La-Monroe - Win

Troy - Loss

MTSU - Win

Navy - Win

ASU - Loss

W Kentucky - Win

FIU - Win

Final 2007 Regular-Season Prediction - 7-5

Keep in mind, they predicted us to lose to SMU last year too. I'll post more later as I read it more thoroughly. I literally just received 5 minutes ago via UPS.

Edited by gangrene

DCTF's rank of our current commitments:

Troy Franklin - Top 25 DL

Willie Taylor - Top 12 Athlete

I don't see Darian Williams, Eloy Atkinson or Derek Tomlin listed on DCTF's evaluation.

And, while I'm at it, here's the DCTF 2007 Post-Spring, two-deep depth chart:

Offense

WR Casey Fitzgerald, Isiah Smith

LT Matthew Menard, Adam Venegas

LG Adam Venegas, Tyler Bailey

C Kelvin Drake, Chad Rose

RG Chad Rose, Nick Foster

RT Robert Peachey, Brian Carlson

WR Korey Washington, Arthur Stubblefield

WR Brandon Jackson, Roderick Johnson

WR Brock Stickler, Ryan Davenport

QB Daniel Meager, Nathan Tune

TB Jamario Thomas, Deavin Cox

K Steven Woodward, Truman Spencer

Defense

DE Jeremiah Chapman, Tye Rexrode

DT Montey Stevenson, Jonathan Stewart

DT Isaac Thomas, Joseph Miller

DE Blake Burruss, Eddrick Gilmore

OLB Brandon Monroe, Craig Robertson

ILB Derek Mendoza, Tobe Nwigwe

OLB Maurice Holman, Colt Mahan

CB Antoine Bush, Gary Oubre

CB Dominique Green, Desmon Chatman

FS Aaron Weathers, Cliff Higgs

SS Roy Loren, Kartey Agbottah

P Truman Spencer, Steven Woodward

Ok, I think that's about all I'll post for now. I want to leave everyone with a reason to run out on Monday and pick up their own copy of DCTF.

Muchos gracias, senor gangrene...

Two questions:

(1) Do we get some good color photos coverage?

(2) Which Mean Green player gets feature coverage or might it be another feature on Todd Dodge instead?

You're welcome Plumm. I had to think about my fellow gmg'ers first...everyone in my office (well, mainly one Aggie and a Longhorn) is trying to look at my copy, but I won't let them.

(1) There are action shots of Jeremiah Chapman, Maurice Holman, Aaron Weathers, Jamario Thomas and the "Breakout Player" - Brandon Jackson.

(2) Jamario Thomas has about a 1/2 page article discussing his similarities to Cyndi Lauper and how he wants to "regain his Freshman form"

As greenminer mentioned, texasfootball.com has a good article about how they wanted to include more coverage of Todd Dodge and even considered him for the front cover, but had to trim the size of the annual down to allow for more advertising.

Edited by gangrene

If you peruse their site, you'll find a story on Dodge w/photoshoot that was published online but yanked from the printed mag because of page constraints.

here ya go, plummy

Great article...

Todd Dodge and Rick Neuheisel were my 2 top choices for our HFC's job and I am very glad it was TD who got the job. None of us in our wildest dreams could have ever imagined all the great local, regional and national ink he and UNT would receive since his hiring.

ASAP, we must get him a "you know what" at the MG Village to show off for his future recruits and to turn Rick V loose on future scheduling for Game Days in Denton with such schools as UT, TAMU, TTech, OU, OSU and Nebraska.

I still defer to my "edited" signature below: :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I was just thinking that 7-5 is one of the more generous media predictions we've been given. I speculate there are some out there that know we have the talent to do some great things, and it didn't show - for one reason or another - on the field the last couple years.

7-5 is not great, but considering our last two years' performances and that Dodge has yet to do anything on the collegiate level, it's a pleasant surprise to see.

So is the prediction that we are Sun Belt champs? It looks like just two conference losses.

Actually, no. The prediction is 7-5 with no bowl appearance. You'll have to pick up a copy to find out who the projected SBC champ is.

I would be very pleasantly surprised if TD were to be able to produce a 7-5 team his first year. That would be a major success.

