Unt Vs Navy T-shirts

NT1978

STEP UP and do something better! Go for it...I'll buy your T-Shirt too if the Exes sell it. I am sure the Exes would love you to volunteer and get involved. Someone did and the PC police get all over it! I am all for the PC Police crowd doing something positive instead of complaining about what other folks are doing. It sure would be crowded at Denton Exes chapter meetings if the local PC Police crowd would show up and get involved. But, tghen it is always easier to criticize others than do anything yourself, right? Just thinking out loud.

Enough of this already...let's get fired up for some great DodgeBall...and let's fill the stadium for Game 1 of the DodgeBall era. All are welcome at Fouts Field. I'll see you there....

Edited by emmitt01

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the liberal PC police are out for this one, I think its the conservitive PC Police this time but it is interesting what offends people. If this many folks are affended then they sould consider a new design like an NT football player with a putter in his hand and a golf ball hanging on the lip of the cup with the "sink navy" deal.

Me and Don Hendley like the Dixie Chicks and North Texas.

Well I'll toss in my .02 here. I am ETSN GRESHAM stationed on the USS NEBRASKA BLUE CREW. I've been a long time supporter of UNT and will side with UNT at the game if I'm not out to sea. I was going to go into a long spill but i wont. my issue isnt with the words its with the families that go to the game. i wouldn't want my mom to see it who is planning to go to that game. but its not up to me. good luck

GO MEAN GREEN

BEAT NAVY

We have had this controversy before.......

But I don't seem to remember the SPCA getting all up in arms over the Oregon State vs. North Texas shirts that were extremely cruel but very popluar. The seemed to be trying to instigate students to "Shave" the OSU's poor mascot the Beaver......... Being a young impressionable student at the time I for one tried to do just that....and let me tell you I couldn't stop at just one.........To this day I can't look at one without thinking about it..........

Remember we don't want shirts like "Sink Navy" to drive behavior.

Edited by Evan

Score another for the PC police...I think it's great that the Denton Exes are doing something fun and supportive of the school and athletics. Sure hope all you PC folks who were "offended" by the original T-Shirt buy several of the new and PC-Correct versions...Sure hope no one gets their feelings hurt this time...sure wouldn't want that...by the way...you PC folks...buy season tickets and support the team! Buy the "new" and "improved T-shirt too. Hope to see you at the game! GO MEAN GREEN...GO DENTON EXES for getting going and helping "sell-out" Fouts Field for the Navy game! You guys deserve a real "thank you" for getting it going....see you at the game! Gotta run buy my new and improved "Sink Navy" T-Shirt. I will wear it to the game PROUDLY!

:blowup:

This message board was (somewhat) but very rudely ridiculed by a very elitist-acting member of Lee Jackson's "chosen few" which comprised his UNT Branding Committee a couple or so years ago. :o REMEMBER? A UNT Branding Commitee that so poorly planned their pubicly announced results of their committee's production that they didn't even get their branding ideas out in time on the very campus they came up with their ideas because UNT Athletics and the UNT College of Music did not in a timely manner get the official UNT branding news so that they could plan ahead as to incorporate the new logos and kelly green with their respective ordering of their new unis' that would show to all UNT's new brandings in what is (arguably) our school's best and most effective way to get things as important as a university's new brandings out to the masses, with that for UNT mostly being the DFW Metroplex (all 6 million of us)!

YET................with that most public & visible way to get the message out on college football Game Day weekends in Denton coupled with all the numererous Mean Green football games that would be televised back to the DFW Metroplex during that announced UNT Branding period of time; nevertheless, a golden opportunity was missed by our alma mater by lack of planning. So a potential UNT Branding buying market would have to wait a whole year before they could see UNT's new brandings on our football unis'; well, how much of that new UNT branding impact did UNT lose by having to wait a whole year before the MG football team could show our new brandings to the masses? :( Failing to plan & then plan to fail" going on with all that poor timing scenario from a UNT Branding Committe of which one of its members didn't think they really had to answer to anyone with UNT ties? :rolleyes:

YET.....................that very same UNT Branding Committe member's pot shot or dissing toward one of our own came in the form of an erroneously sent email that reached Super Fan/NT Ex FireFightin'Rick's home computer with a message saying (and I do liberally paraphrase that Branding Committe member that said: "We" (as the committee member was speaking on behalf of what became a most elite acting branding committee) don't have to answer to any of "THAT GROUP", ie, NT Exes or those who post on GMG.com with their opinions as well as personal whims (although we had to accept the personal whims of a UNT Branding Committee with such committees many of us have witnessed from UNT's past not really knowing what was going on beyond our main campus's borders. And with too many UNT main campus-sprung ideas that (in the past) really never captured a large segment of all our UNT community's imagination.............

DO WE MARKET TO THE CREATIVE FEW OR RATHER TO THE MASSES AT UNT?

