Drove by there last night and it was priced at 2.79 then less than 24 hours, it was 2.99.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal Nice!

Up to 3.14 here in Little Rock now after being 2.94 24 hours ago.

What a joke and there is not even a hurricane or natural disaster.

It's all about supply and demand.

Gas demand is up from this same time last year, so apparently the gas prices are still cheap enough for Americans to tolerate.

But still...

can we now have a serious discussion about drilling ANWR and the Gulf? What's more important... being oil independent or saving a few caribou in a remote part of Alaska that nobody goes to?

Yes, there is a reason the oil companies are making record profits. <_<

And hurray for them! Profit is what capitalism is all about. It gives me a tingle down my spine every time my trade account sends me an email that a new dividend deposit has been posted to my account.

BTW, oil companies may have produced record profit, but they also posted record capital expenses. The record profit is driven by record consumer demand.

Wrigley's gum had a higher profit margin than Exxon-Mobil, and Starbucks makes a higher profit per gallon of coffee than oil companies do a gallon of gas.

Incidentally, Starbucks sets their prices... oil prices are determined by the commodities market.

It's all about supply and demand.

Gas demand is up from this same time last year, so apparently the gas prices are still cheap enough for Americans to tolerate.

But still...

can we now have a serious discussion about drilling ANWR and the Gulf? What's more important... being oil independent or saving a few caribou in a remote part of Alaska that nobody goes to?

Actually we have to tolerate the gas prices since Mass Transit is non-existent in 95% of the US. Gotta pay those taxes so the politicians can still have a job you know.

And hurray for them! Profit is what capitalism is all about. It gives me a tingle down my spine every time my trade account sends me an email that a new dividend deposit has been posted to my account.

BTW, oil companies may have produced record profit, but they also posted record capital expenses. The record profit is driven by record consumer demand.

Wrigley's gum had a higher profit margin than Exxon-Mobil, and Starbucks makes a higher profit per gallon of coffee than oil companies do a gallon of gas.

Incidentally, Starbucks sets their prices... oil prices are determined by the commodities market.

Another good, intelligent post from UNTflyer.

Wanna be oil independent? Move closer to your workplace. Walk rather than drive short distances. Trade in your F350 for a hybrid. Vote for those dreaded politicians who want to invest more in diverse technologies rather than rely on oil. We as people can do a lot more than further feeding our addiction to oil.

Edited by Coffee and TV

Up to 3.14 here in Little Rock now after being 2.94 24 hours ago.

What a joke and there is not even a hurricane or natural disaster.

3.25/gal here in NW Arkansas, and that is at the low end. I'm wondering how close to 4.00/gal we're gonna get this summer. :scared:

Vote for those dreaded politicians who want to invest more in diverse technologies rather than rely on oil.

Why? We already have the infrastructure for an oil-driven economy. Why should we spend trillions to switch to another fuel when the current one works just fine? What makes oil expensive is the government you seem to think will solve the problem. They restrict domestic production, tax consumption, and regulate transportation.

Government makes the largest profit off a gallon of gas, yet they do nothing to produce, refine, transport, or market it.

When the market demands reach the levels that will justify alternative fuels, it will happen.

It will happen only when the oil companies don't suppress the technology.

Riiight.

This is America. Nobody can supress a good idea. Offer a better product, and people will accept it.

The hard fact is... wind, solar, hydrogen fuel cell, ethanol, etc. Not one of them produces a better product than petroleum-based fuel.

Riiight.

This is America. Nobody can supress a good idea. Offer a better product, and people will accept it.

The hard fact is... wind, solar, hydrogen fuel cell, ethanol, etc. Not one of them produces a better product than petroleum-based fuel.

And which one is non-renewable and is one of the main pollutants being spewed into the air daily?

Part of the problem is people's inability to change their lifestyle to try and help promote these technologies. I'll bet a fraction of the people on this board use CFLs (compact fluorescent lights) in their homes.

Part of the problem is people's inability to change their lifestyle to try and help promote these technologies.

