Drc Blog..jones To Have New Contract

OldTimer

March 29, 2007

Jones agent says talks are underway

John Hamilton, the agent for North Texas head men's basketball coach Johnny Jones, said Thursday that he hopes to have a new contract finalized in the next couple of weeks.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal is already on record as saying the school will rework Jones' deal that is set to expire after the end of next season. Jones led the Mean Green to the NCAA Tournament this season and should be in for a big payday from UNT, or at least the opportunity for one.

Jones could well end up signing an incentive-laden deal that would boost his base salary from last season of $205,811, a total that included incentives for a radio show and maintaining membership in the Sun Belt Conference.

While Jones is likely to get a nice boost to his base salary, the real opportunity for additional money could be in new incentives. Jones received just $10,000 for taking his team to the NCAA Tournament. Needless to say, UNT got a bargain on that deal when it came to publicity.

Expect Jones' new deal to have much higher incentives along the lines of the deal South Alabama head coach John Pelphrey signed after taking his team to the NCAA Tournament last year. Pelphrey is also making about $200,000 a year, but has incentives in his contract that can tack on another $100,000.

Hamilton is a longtime friend of Jones, who is just the latest UNT coach to retain an agent. Former Mean Green football coach Darrell Dickey also had an agent late in his tenure at UNT.

For more on Jones, his contract and his new agent, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

Posted by Brett Vito at 11:05 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

If the contract is incentive based that’s fine, but also include performance levels (W’s) to maintain his position.

??????

You referenced the same thing twice, I think. What is a "performance level to maintain position"? Incentives are performance-based. Unless you win, you won't reach the incentives.

??????

You referenced the same thing twice, I think. What is a "performance level to maintain position"? Incentives are performance-based. Unless you win, you won't reach the incentives.

No, some incentives can be based on other factors. He already has a bonus tied to staying a SBC member in good standing and a media (radio show) bonus. Others could include incentives tied to graduation rates or GPAs for players, season ticket sales and/or total game attendance, etc.

No, some incentives can be based on other factors. He already has a bonus tied to staying a SBC member in good standing and a media (radio show) bonus. Others could include incentives tied to graduation rates or GPAs for players, season ticket sales and/or total game attendance, etc.

I agree that there should be some incentives tied specifically to winning but the season ticket sales and game attendance incentives won't come without the wins so he could be killing two birds with one stone.

The SBC and media bonuses are pre-negotiated items built into the contrct. I don't even know why UNT coaches have that first one; they have no control over the school's conference affiliation. The radio stuff is based on a number of appearances, etc., that are predetermined whether UNT makes the postseason or gains extra media exposure or not.

So they're not really incentives; more like perks. Incentives are something you have to meet based on results-oriented criteria. Accept your wrongness.

The SBC and media bonuses are pre-negotiated items built into the contrct. I don't even know why UNT coaches have that first one; they have no control over the school's conference affiliation. The radio stuff is based on a number of appearances, etc., that are predetermined whether UNT makes the postseason or gains extra media exposure or not.

So they're not really incentives; more like perks. Incentives are something you have to meet based on results-oriented criteria. Accept your wrongness.

He is not really wrong. The initial post that you questioned indicated that there needs to be a certain number of wins for him to maintain his position. The incentives (we agree) give him the opportunity to make more money by performing at certain levels. However, the base is almost always guaranteed. So if he stops performing he still gets the base even if he is fired. Back to the point that is in question... How many wins to maintain his position. The answer is zero (unfortunately).

I hope that people who are better at identifying coaching talent then I am are doing the right thing.

He is not really wrong. The initial post that you questioned indicated that there needs to be a certain number of wins for him to maintain his position. The incentives (we agree) give him the opportunity to make more money by performing at certain levels. However, the base is almost always guaranteed. So if he stops performing he still gets the base even if he is fired. Back to the point that is in question... How many wins to maintain his position. The answer is zero (unfortunately).

