What Are We Made Of?

emmitt01

No, not the team, I know what they're made of because I saw it first hand. And, let me tell you, I am impressed because they didn't roll over like past teams I've seen.

What I want to know is what is this Mean Green fanbase made of. We all talked the talk all summer about taking 10,000 to SMU next Saturday. We talked about making that place Green and showing that last season was no fluke. Are we men and women enough to now walk the walk? I know this is wasted on 99.9% percent on this board because we'll be there regardless but let's not let the "fence sitters" use last night as an excuse. My mantra has always been that if you want a better product on the field then put a better product in the stands. OU didn't come roaring out of the gate last night purely based on their talent and willpower. 85,000 plus fans sure helped. We may not be able to deliver 85,000 but let's get as close as we possibly can! I have seen it FAR TOO MANY TIMES that our fans jump ship at the first sign of adversity. Ladies and Gents, if this is how we continue to conduct business then expect what you saw last night to continue. NO TEAM will perform up to their ability if they look up in the stands and see that we have given up. No team.

So it's nut check time. If you visit the SMU board right now I guarantee their spirits are high based on what they saw last night. Let's march into Ford Stadium next Saturday and put a little raincloud over their heads.

Our team will be busting their asses this week to fix what went wrong. They know, and we do too if we think about it, that SMU isn't even in OU's league. They are not that fast. They are not that strong. They are not that dominant. Our Mean Green (think about that word "our") will suck it up and put everything on the line come Sep 8th. I will be there, standing the whole game, trying to give them the boost they need. Who's with me?

I agree completely and I think most of the board is still on board and will show up in force next week. It's the casual fans who aren't on the board that we have to win over. Yesterday dealt a huge blow to that but with a good showing next week and a good home opener I think they will stick around we just have to keep it fun and exciting on the field.

This is the first post that I have opened since before the game last night. I agree I was really embarsed watching it last night with a group of meangreen fans in a sport bar in SA.

I had been making plan to attend the SMU game next week but after leaving this sports bar after the beginning of third quarter I told myself forget it.

This morning I was thinking it just seems that when I attended NT from 1978 to 1981 we have not be able to get a consistant team. I hope that I am wrong and that this new coach will bring something new to our school.

This is the first post that I have opened since before the game last night. I agree I was really embarsed watching it last night with a group of meangreen fans in a sport bar in SA.

I had been making plan to attend the SMU game next week but after leaving this sports bar after the beginning of third quarter I told myself forget it.

This morning I was thinking it just seems that when I attended NT from 1978 to 1981 we have not be able to get a consistant team. I hope that I am wrong and that this new coach will bring something new to our school.

I attended from 1997 - 2000, and saw some pretty bad losses. But I can say that I have never felt embarrassed by watching our team perform. I have been embarrassed by DD, RF and their actions; but not the guys on the field.

I don't know many things, but I do know that TD will have his boys ready for next week at Ford Field; and their would be nothing greater than watching SMU get beat in their own house. Every program has its down periods, and for the first time in a long time UNT is actively preparing for its upward movement in college football.

Look...the OU game was a shock. We did not really know what to expect...but I am fairly certain THAT was not it.

However, we are all bleeding Mean Green, and will all hang in there. From what I saw and heard, those players did not back down...nor should we.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

BEAT SMU!!!

SMU should be worried. We played well last night for the first game. You cant ask for much against OU. SMU now know we not only can ran but we can throw. UNT is a 180 team. There should be a 1-1 north texas come Saturday night! We just have to keep the CB's in check and not get lost in the wide outs.

I'm with Emmitt on this. I actually thought the team played better against OU this year than against UT last. I thought Vizza played with confidence for that being the first time out on a game of that magitude. Meager was okay as well.

What did we expect? We didn't have a clue. We had our fantasies, but not a clue. I think we did fine for #114 vs #8. Next week might not be much better, but we should all stick together and stick with the team. Our rebirth is just beginning and you want to be on the bandwagon during the struggle as well as the good times.

Everything depends on how SMU plays on Monday. Texas Tech will not be a stand out time this year. Yeah wo great they have a QB with no one to throw it to. If they send Tech packing them we might want to be upset. But less than 24hrs after the OU game we should not be talking about a loss to SMU.

I still stand with our guys. OU came out with a fury after being humiliated last fall by Boise, and they didn't want to look stupid again. It just so happened, we're the team they start the season with. Also, the spread offense and the pass-heavy style gave OU a ton of chances to score.

I still think our guys can trounce SMU. OU came to play for real last night, and Bob Stoops probably didn't like hearing about Appalachian State beating Mich at their house. Honestly, there are a ton of reasons why our team didn't look like we wanted them to, but I don't think any of them are attributed to bad coaching or lack of effort on the player's part. Dodge still has to undo a lot of what DD did and also has to play with some of the guys DD recruited, whether that be for the better or worse.

Everyone should have seen what this game was going to be like. It's a perennial Top-10 team in a dominant conference. After the UT game last year, the fans and students came out for the first home game. Yes, part of it was SMU, and I'll give you that. But I remember years' past where the first home game was after two "money-game" losses and the fans still showed up. Hopefully it won't be different this year.

As far as SMU goes, the fans should know that we have a good shot at winning this game. The students should know we have a good shot at winning conference games. If people want to see wins, they'll come to the winnable ones.

I will be driving up from Houston for the game. It was VERY painful at SRO in Houston watching the MG get handed their butts, but they will learn from this and turn this around and become what we expected....TD is a winner and this is what winners do.

Also bringing non UNT folk with me. Someone I talked with at SRO (named James) said he is driving up for the game also...see you at SMWho to see us kick their butts.