Yeah, why aren't Americans spending $10,000 on solar panels to save $10 a month? Geez, get with the program folks!

As I pointed out before, the free market is what wins out. Oil and coal and natural gas is cheap compared to other fuels.

Personally, I think we need to start building nuclear power plants again. But the environmental movement once again stands in the way of this nation being energy independent.

Good God, I'm going to hold up France as an example here... France has 56 working nuclear power plants. They import absolutely no electricity, the burn no fossil fuels to provide electricity, they have among the lowest electric bills and the cleanest air of the Western world. And to top it off, they have a perfect safety record.

it is nice to know that the refineries are making a $40 profit per barrel right now according to the news. Guess we have to keep paying 3.25+ to make sure the oil companies are lining their pockets even more considering Exxon's profits are 50% higher than last year. Somebody needs to put a foot up Congress' a$$ and get some control, maybe build some more refineries and move the animals some to start drilling for our own oil and let Chavez and cronies try to find other suckers to buy their oil.

Won't happen though. Thanks Green Peace Pansies <_<

Two things I heard recently that I think may help in the gas prices in the future (I am holding my breath...).

1. There are some of the refineries that are shutdown right now for maintenance. So the supply is (somewhat) lower. Just in time for Memorial Day (dumbasses...could have done this a LOT earlier). The refineries will be back up sometime soon after the yearly Memorial Day Gouging. (BTW...find this a little hard to believe)

2. With the mergers of the major companies (Exxon/Mobil, Texaco/Shell, et al) there are fewer choices when it comes to buying gas. The government is looking at forcing a breakup (much like AT&T in the 80s) of these companies to further competition. (I believe in this one slightly more then the one above about the "refinery maintenance)

Till the prices come down again, I guess I am going to buy less of other things to pay for the gas.

Why? We already have the infrastructure for an oil-driven economy. Why should we spend trillions to switch to another fuel when the current one works just fine? What makes oil expensive is the government you seem to think will solve the problem. They restrict domestic production, tax consumption, and regulate transportation.

Peak oil my friend, peak oil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil And whether or not you believe that man causes global warming, I'm sure you'd love to not have those ozone alert days in July & August.

Government makes the largest profit off a gallon of gas, yet they do nothing to produce, refine, transport, or market it.

When the market demands reach the levels that will justify alternative fuels, it will happen.

Gotta pay for those highways. And markets don't always fix problems. I know people love to think this and I don't blame them, but history simply tells us different.

Riiight.

Yes...and no. I think the idea that oil companies want to "supress" better technologies is a bit of a fallacy, but I understand the logic behind it. When NASA sent its global warming report & findings to the white house a couple of years ago they were edited by an undersecretary of energy. Not only did the edit, but they completely re-wrote the report as to pretty much can the idea that humans were a possible cause of global warming. I mean, an undersecretary of energy is arguing with NASA. NASA!? Now that may not mean much, but now this same former undersecretary is a lobbyist for Exxon Mobile. Hmmmm....makes you wonder. However it doesn't make sense to me why oil companies would supress the technologies because if they're smart they'll start investing in those alternatives to they can make their money elsewhere. I mean if Apple just stuck to making MAC's they'd be out of business by now.

Better product how? In terms of fuel for vehicles? Wind & Solar are excellent for home & industrial use, hell the new solar power technology is amazing. Hydrogen is extremely efficient once its inside the vehicle doing its work. But the problem is finding hydrogen in its pure form. In order to seperate the hydrogren from oxygen in water molecules it requires more energy input than output. Currently that's the case, but hopefully in the future that will change.

I'll bet a fraction of the people on this board use CFLs (compact fluorescent lights) in their homes.

I do. And all of my power comes from Green Mountain Energy.

Good God, I'm going to hold up France as an example here... France has 56 working nuclear power plants. They import absolutely no electricity, the burn no fossil fuels to provide electricity, they have among the lowest electric bills and the cleanest air of the Western world. And to top it off, they have a perfect safety record.

Yes. And of all places, those darned 'liberals' at 60 minutes did a piece of this a few weeks ago.