I hope that people who are better at identifying coaching talent then I am are doing the right thing.

Fine, we do agree on what an incentive is. But that second guy still said SBC membership and radio are incentives, and they aren't, so stop insisting they are. They are built in to the contract whether UNT wins or not. I understand coaches contracts, and those two things fall under "guaranteed outside income" that is settled up at the end of the season or school year in addition to the regular base paycheck.

I do, however, now understand what the initial post was saying the contract needs, and you can forget it. No one has "must win X number of games to keep your job" written into a contract. Either you don't win enough to keep your job, or you win just enough to save your job for a short time, or you win enough to get an extension. No specific number of victories determines job status, which makes my initial questioning of that first post (a bad one at that) valid.

But I'm sure someone out there will again insist I know nothing and they know everything. I give.

Edited by flyeater

Fine, we do agree on what an incentive is. But that second guy still said SBC membership and radio are incentives, and they aren't, so stop insisting they are. They are built in to the contract whether UNT wins or not. I understand coaches contracts, and those two things fall under "guaranteed outside income" that is settled up at the end of the season or school year in addition to the regular base paycheck.

I do, however, now understand what the initial post was saying the contract needs, and you can forget it. No one has "must win X number of games to keep your job" written into a contract. Either you either don't win enough to keep your job, or you win just enough to save your job for a short time, or you win enough to get an extension. No specific number of victories determines job status, which makes my initial questioning of that first post (a bad one at that) valid.

But I'm sure someone out there will again insist I know nothing and they know everything. I give.

I hear you. We are in fact out to get you .. :) j/k

Seriously though, I think the point is that many on the board were calling for JJ's head. I am one who still has reservations about JJ. I HOPE that he is coming into his own. He does appear to have the right stuff. But he still needs to prove that he can win on a regular basis. We all know that you dont put win loss records in contracts. But we have to be carefull about giving a big base in case it needs to be bought out. Which is why I am in favor of tearing up the old contract and giving a new 3 year contract. Because I think that JJ did buy an extra year or two by his performance this year. And thus a "new" 3 year contract will only require a 1 year buyout should he get fired after 2years without post season play.

I hear you. We are in fact out to get you .. :) j/k

Seriously though, I think the point is that many on the board were calling for JJ's head. I am one who still has reservations about JJ. I HOPE that he is coming into his own. He does appear to have the right stuff. But he still needs to prove that he can win on a regular basis. We all know that you dont put win loss records in contracts. But we have to be carefull about giving a big base in case it needs to be bought out. Which is why I am in favor of tearing up the old contract and giving a new 3 year contract. Because I think that JJ did buy an extra year or two by his performance this year. And thus a "new" 3 year contract will only require a 1 year buyout should he get fired after 2years without post season play.

Agreed, but none of that had anything to do with my original point. I never said what he should or shouldn't receive. Someone else did that; I only pointed out that it wasn't feasible.

But while we're on the subject, you understand that market forces drive these things. He's entering year 7 at the same school (that apparently isn't in the market for a new coach) and he's just made the NCAAs. He's due a raise in base pay whether anyone agrees or not. Let's face it, the guy did have a pretty lousy incentive package whether you like him as a coach or not. Attendance? Season tickets? C'mon, who could ever meet those bonuses at a place like UNT where student apathy is rampant?

Trust me, I have my reservations about JJ, too. And yes, there was a third shooter. :unsure:

Edited by flyeater

Why would there be an incentive for this?

It should have been non-probation memberships. I think most contracts have a similar phrase for their conference and NCAA membership, meaning to keep the program off probation for any reason, an incentive to follow the rules.

Edited by NT80

Most colleges try to keep some semblance of a salary structure by not having coaches make more in base salary than their superiors. Therefore, there are all kind of items that are labeled incentives that are little more than salary add-ons. (radio and tv fees, conference membership, etc.) There are another class of true incentives such as for conference championships, post-season games, graduation rates, attendance goals, etc. that are more traditional bonus items.