Campus

KingDL1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving around campus this past weekend (as I was making my way up to Windstar). Anyway, I also noticed that they have razed the old health facility. What are the plans for that site?

Haven't read much on here about the Rayzor Ranch Project. This will be HUGE for UNT and its students (employment opportunities). I was envisioning potential game day experiences of metroplex fans at Rayzor Ranch most of the day; prior to a short shuttle across I-35 to Eagle Point.

And by the way, will I ever see 4 lanes on I-35? (getting through Denton)

Yep. That's Cool Beans. Kinda funny, seeing it as the sole survivor of that pad like that...

so, what all went down? I've been off campus 5+ years now, but methinks Mr. Chopsticks, TJ's (Texas Jive), Tomato, and... something else??

Whoa. Just realized I joined this board 5 years ago today. that's wild.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

I was driving around campus this past weekend (as I was making my way up to Windstar). Anyway, I also noticed that they have razed the old health facility. What are the plans for that site?

Haven't read much on here about the Rayzor Ranch Project. This will be HUGE for UNT and its students (employment opportunities). I was envisioning potential game day experiences of metroplex fans at Rayzor Ranch most of the day; prior to a short shuttle across I-35 to Eagle Point.

And by the way, will I ever see 4 lanes on I-35? (getting through Denton)

I have seen the DOT plans and it has four lanes or more from the Lake Lewisville Bridge past 380

35 b

Overview

I had some that showed the actual proposed highway layout but they are at work somewhere.

Rayzor Ranch

Heres a copy of the proposed plan...the most sensible building to knock down would've been the small grocery store sized building behind where Chopsticks used to be...yet these developers appear to be leaving it as is. Corkscrew and the other small business on the corner of Fry and Oak seem to be making way for a restaurant...maybe it will be a Chotchkies and the servers will have lots of flare...because you know you can get a burger anywhere, but people come to Chotchkies for the people and the atmosphere.

Pathetic design, pathetic city management.

http://www.dentonrc.com/s/dws/img/drc/01-0...24frystreet.pdf

So Corkscrew isn't being razed?

They should have wiped out the whole block it would have been so much better for UNT.

The project includes much more than a CVS. I have not seen a recent site plan.

Heres a copy of the proposed plan...the most sensible building to knock down would've been the small grocery store sized building behind where Chopsticks used to be...yet these developers appear to be leaving it as is. Corkscrew and the other small business on the corner of Fry and Oak seem to be making way for a restaurant...maybe it will be a Chotchkies and the servers will have lots of flare...because you know you can get a burger anywhere, but people come to Chotchkies for the people and the atmosphere.

Really not sure what is pathetic about it?

I have seen the elevations and they are very nice, and the site plans are much more detailed.

Edited by KingDL1

That's the thing that sucks about captitalism. Until the city decides to get it right and start buying property and building their own businesses, we are going to be stuck with this type of stuff. :ph34r:

I have seen the DOT plans and it has four lanes or more from the Lake Lewisville Bridge past 380

35 b

Overview

I had some that showed the actual proposed highway layout but they are at work somewhere.

Rayzor Ranch

If you want to see a real interesting state funding dynamic at work, look at the first two maps. You will notice that the lines for any type of expansion would require the removal of Fouts field to some degree. Anything that TxDot has to tear down, they have to pay for - unless it is already slated for demolition. The world's most expensive game of chicken? I-35 expansion announcement vs the announcement of a new UNT stadium and the subsequent destruction of Fouts. Bet number 1: the Murchison which was built in the "planned" right of way. TxDot fussed, but since they had not officially filed the plans, UNT could do what they wanted. Any new highway widening will likely require the Murchison to be torn down.

Really not sure what is pathetic about it?

I have seen the elevations and they are very nice, and the site plans are much more detailed.

It may end up being a beautiful shopping center...but it doesn't belong there...it belongs in Rayzor Ranch...it belongs on south 288. The businesses that were forced out were not unsuccessful businesses and the city should've stepped in and dictate that the usable buildings and practical businesses stay. I am all for the growth of Denton...but corporate interests needed to be kept to the south and north of the historical areas of Fry St. and the downtown square. I said before...for every Uptown Dallas there is a Deep Ellum...for every Sundance Square there is a West 7th or Berry Street...every city needs shopping centers like this but there were sooo many better places for it...and that makes it pathetic city management

Sorry, had to add:

