New Chant

Boomer23

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with doing a unison chant. What I don't understand is why people post chants on here. Lets let the cheerleaders or at least people actually involved in making those decisions decide on what we should do. There is nothing more defeating than hearing 3 people doing chants that no one else knows.

What you fail to remember is that the CHEERLEADERS you mentioned came to us about doing the chant mentioned above because the NORTH and TEXAS chant had a problem with it. That problem being that it didn't have a beginning and an end to it. Then this board, a source of many great resources that are directly responsible for keeping many of our remaining traditions alive at this university, voted on the final chant. Then this board, at the requests of the CHEERLEADERS paid for the signs that the CHEERLEADERS would hold up at the '04 New Orleans Bowl. We then directly delivered those signs to the CHEERLEADERS prior to game day down in New Orleans. The board also paid for informational handouts to be printed to educate the masses that would enter through the doors of the Super Dome, then members of this board stood at the doors and handed out 5,000 of these pamphlets only to have the CHEERLEADERS decided at game time not to do it thus killing all the effort made by this board to correct a problem.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

A buddy and I always loved to sing this old English soccer song whenever a crap call went against the Mean Green

(to the tune of "Oh my darlin', Clementine")

Who's your father?

Who's your father?

Who's your father, referee?

Never had one.

Couldn't be one.

You're a bastard, referee

;)

I still get a kick out of it, and I would just once love to hear 20,000 Mean green fans singing this one in unison...

Two of my favorites from the Baseline Bums, the original die-hard cheering section of the San Antonio Spurs:

Rooty-toot-toot

Rooty-toot-toot

Who's that ass in the referee suit???

AND...

M-I-C-K-E-Y

O-U-S-O-B

Those are the cleanest of the funnier ones...

Listen, I'm not trying to pick fights with everyone on this board but I do think some need to realize just what this board is. It's a place to get and give opinions, share pictures and links, talk unt football... etc. To think that this board, just because it connects some passionate fans, is anything more would be silly.

Listen, I'm not trying to pick fights with everyone on this board but I do think some need to realize just what this board is. It's a place to get and give opinions, share pictures and links, talk unt football... etc. To think that this board, just because it connects some passionate fans, is anything more would be silly.

This board is more powerful than Chuck Norris.

Top Ten Things You May Not Know About Chuck Norris

10) Chuck Norris' calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools Chuck Norris.

9) Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

8) Chuck Norris can speak braille.

7) Chuck Norris can do a wheelie on a unicycle.

6) Chuck Norris was originally cast as the main character in 24, but was replaced by the producers when he managed to kill every terrorist and save the day in 12 minutes and 37 seconds.

5) Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas.

4) Chuck Norris can slam revolving doors.

3) Giraffes were created when Chuck Norris uppercutted a horse.

2) Chuck Norris can strangle you with a cordless phone,

and the number one thing you may not know about Chuck Norris:

1) Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

The board also paid for informational handouts to be printed to educate the masses that would enter through the doors of the Super Dome, then members of this board stood at the doors and handed out 5,000 of these pamphlets only to have the CHEERLEADERS decided at game time not to do it thus killing all the effort made by this board to correct a problem.

Rick

Maybe they were stupid chants. I understand what Eppy is saying. The North Texas thing goes on and on until people look around and go...ok thats enough. There is no structure.

NOW, we need chants that people are passionate about and that are COOL. I'm sorry but U!N!T! Eagles fight fight fight isnt that cool. Think of the other schools that have cool chants...Florida State, when I hear their chant in unison it gives me goose bumps. What about Auburn, during the kickoff the whole stadium waves their towels and yells WARRRRR Eagle! Hey!...Floridas, gator chomp. Then we have UNT fight fight fight with about 100 ppl doing it. If we could find something that the more than 30 (and older alumni) on this board like to do then maybe the 15K students that go to the games will actually do it. So instead of us/yall coming up with something why dont we ask the students to come up with a chant and enter it into a contest and the whole student body vote for the best one, then we adopt that during our orientations?

I remember my freshmen orientation and they started doing the chants and the eagle claw and I was like you gotta be kidding me, this is the dorkiest thing in the world, no one is going to get on board with this...and they didn't and still haven't.

Top Ten Things You May Not Know About Chuck Norris

10) Chuck Norris' calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools Chuck Norris.

9) Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

8) Chuck Norris can speak braille.

7) Chuck Norris can do a wheelie on a unicycle.

6) Chuck Norris was originally cast as the main character in 24, but was replaced by the producers when he managed to kill every terrorist and save the day in 12 minutes and 37 seconds.

5) Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas.

4) Chuck Norris can slam revolving doors.

3) Giraffes were created when Chuck Norris uppercutted a horse.

2) Chuck Norris can strangle you with a cordless phone,

and the number one thing you may not know about Chuck Norris:

1) Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Chuck Norris is Todd Dodge?! :o

Daddy Dumpsalot said exactly what I've been trying to get across. It's not that I'm against the chants. I can't wait for our student body to cheer on our team in unison. I just think the people on this board shouldn't try and make those decisions and then implement them yourselves. Do something that will get the normal UNT student involved in the team and the chant, so it isn't 30 people mumbling different yells.