.....................of course, another question one may have asked concerning all this........................If that Lee Jackson-chosen UNT Branding Committee didn't have to answer to our massive alumnus group with each & every one of of us in past decades and recently year-to-year having sincere concerns for our school's marketing image as compared to all our other Texas university collegues that "UNT civiians" had to encounter every day and what some of you have called the "real world out here." Yet who was it that would be LJ's Branding Committee's potential buying market that would purchase their graphic artist ideas in record-numbers? Do they ever see the Big Picture when they come up with their cute-sy little ideas. History woud say they don't. Yet could that market have have been Lee Jackson, a few of LJ's BOR's, Lee Jackson's family and friends, Lee Jackson's Branding Committee members, Lee Jackson's Branding Committee's immediate family members and all their relatives) so forth and so on? :blink::)

Fact is and...........IMHO, UNT does not and has not had any noticeable success records in the past of being a marketing dynamo in this my 5'th decade of being an NT alum and what more proof do we all need than the following: In 4 recent football seasons that produced bowl games, with all the "marketing"? :rolleyes: many most astutely observed during those 4 bowl years, we still only averaged 15,000 per home game (give or take) at venerable Fouts Field. :huh:

So with our UNT's marketing guru's past records of having a most "un-Midas" touch when it comes to getting their marketing messages across to the UNT masses with clever little graphic artist renderings or ideas this question might need to be asked once more: Do we market to the few or do we market to our masses?

Moral: Why not get a wide cross-section of MG fans and NT alums who have seen the good, the bad and the ugly with this school and simply ask that group what they think before they mass produce any T-shirt that only an elite few may end up purchasing? Wouldn't such an idea as that make sense and even cent$ at UNT?

ON A PERSONAL NOTE: Out of respect to my late parents feelings they had toward a Navy sailor and close friend of theirs back in the day; nevertheless, their friend met his untimely death in one of those sunken ships bombed by the Japs (whoops--not PC) at Pearl Harbor, circa December 7, 1941. Yes, I know, a long time ago, but still a memory of my late parents that I chose to honor here in 2007.

So are we over-reacting with all this? We probably are, but the fact that we are re-acting with all this at all and that (seemedly) split down the middle might be a subtle hint that the NT Exes group (who I'm sure are a most talented group) might want to consider all the things said on this GMG.com thread and consider a different graphic on that T-shirt and............one that might sell to the ma$$e$ rather than a split group? At UNT, we don't need to insult anyone who would be insulted by the graphic of an American ship being sunk no matter how its spun on a T-shirt. Just my .02 on this subject (or maybe "just my $2" since this post is just a tad lengthy? :rolleyes:

THINK BIG--BUILD BIGGER!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We have had this controversy before.......

But I don't seem to remember the SPCA getting all up in arms over the Oregon State vs. North Texas shirts that were extremely cruel but very popluar. The seemed to be trying to instigate students to "Shave" the OSU's poor mascot the Beaver......... Being a young impressionable student at the time I for one tried to do just that....and let me tell you I couldn't stop at just one.........To this day I can't look at one without thinking about it..........

Remember we don't want shirts like "Sink Navy" to drive behavior.

I like the line of "save a tree, eat a beaver" line personally ... and "save a horse, ride a cowboy" ... I can you on and on ...

BTW, this thread needs to be locked. Pls?

Well if you're okay with a sinking destroyer, why don't you just make a t-shirt with a picture of the USS Cole with a smoking hole in its side? Do you think that would be funny?

Once again, it's not being PC. I'm fine with a t-shirt that says SINK NAVY (as a simple play on words) but not the image of a sinking warship, especially in a time when American warships are very much in harm's way. It is not politically incorrect, it's just bad taste with the potential to generate bad publicity - and North Texas needs neither.

--I would not have a problem with it if we were not in a war situation but we are. Surely someone can come up with a better idea.... It is obvious from all the posts that some people would be offended.... and we are even talking about NT supporters, not Navy fans. Suggestion --take a cheap shot at their mascot, the Goat... such as "Bar-B-Que the Navy's Goat" ... the Navy in general will not be offended by that. I am sure someone can do better than what is proposed or even my idea. There is no sense in irritating people, especially our own fans. PC is not really an issue to me on this, good taste is.....

---For what it is worth, Iraq had nothing to do with the USS Cole... but Al Qaeda did, just as they were responsible for the Twins Towers, and the Towers had no Iraq connection either (Bush even admits that).

---If those in charge refuse to change it at least say Midshipman or Middies--- not Navy,.... that is school related.....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

A UNT Branding Commitee that so poorly planned their pubicly announced results of their committee's production that they didn't even get their branding ideas out in time on the very campus they came up with their ideas because UNT Athletics and the UNT College of Music did not in a timely manner get the official UNT branding news so that they could plan ahead as to incorporate the new logos and kelly green with their respective ordering of their new unis' that would show to all UNT's new brandings in what is (arguably) our school's best and most effective way to get things as important as a university's new brandings out to the masses, with that for UNT mostly being the DFW Metroplex (all 6 million of us)!