1089_wide.jpg

It may end up being a beautiful shopping center...but it doesn't belong there...it belongs in Rayzor Ranch...it belongs on south 288. The businesses that were forced out were not unsuccessful businesses and the city should've stepped in and dictate that the usable buildings and practical businesses stay. I am all for the growth of Denton...but corporate interests needed to be kept to the south and north of the historical areas of Fry St. and the downtown square. I said before...for every Uptown Dallas there is a Deep Ellum...for every Sundance Square there is a West 7th or Berry Street...every city needs shopping centers like this but there were sooo many better places for it...and that makes it pathetic city management

I do agree with your philosophy but you would have to have one blind eye and the other one closed to find Fry Street as much more than a run down area similar to a hood in in south Dallas. Now with a romantic eye especially of an alumni you can get a lot more. But most of the those businesses were hardly making as it was and if they faced real market rents would have folded anyways. Unless you are suggesting that the City of Denton should subsidize this area so students can drink and hang out.

I do agree with your philosophy but you would have to have one blind eye and the other one closed to find Fry Street as much more than a run down area similar to a hood in in south Dallas. Now with a romantic eye especially of an alumni you can get a lot more. But most of the those businesses were hardly making as it was and if they faced real market rents would have folded anyways. Unless you are suggesting that the City of Denton should subsidize this area so students can drink and hang out.

I'm not sure which south Dallas hood you've been through but Fry Street was no where near as run down as people are making it out to be. Its a cleaner, safer and more economically successful Deep Ellum and Berry St... In the past 5 years, Chopsticks, Cool Beans, TJ's and Lucky Lous have all made major renovations and I promise you that none of these businesses were struggling and could've easilly handled the possibility of a rent increase...evidence of this is the fact that Chopsticks, Tomato and TJ's are all re-opening in other areas of towns...in the Tomato's case in a higher rent area. I am suggesting that the City should've stepped in with subsidies and stipulations for how the land was use once it was purchased...its the same thing Dallas did in the early 80s with Deep Ellum...and the purpose wasn't exclusivly for students to drink and hang out...regionally Denton is recognized for 2 or 3 things: UNT, the square and Fry St...and for the particular croud and aesthetic associated with these things.

I believe the old health facility site will be used to build the new 90 Million dollar business administration building. I heard that some time ago (from the dean of the COB, who has since resigned) but I don't know if that is still the case or not.

I believe the old health facility site will be used to build the new 90 Million dollar business administration building. I heard that some time ago (from the dean of the COB, who has since resigned) but I don't know if that is still the case or not.

On the master plan it shows a Business building running east and west where the old heath facility was.

I'm not sure which south Dallas hood you've been through but Fry Street was no where near as run down as people are making it out to be. Its a cleaner, safer and more economically successful Deep Ellum and Berry St... In the past 5 years, Chopsticks, Cool Beans, TJ's and Lucky Lous have all made major renovations and I promise you that none of these businesses were struggling and could've easilly handled the possibility of a rent increase...evidence of this is the fact that Chopsticks, Tomato and TJ's are all re-opening in other areas of towns...in the Tomato's case in a higher rent area. I am suggesting that the City should've stepped in with subsidies and stipulations for how the land was use once it was purchased...its the same thing Dallas did in the early 80s with Deep Ellum...and the purpose wasn't exclusivly for students to drink and hang out...regionally Denton is recognized for 2 or 3 things: UNT, the square and Fry St...and for the particular croud and aesthetic associated with these things.

I would have like to have seen the buildings saved also, but the "graffiti paint jobs on most of them and the remaining ones across Fry from the old Tomato spot are ridiculous. That is poor planning to allow those buildings to be painted that was.

regionally Denton is recognized for 2 or 3 things: UNT, the square and Fry St...and for the particular croud and aesthetic associated with these things.

The aesthetic and crowd associated with Fry Street is burned out hippies and all that goes with them. That is the perception in the Metroplex.

And I am extremely glad that "aesthetic and crowd" now need to find a new place to be useless.

So are we to assume that CVS is impervious to loitering by "that crowd"? I'm not so sure it was the businesses or "the old dilapidated buildings" that attracts the "crowd" I think much has to do with the fact that the corner is located across the street from a major liberal arts university.

Thats giving way to much credit to Fry street, most people in DFW don't even know it exists. As far as the businesses being able to make it time will tell, but but from what I saw, from a retail real estate view point you are misinformed as to how successful they were.

As Far as how clean it is, I guess I need some of the cool-aide to see it for more than I do. The nicest part is the stripe where the Tavern is, that parking lot between the buildings is a hole, the inferno is a hole and so on. Good grief its not that big of an area.