Maybe they were stupid chants. I understand what Eppy is saying. The North Texas thing goes on and on until people look around and go...ok thats enough. There is no structure.

NOW, we need chants that people are passionate about and that are COOL. I'm sorry but U!N!T! Eagles fight fight fight isnt that cool. Think of the other schools that have cool chants...Florida State, when I hear their chant in unison it gives me goose bumps. What about Auburn, during the kickoff the whole stadium waves their towels and yells WARRRRR Eagle! Hey!...Floridas, gator chomp. Then we have UNT fight fight fight with about 100 ppl doing it. If we could find something that the more than 30 (and older alumni) on this board like to do then maybe the 15K students that go to the games will actually do it. So instead of us/yall coming up with something why dont we ask the students to come up with a chant and enter it into a contest and the whole student body vote for the best one, then we adopt that during our orientations?

I remember my freshmen orientation and they started doing the chants and the eagle claw and I was like you gotta be kidding me, this is the dorkiest thing in the world, no one is going to get on board with this...and they didn't and still haven't.

Ok, to me, that arguement doesnt hold water. It's only a subjective opinion. To be honest, I LOVE UNT Eagles, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT because it's tied into the end of OUR fight song that was written close to 70 years ago. It's tradition, ties us back to EAGLES. I never bitch about "mean green" but I still have a great deal of respect for tradition of the university and the fight song (and THAT chant at the end) are a huge part of it. Nobody on this board should (or better not) argue that tradition should ever be cast aside. If you have any other example of a UNT tradtion thats roughly the same age as this, I'm willing to listen. I hear this crap and it's falling in lines with the same people that wish we didnt have a bird associated with the school at all. I'd say that if they're trying to teach the incoming freshman this chant, they're just trying to keep things consistant. Ive said before if you introduce a multitude of ideas, you'll only confuse people.

Still think it's dorky? Ol' Miss' Univerisity's cheer, (that everyone does, yes, including those really COOL freshmen)and I quote:

Hidey Tidey Gosh O'mighty Who the Hell are we?

Flim Flam Bim Bam Ol' Miss by Damn.

Still feel like a dork?

Tell the Freshmen to put their beers down and learn the damn cheer... A lil tradition and humility wouldnt kill em...

Tom

Edited by trud1966

This board has brought more people together to coordinate for events directed at supporting this university than any other non university sanctioned entity I know of. I don't think this fact is silly at all. I know for sure the Andrew Smith family doesn't think that way either.

See you saturday.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Still think it's dorky? Ol' Miss' Univerisity's cheer, (that everyone does, yes, including those really COOL freshmen)and I quote:

Still feel like a dork?

Tell the Freshmen to put their beers down and learn the damn cheer... A lil tradition and humility wouldnt kill em...

Tom

Yep. Imagine how 'uncool' this is:

"Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck

Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck

All hail to dear old Texas A&M...

...Chigaroogarem

Chigaroogarem

Rough, Tough, real stuff Texas A&M"

aTm or not--that's a classic. Only way it gets to be classic--and tradition--is picking it up and running with it. Not bitching about how 'dorky' it is. ;)

The whole point is not what the chant is, it's how we come up with them. I do like the "NORTH TEXAS" chant, but I feel stupid doing it when I know we just copied "TEXAS FIGHT." I feel stupid throwing Tortillas and telling my friends at Tech that we do that when we just copied them (and I know the stupid story why we say we stole it).

Yep. Imagine how 'uncool' this is:

"Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck

Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck

All hail to dear old Texas A&M...

...Chigaroogarem

Chigaroogarem

Rough, Tough, real stuff Texas A&M"

aTm or not--that's a classic. Only way it gets to be classic--and tradition--is picking it up and running with it. Not bitching about how 'dorky' it is. ;)

Well said brother...aTm is a prime example, as much as they get on my nerves, at least I can respect the fact that they stand behind tradition.

Edited by trud1966

Does anyone have a clue how the first down chant that is done over the loud speaker really got started? I do. :ph34r:

You mean the stupid one that says "and thats good for another mean green first down" followed by the rediculous eagle cry?? Is that the one. Are we that bad that we have to celebrate and create a chant when we get a first down??? I hope this is the first thing to go in the new season.

Talons should know this one.

Boom a lacka Boom a lacka

Bow wow wow

Ching a lacka Ching a lacka

Chow chow chow

Boom a lack Ching a lacka

Who are we?

We are the students of UNT

It's a riff on an old school cheer from the 20's. Chris Latham found it in an old Yucca I believe in the late 90's.

Nobody on this board should (or better not) argue that tradition should ever be cast aside. If you have any other example of a UNT tradtion thats roughly the same age as this, I'm willing to listen.

Still feel like a dork?

Tom

A tradition is only good if people keep it. And by the looks of it it's not working too well so maybe it's time to start another tradition. And I think the Ole' Miss cheer is cool and I guarantee that if we had something like that here the students would get involved (even if it is cause it has 2 curse words in it). And whether the chants at other schools are 'dorky' or not, you gotta admit everyone does it and it prob. isnt dorky to them. Why find the worst example to prove your point and then compare it to UNT. I didn't hear anyone comparing us to the 'Gator chomp' or anything else.

Yes...I still feel like a dork