Yes, I would be pleasantly surprised too...nevertheless, those were my expectations for this season even before I read this article.

Im suprised we beat Navy but lose to SMU also

I think the thought process here is that the team will have a full grasp of the new offense by the time we play Navy plus the fact that we're at home (which sure as hell didn't mean anything the last two years), whereas SMU is just our second game of the season, and it's a road game???

Guys, keep in mind the DCTF UNT coverage was written by Denton RC's Brett Vito, and he probably made the W-L predictions as well. I love the exposure that Brett gets us in the DMN and he does a pretty decent job IMHO of trying to keep his opinions neutral, but he also wears a pair of green-tinted glasses and drinks a pitcher of green Kool-Aid every now and then...not that there's anything wrong with that. That being said, my expectations are for a 7-5 record (or better) because I think we definitely have the talent to dominate the Belt and now we have the disciplined coaching that this team has been lacking for the last few years.

Also, keep in mind, we've got a very nice group of incoming Freshman that can and will contribute immediately. I'm expecting big things from Vizza, but even more so from our group of WRs. That two-deep depth chart listed in DCTF is liable to look very different at the beginning of the season.

If we get to 7-5, this team will be bowling. The increase press, a resurgent, retooled and exciting new product - a slew of new fans = "Bring the Mean Green to my bowl game."

Just my .02 cents.

GMG

If we get to 7-5, this team will be bowling. The increase press, a resurgent, retooled and exciting new product - a slew of new fans = "Bring the Mean Green to my bowl game."

Just my .02 cents.

GMG

7-5 his first year is a stretch, but I'd take it!

Edited by NT80

Brett didn't do the W/L predictions this year...the Dave Campbell's staff did.

Vito Blog

June 09, 2007

Dave Campbell's and season predictions

One of the best moments of the summer for any football fan in Texas is upon us. Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine will be officially released on Monday.

There are a number of preseason publications, but for fans in Texas, Dave Campbell's has it all from high school coverage to stories on the college and pro teams. I have had the honor of writing the North Texas and Sun Belt previews for the last few years.

For a while I also wrote the UNT recruiting review and season predictions as well, but these days the editors of the magazine handle both of those chores.

And when it comes to the season prediction part, I differ on my expectations. The magazine picked UNT to finish 7-5, which is pretty optimistic.

UNT will have a tough time beating Navy, even if the game is at home and a win at Louisiana-Lafayette will be a tough task with Tyrell Fenroy back. ULL's running back might be one of the two or three best players in the league.

Beating Middle Tennessee is a lot to expect for UNT after the Blue Raiders hammered the Mean Green 35-0 in Denton last season.

And don't forget that Florida Atlantic has never lost to UNT. The Mean Green should break through against the Owls this season, but that seems to be the case every year.

UNT could be better this season than in the final year of the Dickey era, but 4-5 wins might be a more realistic prediction of what is to come for the Mean Green.

Posted by Brett Vito at 3:44 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but...

Am I the only one to notice that Coach Dodge is a can of hairspray away from looking like a young Jimmy Johnson? Or, maybe there's just something in the water in Port Arthur that makes everyone look like Jimmy Johnson?

Emmitt/MG61 -

Thanks for posting the info about who made the W/L predictions. Nothing against Vito, but the fact that the DCTF staff compiled the W/L predictions just gave that 7-5 prediction a little more credibility to me. Knowing that the record prediction is the opinion of more than one person also adds a great deal more pressure to TD and staff to live up to those expectations, IMHO. Not that TD and staff care about who predicts what but, if the media as a whole has such high expectations, they will certainly make their opinions known if UNT falls short of them.

All that aside, I am so anxious to see how the incoming Freshman class factors into the 2007 season and I can't wait for the first game....well, maybe not the first game (since it's against OU) but I definitely expect to see BIG things in our game against SMU and I'm looking forward to beating the Ponies for the second consecutive time.

Also funny is where they have writers projecting conference champions (I think on the bottom of page 27), one writer picks Southern Miss to win the Sun Belt.

I saw that, but I think it was just a printing error (because the same writer picked Troy to win CUSA). So, I think those picks were transposed.

BTW.......how 'bout that great ad our Athletic Department put in the mag?????? That was awesome. It's on page 154 or so.