years when things looked pretty darn bleak, either. I recommend to those who are flakier-than-hell and typical Metroplex college football "front runner" fans to give this thing more than just 6 gol' darned football games. Hellsbells! We gave another coach 9 years to reach .500 in W/L/s and get us out of our annual SBC/Bottom 25 cesspool--it just didn't happen and he's at Utah State as an assistant coach (for the time being).

Give our new HFC some time (because UNT officials are most definitely going to); but TDodge's work ethic as well as getting us back to recruiting DFW area high schools for beginners suggests to many that he will, in fact..............GIT ER' DONE!

The upside and most positive spin for this 2007 Mean Green football campaign is that we have a true frosh' QB in which we can build something very solid in light of what present trends for our future recruiting classes are telling us.

Come on, folks, lets all enjoy this Mean Green journey--detours and all.

BTW, Old Timer, your aforementioned post was excellent (and so right on the mark).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Some of the posts on this board amaze me. I haven't counted, but there seem to be more negative posts than positive ones. Yeah, I know, 0-5, Mendoza can't coach, the defense is terrible, Meager attacks, etc, etc. Do you think the coaches actually read this site and the comments make a difference? They don't, but I'll tell you who does, future recruits and their families.

I think all will agree UNT needs more talent. Venting frustration is fine, but let's be constructive. Posts about firing coaches and personal attacks on players this early in the new regime will not help UNT get where they need to go.

There are still seats left on the train!

Go Mean Green!

Some of the posts on this board amaze me. I haven't counted, but there seem to be more negative posts than positive ones. Yeah, I know, 0-5, Mendoza can't coach, the defense is terrible, Meager attacks, etc, etc. Do you think the coaches actually read this site and the comments make a difference? They don't, but I'll tell you who does, future recruits and their families.

I think all will agree UNT needs more talent. Venting frustration is fine, but let's be constructive. Posts about firing coaches and personal attacks on players this early in the new regime will not help UNT get where they need to go.

There are still seats left on the train!

Go Mean Green!

To answer that yes, coaches do read this sight. I did when I worked there and some of the posts that I read were, how do I put this in a nice way?, "ignorant?" I say that because alot of times people would make claims on Posts that were absolutely untrue. I would be like, "and people actually believe this?" So, I would guarantee that coaches read these posts. Does it make a difference? No, they just look at it as outsiders looking in, that really don't know what's going on with the team. Now at this point with all the negative posts about Mendoza Dodge might request that none of his coaches read this board anymore. That would be smart.

Man, I just remember this summer all of the positive posts. They probably couldn't wait to read this board. One thing we should watch is that the PLAYERS read this board too. So some of these posts could put more doubt in their heads about their coaches. Doubt plus losing equals more losing.

As was mentioned earlier in the season, this is Dodge's team and Dodge's coaches. No reason to bail out on TD after five games; no reason to bail out if we go 0-12. Coach Dodge has to make defensive coaching changes in the offseason. He has to. If he's hardheaded and keeps the same Defensive staff, then we have reason to worry.

0-12 is a distinct possibly given how sloowwww we are on defense. That UL QB flat outran us last night. I was there. I did a double take when Desormeaux?, whatever, outran Dominique Green for a long first down.

Guys, we are not a good team. Our defense is terrible and our OL can't block very well. The bright side was Vizza. He had jitters of course. Remember that last year he was throwing to his buddies in high school games. He looks soooooo young! The kid is going to be a good one at North Texas. Met his Dad. Very nice man who had to be proud of his son. Don Giovanni will reign supreme at North Texas.

Hated to JMo go out of the game, but I thought Micah Mosely did a fine job. And he looks soooooo young!

Edited by DeepGreen

To answer that yes, coaches do read this sight. I did when I worked there and some of the posts that I read were, how do I put this in a nice way?, "ignorant?" I say that because alot of times people would make claims on Posts that were absolutely untrue. I would be like, "and people actually believe this?" So, I would guarantee that coaches read these posts. Does it make a difference? No, they just look at it as outsiders looking in, that really don't know what's going on with the team. Now at this point with all the negative posts about Mendoza Dodge might request that none of his coaches read this board anymore. That would be smart.

