ntmeangreen11

Category----------Rank--Actual

Scoring Defense----119----62.00 points/game

Rushing Defense---103----223.00 yards/game

Pass Defense-------115----378.00 yards/game

Total Defense-------117----601.00 yards/game

Sacks-----------------T-103--.50 sacks/game

Tackles For Loss----110----3.00/season

However, as of today, the offense is 3rd in the nation in passing yards per game. ;)

Edited by ntmeangreen11

Category----------Rank--Actual

Scoring Defense----119----62.00 points/game

Rushing Defense---103----223.00 yards/game

Pass Defense-------115----378.00 yards/game

Total Defense-------117----601.00 yards/game

Sacks-----------------T-103--.50 sacks/game

Tackles For Loss----110----3.00/season

However, as of today, the offense is 3rd in the nation in passing yards per game. ;)

Ya know...there was a time when things were almost exactly the opposite. Highly ranked D...low ranked offense. I believe we made that work for us.

Not making excuses for the defense. They way they've been looking the last 2 weeks is ridiculous. They need to have their collective asses kicked in practice this week...

I say we go XFL style and change the name on Roman's jersey to "Toast". I can overlook getting burnt by Big 12 guys if you come back and prove it was just one game. All I saw tonight was more of the same from a not very good WAC team.

Roman showed a lot of hustle and stopped a 46 yard TD reception form happening. He racedfrom across the field (not his man) and chased down a defender and tackled him at the one yard line. That goes a LOOONNGGG way in my book and I give him all the credit in the world. I am glad Roman isi here at UNT.

Roman showed a lot of hustle and stopped a 46 yard TD reception form happening. He racedfrom across the field (not his man) and chased down a defender and tackled him at the one yard line. That goes a LOOONNGGG way in my book and I give him all the credit in the world. I am glad Roman isi here at UNT.

I totally agree, this was after the receiver had juked the defender out of his shoes, and outran another. But he couldn't outrun Roman. I think he was a great addition to this team, and a late one at that, in an area we are not so deep at.

The secondary is a concern but our biggest concern should be a lack of a pass rush. We put pressure on Justin Willis and he becomes the average/below average QB that he is. The few times that we got to him proved it.

To add onto this thought that I agree with...Our run defense really needs to tighten up. We have way too many big holes followed by poor tackling to be effective against the run. Arkansas will eat our run defense alive if we are not willing to make some adjustments.

The secondary is a concern but our biggest concern should be a lack of a pass rush. We put pressure on Justin Willis and he becomes the average/below average QB that he is. The few times that we got to him proved it.

I totally agree! Our pass rush must improve or else our DB's are in for a long season. Similar to the Dallas Cowboys problems last year (NO pass rush equals= Roy Williams TOAST).

I also agree that Willis is way over-hyped. He is a great runner but he makes bad decisions and has minimal arm strength. His deep ball makes Meager look like Farve!!!!

I say we go XFL style and change the name on Roman's jersey to "Toast". I can overlook getting burnt by Big 12 guys if you come back and prove it was just one game. All I saw tonight was more of the same from a not very good WAC team.

I don't remember, when did you play DB in college. Oh yea, you probably didn't. Neither did I, I didn't play college football and I comment on the play of the team. But you use the word "WE" as if you are a member of the team. I'm just guessing, but I would say you didn't have the athletic ability to play college ball (I know I didn't), but that is why I always attempt to use "NT" rather than "WE."

I realize Roman has not had much success this season for NT, but Dodge must see something in the young man or he wouldn't be on the field. Don't blame him, blame Dom Green and others, who haven't shown enough to earn playing time.

You are putting way too much thought into it. It is much easier to sit in the upper deck and immediately attribute every pass completion to the defensive back nearest the receiver. Never mind that none of us know the actual coverage call, responsibilities, or the fact the QB could take his time (which allows any QB to pick apart any schemes). Let's blame Roman, and our new "3rd down draw"....the dreaded "Cover 1".

I firmly believe that the difference is in the defensive line. The 02 line was a wrecking crew, it helped the entire defense shine. Always remember that the entire defense begins with the DT position. If you don't have real hosses there, it will show in the whole defense. Trouble is, when the big dog schools get finished recruiting those DT playmakers, what's left are fairly average. If Dodge can find us some DTs we will be a team to take on anyone!

this honeymoon period with the defensive coaching staff is over. if your defensive line is bad... you have to make some adjustments. we didn't make an adjustment in the OU game (like it mattered) but we also didn't make many adjustments against SMU. there are not many defensive lines that are going to put a lot of pressure on a quick QB when it's 4 on 6 every play. Evyn Roman has played horrible but I have to agree with the sentiment that it's not completely his fault. It doesn't matter how good you are, you can't be left out on an island all night with no pressure and expect not to get torched. i understand that because of the type of offense that we are running, it puts a lot more pressure on our defense and i am not trying to pretend that I know "x's and o's" better than Dodge or his staff. However, I have not seen any adjustments in either game. Where is our great linebacking crew at?? Where is some sort of blitz?? Am I missing something here??

---You can't fix everything at once and Dodge needed receivers etc. to run this offense...besides freshman are more likely to help offense than defense because physical maturity matters more there (strength,size). You have to remember the defense is mostly DD boys and we won only 5 games in two years. Patience... At least what we are seeing is entertaining...and the offense is a lot of fun to watch in the meantime......We threw for 601 yards against SMU, the most EVER in a game and almost 1/2 of we threw all last year. Can you just imagine what will be going on when our defense even gets to average....much less very good??

---As for fans... don't you think a lot of people would like to see an offense and that kind of yards and actually points (and we could have easily had 28 more points but turned the ball over or some other bad thing happened. Also their punters were very lucky to get the punts to roll sideways inside the 5 a few times. UNT had more first downs and more yards but unfortunately more turnovers...thus was outscored.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The D has 2 weeks to get ready. The secondary needs guys at the corner position. They are getting torched. Of course some pressure from the D-lineman would help. I am not sure it will get much better this year. Unless I am wrong, we did not really sign many on the defensive side of the ball.

We signed the following defensive players in 2007:

LB Marquese Davis

DT Jesse Desoto

CB Kevin Ealy

S Bron Hager

LB Justin Padron

LB AJ Penson

DE Kyle Russo

DT Jordan Scoggins

DB Greg Garden

CB Latif Nurudeen(transferred under Dodge)

2008 Verbals:

DT Troy Franklin

S Darian Williams

LB Derek Tomlin

S Kenny Barrett

It is too early to play "The Blame Game"...

The Defense is bad, no doubt, but this is a group trying to play an whole new scheme, and I don't see any lack of effort on the field.

I agree that the coaching staff needs to make some sheme & playcall adjustments.

I agree that tackling needs to be worked on BIG TIME this season... (Tackle with your arms and whole body, not just your shoulder)

...but to start pinning this on any of the players specifically right now is just premature.