Ok State Coming To Denton

mgsteve

NewsOK.com

We're almost six months from basketball season tipping off, but the 2007-08 Oklahoma State men's basketball schedule is almost complete.

The Cowboys have just two openings left on their schedule: the season opener and, depending on TV scheduling, likely Jan. 5. The conference schedule won't come out until August, so an official schedule is months away, but here's a look at how things are shaping up:

First, what we already know: Thanksgiving week OSU will head to Hawaii to play in the Maui Invitational, in a field that includes Duke, Illinois, LSU, Marquette and Arizona State. That tournament won't be seeded until later in the summer, probably late July or early August. Then, in the first year of the four-year Big 12 and Pac 10 Challenge, OSU will play Washington in Stillwater on Dec. 1

The Cowboys' return game from last year's All-College Classic against Pitt is tentatively scheduled for Dec. 15 at the Petersen Events Center. That location — the Panthers' home court — might be a tough one for OSU fans to swallow since it has previously been a neutral-neutral series (like last year's game against Tennessee in Nashville). But head coach Sean Sutton said he's happy with the deal because of a guarantee that Pitt will play in Stillwater sometime in the future..

Speaking of the All-College, OSU's opponent in the Oklahoma City game has not been determined. But a certain school in Tulsa that is also coached by a Sutton is a rumored potential opponent.

That would make the non-return game of the three-year contract (two of three are return games) considerably more high-profile, at least within the state.

More concrete, however, is a three-year series with North Texas that will start this season on Nov. 13 in Denton. The Mean Green will travel to Stillwater the following two years.

Another interesting matchup in the works is a series with Gonzaga. The schools and ESPN are negotiating a four-year series that would start in 2007-08 in Stillwater and could possibly include a game in Spokane, a game in Oklahoma City and a game in Seattle.

However, nothing is official. Depending on TV, the two plausible dates for this season are Dec. 8 or Jan. 5.

The Jan. 5 date is tough for OSU because many conferences start league play on that date while the Big 12 starts a week later. Last year in that gap OSU scheduled a Division-II school, and the coaching staff might consider doing that again this year if the NCAA allows it.

The reasoning behind scheduling a D-II school is that, while the win isn't included by the NCAA Tournament Committee, it doesn't affect RPI.

The Tulsa series both schools have been trying to negotiate has been pushed back and will be a four-year series that starts in 2008-09.

Great game to schedule, OSU will bring a ton of fans. Nov. 13 (could be the season opener?) will be the Tuesday night after our game with Navy in Football the previous Saturday afternoon. A good week for NT sports!

Edited by NT80

This is GREAT news...this is the type of team we SHOULD be playing all the time. Great team, great traditions and great fans follow OSU. Good job to get OSU here early in the season...it will be fun going to Stillwater to watch the games the next two seasons. I hope my schedule is claer so I can go! Looks like both football AND basketball are looking to upgrade their programs and are, in fact, doing something concrete about it. GREAT! Go Mean Green!

I hope this is not an opener for us though I certainly wouldn't turn down the game either. I'd love to get a couple of games in before we play OSU so that our mostly new lineup have a chance simmer. Nonethess, let's whoop OSU!!

This could turn into another embarrassment from a home fan attendance standpoint. We have played Houston and Indiana in recent memory and both were home games for the opponents, as they had more fans than we did. Perhaps this will not be the case this season.

This could turn into another embarrassment from a home fan attendance standpoint. We have played Houston and Indiana in recent memory and both were home games for the opponents, as they had more fans than we did. Perhaps this will not be the case this season.

Tap the breaks a bit. The Indiana game brought in Bracey Wright fans from the Colony...and when UNT made a strong push at the end of the game it was the loudest I have ever heard the Pit. The Houston game, which is by no means the class of OSU or Indiana, was about 60/40 in favor of Houston...who happened to be playing in a Bowl Game in Ft. Worth later that night. OSU will travel for this game...don't get me wrong...however if this is well marketed (for once) UNT should be about 60/40 with the Pit about 2/3 full and this is a perfect game to have early in the season to carry on the momentum from the end of last season.

I think drex is on to something here...we do not need to be the ones with the 40% in a 60/40 mix at a home game. With OSU we should get some "push" out by the Athletic Dept. and the Exes to boost attendance for this...and all...the basketball games. I admit that I have not been as regular as I was in the past at UNT basketball games...only did two last year...had season tickets for close to twenty years...but...got bored...sorry...it was a fact...kind of like DD football, but like football, the times they are a changing at UNT. YIPPEE!!!! Let's see what we can do to "push" this game into the limelight a bit and get some great attendance...hopefully, it will spill over to all the home games. Needs to....hey, let's get the Exes to do a T-Shirt like they are doing for the Navy football game...."Sink OSU"...O.K., that might not work, but maybe something about Cowboys and their horses?????? Go Mean Green...JOIN THE EXES and Get involved with them!

wow, resisting....urge....to...predict....sellout.... :D

Good move. I'm not sure if NT brought in the 2-time National Champion Florida Gators it would sell out. Basketball is treated like the bastard stepchild at North Texas by fans, including me.

I am going to make a HUGE attempt to make it to Denton for more games this year. But the athletic department needs to make every home game an event. I realize it is difficult to promote a mid-week game againt Belhaven, but this is the game where we need the Kilgore Rangerettes or Mavs Man. Heck get a Dallas Maverick, Texas Ranger, or Dallas Cowboy to come to the game.

I'd like to see Brandon Rogers, the American Idol contestant from North Texas, be booked for a mid-week performance during basketball season. NT needs to tap into using its famous alumni more than it does now.

I'd like to see Brandon Rogers, the American Idol contestant from North Texas, be booked for a mid-week performance during basketball season. NT needs to tap into using its famous alumni more than it does now.

Excellent idea! We could get Dr. Phil to do a halftime psychoanalysis of people who just knew last year's team would cave and this year's recruiting effort would coast.

He could boom into the PA:

"WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKIN'?"

I don't follow American Idol so I've never heard of Rogers. Sorry, but TV show contestants don't strike me as qualifying as famous alumni.

I agree...Just because you are on some "reality TV show" does not make you a "special alum"....Geeez...what are we coming to these days...we even let kids who have not "qualifed" (pass the TAKS test...or whatever it's called these days) to graduate from HS go to their "graduation ceremonies"...give me a break! Reminds me of the little sports teams, etc. these days where everyone gets a trophy. Gee, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings now do we????? Give it up for the PC crowd! Let's get some "quality" alums back for events...UNT has some great alumn who have made real differences in their chosen fields...let's hear from them...OK...off my soapbox!

I agree...Just because you are on some "reality TV show" does not make you a "special alum"....Geeez...what are we coming to these days...we even let kids who have not "qualifed" (pass the TAKS test...or whatever it's called these days) to graduate from HS go to their "graduation ceremonies"...give me a break! Reminds me of the little sports teams, etc. these days where everyone gets a trophy. Gee, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings now do we????? Give it up for the PC crowd! Let's get some "quality" alums back for events...UNT has some great alumn who have made real differences in their chosen fields...let's hear from them...OK...off my soapbox!

How you managed to get:

-- a lack of love for American Idol

-- TAKS

-- kids' participation awards

-- and PC (whatever that empty, worn-out, early '90s cliche means)

into one post was awe-inspiring.

Non sequitur non carborundum.

Edited by Green to the Bone