Man, I just remember this summer all of the positive posts. They probably couldn't wait to read this board. One thing we should watch is that the PLAYERS read this board too. So some of these posts could put more doubt in their heads about their coaches. Doubt plus losing equals more losing.

Coach Archie, thank you very much for that post.

GMG!

Attendance will be below 10,000 for the remainder of the season, except the NAVY game....

Aren't you the "not-so-bright crayon in the box" that came up with the "not-so-sharp knife in the drawer" plan to lead the student body to tear down the goal post before the game was even over in '04?!

I rest my case.

As was mentioned earlier in the season, this is Dodge's team and Dodge's coaches. No reason to bail out on TD after five games; no reason to bail out if we go 0-12. Coach Dodge has to make defensive coaching changes in the offseason. He has to. If he's hardheaded and keeps the same Defensive staff, then we have reason to worry.

0-12 is a distinct possibly given how sloowwww we are on defense. That UL QB flat outran us last night. I was there. I did a double take when Desormeaux?, whatever, outran Dominique Green for a long first down.

Guys, we are not a good team. Our defense is terrible and our OL can't block very well. The bright side was Vizza. He had jitters of course. Remember that last year he was throwing to his buddies in high school games. He looks soooooo young! The kid is going to be a good one at North Texas. Met his Dad. Very nice man who had to be proud of his son. Don Giovanni will reign supreme at North Texas.

Hated to JMo go out of the game, but I thought Micah Mosely did a fine job. And he looks soooooo young!

I thought it was just me who observed that. At the beginning of the game, I thought "damn, this looks like a High School game". And I wasn't just commenting on the speed, it was the sloppy execution as well.

BTW, I have absolutely no problems with the offense that Coach Dodge has installed. I'm sorry that I can't say the same for the rest of the game...defense, special teams, kicking....etc.

BTW(2) Did anyone notice that Jim Harbaugh's Stanford team beat USC.

BTW (3.. and this is directed at FFR) I notice that WTA&M is 6-0.

Edited by SilverEagle

To answer that yes, coaches do read this sight. I did when I worked there and some of the posts that I read were, how do I put this in a nice way?, "ignorant?"

Keep in mind, the originator of this thread has predicted hurricanes to hit Denton, TX. That should tell you all you need to know. Ignorant is a much nicer word than crossed my mind.

Thanks for the educated clarification. The issue is that it really makes no difference if coaches read it or not. It's the effect of negative comments. Thanks for the additional input about the players reading this board, and the effect that "sowing the seeds of doubt" could have on the team. Winning is about attitude.

Go Mean Green!

Some of the posts on this board amaze me. I haven't counted, but there seem to be more negative posts than positive ones. ... Do you think the coaches actually read this site and the comments make a difference? They don't, but I'll tell you who does, future recruits and their families.

You're piling it pretty deep here. There are more negative posts than positive ones because there's almost nothing positive to say about how the season has gone so far. Hope for the future doesn't mean fans are obligated to lie about the present. Do you think future recruits and their families have to read this board to find out that the team is one of the worst in Division I-A?

Thanks for the educated clarification. The issue is that it really makes no difference if coaches read it or not. It's the effect of negative comments. Thanks for the additional input about the players reading this board, and the effect that "sowing the seeds of doubt" could have on the team. Winning is about attitude.

All the positive thinking in the world ain't worth a fast cornerback. Players aren't idiots, and they aren't wimps either. You really are in the wrong place if you think the hardcore fans on GoMeanGreen.Com should be waving pom-poms after an 0-5 start, lest we hurt the delicate sensibilities of the team.

Firing Dodge is NOT the solution.

Does he deserve criticism? Yes.

Does his staff deserve criticism? Yes.

Should he look into changing his staff around? Yes.

Should Dodge be fired? NO.

Give the man a chance, he's only been the head coach for one year. He's earned a right to get this thing going within a 3 year window.

Believe me, I'm not happy at all with the defensive play. Something has to be done. But calling for Dodge's head really makes little sense at this point. And I thought I was harsh!!!!!!!!! :D