THINK BIG--BUILD BIGGER!

I think there should have been a period in here somewhere. maybe three.

Sir, I have a entire website of "something better" that I have spent countless hours creating, have posted on the web, and have distributed free to the Mean Green Nation. Don't get sanctimonious with me. I have made - and continue to make - my contribution, and do not appreciate name calling or suggestons of some lame political agenda.

The idea that if someone disagrees then they are being PC is insulting, as is your wrapping yourself in the flag of freedom of speech and therefore being immune to criticism. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't forgive bad taste or bad designs. The Exes want to put out a design and try to sell it? Fine. Then get ready to have that design judged. I have offered up my designs for public consumption and that makes them fair game for criticism. Now its the Exes turn.

And some of us, quite a number of us, don't like that design. Not PC. Just bad.

Smitty is my new leader.

I think there should have been a period in here somewhere. maybe three.

First of all, good post, Smitty, in JD's above post. We have to remember that this is still an opinion board (of which there are probably a few who disagree with other's opinions from time to time)? For example, only recently some of us actually thought the betterment of MG football would need a new HFC; and then others....................well...................they wanted to continue business as usual, not to rock the Denton retirement futures of some of our staff up there and just keep on doing what has this program where it has annually been land-locked in context to the other 119 NCAA D1-A member schools and all this for many of our NT Exes adult lifetimes. Probably still need to see more personnel changes truth be known if we are going to complement (successfully) a Todd Dodge-led football resurrection of MG football back to where it can actually be a ranked football program once again and none of this.......................disguised success at the bottom rung of the ladder of NCAA D1-A football.

Was hoping the Guinness Book of World Records folks were reading some of those long sentences because I'm sure we all know they would be regular readers of this board, right? :rolleyes:

As most always it was way too long but my message was: Maybe UNT officials should test the waters a bit more before they jump into another "possible" expensive project that they want the most of our NT alums to buy into? And I probably should have not brought up the whole UNT Branding "under their radar" fiasco in the first place except for the fact that we seem to have too many experts on our main campus who really never seem to do their extensive homework (among those who have actually bought UNT gear in large numbers thru the years and decades) as for them to find out what the majority of NT Exes who purchase NT gear actully really think would be marketable as to represent our school "brandings-wise"; and with the brandings that too many times they seem to be taking a pretty big gamble (and too many times most expensive gambling on their parts). :blink: (Another long sentence probably needing, uh, punctation throughout just as well, too, UNTflyer). B)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---For what it is worth, Iraq had nothing to do with the USS Cole... but Al Qaeda did, just as they were responsible for the Twins Towers, and the Towers had no Iraq connection either (Bush even admits that).

There's a difference in Terrorism and Al Qaeda. Iraq had nothing to do with Cole or the Twin Towers. Iraq DID have plenty to do with Terrorism......so does Iran.

I don't care that they have a sinking ship on the shirt, I just think the design looks a little "off". Maybe they should pick a different kind of ship.....like an old frigate or galley (sail boat).

Edited by Mad Hatter

I'm not buying a shirt because I think they're dorky. We should have had a GIANT eagle attacking a Battleship, now that I would buy.

I agree with Dump. I would love an eagle with a ship in it's talons or something like that. But two ugly fonts and a stupid design... I'll wear my Jamario shirt.

Whoever had Post 86 in the "When will ScreamingEagle66 make the thread about the Iraq war", you have won the pool!

Also, a new board record has been set in this thread. KRAM1 has blown away the old record of single term used in one thread formerly held by PMG's use of old nestors, with his awesome display of repeating the term PC, even once using the term "PC-Correct" even though the C in PC stands for correct anyway...well done and congratulations!

Thanks for all the input. There were some issues with the sinking battleship so we considered removing it. There were also issues with the connotation of sinking a Navy ship so we considered removing the sink and replace with beat. Then the issue of the art work not being any good was brought up so we considered removing it also. Then there was the issue of the concept that we were making the Navy game more important than any other game so we considered removing any reference to the game. And, lastly, there was an issue with the color of green that was used so we went with the secondary color. We have revised the T-shirt and the below T-shirt will be available throughout the year.

prod_20572_thumb.jpg

Whoever had Post 86 in the "When will ScreamingEagle66 make the thread about the Iraq war", you have won the pool!

Also, a new board record has been set in this thread. KRAM1 has blown away the old record of single term used in one thread formerly held by PMG's use of old nestors, with his awesome display of repeating the term PC, even once using the term "PC-Correct" even though the C in PC stands for correct anyway...well done and congratulations!

Hilarious.

They seemed to be trying to instigate students to "Shave" the OSU's poor mascot the Beaver......... Being a young impressionable student at the time I for one tried to do just that....and let me tell you I couldn't stop at just one.........To this day I can't look at one without thinking about it..........

So what you are saying is, once you had one shaved beaver, you felt they should all be shaved?

Let me tell you man, you are not alone.