Nt Over Smu?

NT91

I don't really think either team played well this weekend. I'm neither mad nor upset about their performance against Tech. Being away from SMU is kind of nice, you can watch the game.. and just flip the channel once it's out of control. I didn't see UNT's game with OU, but I find it hard to believe their performance deserves much more credibility than SMU's today. What I saw from SMU today was the ability to drive down the field, and not score a TD, and the ability to drive down the field, and then fumble the ball in key situations. What's that? Same sh!t, different year. Unfortunately, most SMU fans have not yet come to accept that things will never change. Once they accept this and subsequently lower their expectations, they'll be much happier. But I guess trying to erase the memories of the "golden days" is like trying to convince my grandparents that the Civil War is over.. despite them not having lived through it.. impossible.... which perhaps explains why a new generation of SMU fans is (referring to generation so the "is" is proper) equally bitter (drawing parallels is a good lesson learned from law school).

SMU cannot tackle. SMU can run the ball with Martin. Willis looked awful. (If he looked like this last year, I don't know, I only saw the UAB game or whichever one was on ESPN on some random week night). Looks like the punter and kicker are good. The team looked completely unorganized and out of it. Bennett looked like he was staring at the Partner in Charge after he lost a client that accounted for 60% of the firm's business.

Here's my relatively objective analysis. Both teams sucked really bad in game 1. Fans of both teams can be embarassed, and I wouldn't call them "bad fans." Those kinds of losses are just downright awful. And neither game really left the opposing team with much to look at. Yes, some fans can search for glimmers of hope -- but c'mon, 79-10? 49-9? You did about 3 things right out of about 400 tries. Both teams need to scratch the games from their head, and pretend their seasons start next Saturday.

Advantages SMU: At home, new coach/scheme at UNT, won't seem as fast paced as Texas Tech offense (smaller line, etc)

Advantages UNT: Phil Bennett is coaching SMU, Willis might have a sophomore slump, not as much time to prepare, played against OU so won't seem as difficult (see reasons for Texas Tech)

Unfortunately, I see this game as being close. And I think that will not be a very good telling of how the rest of their seasons will be. If one wins decisively, I see that team going on and doing well in their conference. Using it as a boost. However, if the game is close, and esp if the game is a sloppy affair, I think the only thing that team will have to cling on to is bragging rights from what will become one of the most unimportant football games of the season (in the general landscape of the sport). Neither team I would qualify as "good" right now; possibly not even mediocre yet. Fortunately for UNT fans, you have a coach in place that will turn things in the right direction. I think Phil Bennett is a really nice guy, but I'm not sure he's the person to turn around SMU. Unfortunately, I think Jesus is pretty busy trying to make sure Hillary Clinton doesn't get elected -- so he likely won't be available to help until after the 2008 season.

I'm opposed to predicting scores, but just for fun: SMU 22 (one TD and the rest FG's), UNT 20

*** I reserve the right to be completely wrong, so therefore refuse the ability to eat crow regarding any statements or predictions referred to above.

Willis still doesn't look 100% after off season hand surgery. He didn't seem to have the same velocity on his passes as he did last year. If PB can figure it out , the game plan is simple.. run D-Mart 25+ times and the Ponies win. Keep doing the same crap , UNT pulls it out.

SouthernMustang, you do realize we run a no-huddle offense now, right? We should be running a very similar pace compared to TT.

I must admit, I did chuckle when SMU tried to run a no-huddle ... and got a delay of game ... twice from what I can remember. That "ALL OUT!!! ALL OUT!!!" was pretty funny as well. Here's hoping your coaching staff makes some adjustments ... after they play North Texas.

PS. SMU just got dawgged on ESPN for the "ALL OUT!!! ALL OUT!!!" blitz. 71.gif

UNT is supposed to be in a rebuilding year. SMU is supposed to be in a Bowl year. I expect SMU to be favored by 10-14, mainly because of home field and supposedly more experienced players. If UNT wins I expect SMU fans to be calling for Bennett's job by Sunday morning. If SMU wins I expect perhaps a starting QB change for UNT, not much else. UNT has everything to win and SMU everything to lose.

I truely see this game as a closely contested game.

I'm hoping it will be a well played game but could be just a sloppy game as well

Now I know people are going to say I'm on the fence with this but I see the score being:

31-24 either way.

Which ever team figures "it" out the first will come away with the win

Here's to the Mean Green figuring "it" out and SMU looking to just buy "it" and finding there is no sellers (even with their hard earned Daddy's money?

"UNT is supposed to be in a rebuilding year. SMU is supposed to be in a Bowl year. I expect SMU to be favored by 10-14."

Exactly. SMU should win this game. They need to, because this is probably the low point of our program for at least the next 5 years ;)

I want to see our guys improve and get some confidence. A win would be nice. But, the reality is that it should not be expected at this point in time.

Edited by akriesman

I don't even know how you can say that. A win at SMU SHOULD be expected!

Why?

You sound just like a PhONY fan. You think NT is entitled to the win.

NEW FLASH: In college football, a team must play well to win a game. Just ask Michigan.

I think the Mean Green is capable of playing with the Mustangs. There is a high probability that NT outplays SMU, but I beg NT fans, "DON'T TURN COLORS. STAY POSITIVE, NO MATTER THE OUTCOME." Stay positive, even if Dodge leads his team to an 0-12 season. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Why?

You sound just like a PhONY fan. You think NT is entitled to the win.

NEW FLASH: In college football, a team must play well to win a game. Just ask Michigan.

I think the Mean Green is capable of playing with the Mustangs. There is a high probability that NT outplays SMU, but I beg NT fans, "DON'T TURN COLORS. STAY POSITIVE, NO MATTER THE OUTCOME." Stay positive, even if Dodge leads his team to an 0-12 season. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Exactly. Wins don't just happen. We couldn't stop the DeMyron Martin-Willis combo last year. They were eating our lunch until Martin went down. What makes you think we can stop them this year, especially given our poor tackling and overall cluelessness on defense? I want to win. I want the team and coaches to expect to win. But, I'm not so foolish as to count the SMU game in the win column until I see how we are performing on the field.

Looked to me that the SMU running game is pretty bad except when the QB takes off.

If we can contain the QB's passing and running it appears as if we will defeat them. He seemed to be about all they had on offense.