Dickey Sees Many Positives At Usu

HJ: What is your offensive philosophy?

Dickey: Balanced. When we got over the hump at North Texas, we played pretty good on defense...we could run the ball, but we weren’t very good throwing the ball, and we lost some close games.

---------------------------

How was he balanced here???

I think it was pretty lopsided towards the running game.

HJ: What is your offensive philosophy?

Dickey: Balanced. When we got over the hump at North Texas, we played pretty good on defense...we could run the ball, but we weren’t very good throwing the ball, and we lost some close games.

---------------------------

How was he balanced here???

I think it was pretty lopsided towards the running game.

I know the stereotype of Dickey's offense is run run run , but when we were successful, Hall and Smith were throwing for some decent yards. From the interview I would gather that his approach is to pre-determine going into each game how many trick (Dickey lingo for "pass" plays? lol) plays he would run. Most of the passing production came on play-actions that were set up with our ever-present ground game.

While it certainly is an effective part of the game when set-up properly, I think we all would have liked to have seen Dickey take some ideas from a more pass-oriented system. Seems that most wideouts in his system will run only 3-4 different types of routes. Maybe someone with more insight into his schemes would correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by greenminer

"Two weeks later I got fired, so I had to make that adjustment also. They tried to kill me, when that didn’t work, they just decided to go ahead and fire me." -Cheap Shot

As much as I care for Darrell, and I still think the world of him... that was a needless chop at us. I'm glad he gets a shot to keep coaching, and in a job where there is not so much pressure to produce immediately. He will get the Agg's back on the winning track, but I dont know about a title. There is a lot to do for those guys to get to the top, and it starts with recruiting. I dont know who he will go after, but if the stealth recruiting thing starts again?, he could be in for a very long season.

Good luck Coach Dickey. We appreciate what you did for us.

Oh by the way, on 3rd and 22... PASS the ball, or the Aggie fans will be the next ones trying to kill you.

GMG!!!

Maybe DD is taking a cheap shot but lets see it from his perspective...dont you think he has every right to be upset at what happened and how it played out? I mean its not that we went to some big bowls or won a bcs bowl but he did certaintly put NT football on the map again. When you're going through a lot of crap the last thing you want/expect to get fired from your job during the seaon. Tho I am not necessarily defending DD but I think I can see it from his perspective that he is a little bitter and maybe he wont get over it....atleast it will take a while before he does. At this point let DD say whatever he can and wants too....All we need to worry about is NT athletics and see if TD was the right hire or not and if it will amount to W's on the field in the coming couple of years.

I think it's time to let him go wallow in his self pity elsewhere. We've got a new coach, and are looking at and doing things he never even thought possible.

To Green Mean: No, I can't see it from that perspective. He was paid (nicely) to do a job, and he was failing at that job. Since then we've learned that he really wasn't even doing half of the job. It sucks that stuff happens like that in life, but UNT isn't there to play mommy.

If he'd at least been doing his job, and you could tell he was giving everything into it, and he loved the players, and the school, and the city...that'd be one thing. He shat on everything while he was winning and we put up with it. He stopped winning, and people weren't so willing to forgive anymore. Karma is a bitch.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Green Mean....I might could relate to what Darrell's going through, if the next time I get fired from a job, my employer gives me $500,000.

But, until then....

SUMG...i totally understand what you are saying but we are just average spares. This is a totally different business and the rules are different. Yeah I should be saying he's an arse cuz he still got a lot of money to leave but in the end they are humans just like us too. There are emotions, feelings, loyalties and etc and all i'm saying is that even tho he did not produce on the field I can atleast understand IF he is still kinda bitter about the whole thing. All these people in this business make good money and theres no denying that...but I think humanity and feelings still exist whether we all wanna accept it or not.

I think it's time to let him go wallow in his self pity elsewhere. We've got a new coach, and are looking at and doing things he never even thought possible.

To Green Mean: No, I can't see it from that perspective. He was paid (nicely) to do a job, and he was failing at that job. Since then we've learned that he really wasn't even doing half of the job. It sucks that stuff happens like that in life, but UNT isn't there to play mommy.

If he'd at least been doing his job, and you could tell he was giving everything into it, and he loved the players, and the school, and the city...that'd be one thing. He shat on everything while he was winning and we put up with it. He stopped winning, and people weren't so willing to forgive anymore. Karma is a bitch.

I can't see where he is coming from because getting fired is part of the job and every coach knows that going in.....especially when you have 2 seasons where you are at the bottom of the conference in one of the worst conferences in America

I can't see where he is coming from because getting fired is part of the job and every coach knows that going in.....especially when you have 2 seasons where you are at the bottom of the conference in one of the worst conferences in America

That plus the black jersey incident, constant fan slamming, complain about his "situation", and the PROOF from the DISD that UNT recruiters had not been on their campuses in YEARS!

If any of us blew off our job like that, we'd get canned faster than we could pack up our stuff. If George W was to suddenly have a heart attack, do you think the anti-war public would just say it is ok because of his health? It just so happens that UNT was bad in '05 too before his health got bad. The man has no excuse, oh wait, I forgot, he has himself.

PROOF from the DISD that UNT recruiters had not been on their campuses in YEARS!

Can't blame DD for that. Who would of ever known that the little known DISD , that is so far away from our campus would have so much talent ?? :blink: TD must have been tipped off by someone :blink:

Anyone remember when a few of us were getting crucified for saying all the things about DD Ball that many of you are now saying? I do. :) But I'm glad there are no more secrets about what many figured out long before I did, quite frankly.

A Short List:

(1) There was never a short list of candidates when DD got our HFC's job; but wait a minute, my bad.........there really was a short list but there was only "1" on that list. Rick V at least listened to the masses and what some of our hopes and wishes were (even though he probably got tired of hearing the "crony hire" theory more than just a few times from many on this board).

(2) Darrell L. Dickey better count his lucky stars that his dad is very well respected among many in NCAA D1-A. Said it before, but would a "Darrell L. Snodgrass" been hired by Craig Helwig? Would a Darrell L. Snodgrass with a 42W/62L career record in 9 freakin' years at our alma mater been immediately hired as the offenivie coordinator at Utah State when his offenses at UNT were never/ever even ranked in the Top 50? (You who are still DD lovers and supporters, get over it, most of us did with him and DD Ball a long time ago after listening to too many of his "non-stop" woe is me, UNT sucks and NT Exes suck worse radio comments that I guess didn't (amazingly) affect some of you at all. NOTE: Some of you even heard him call us futher muckers at a team meeting if memory serves me well from you who told me that via phone). YET it was the now infamous "pass the ball" game at TCU years ago was actually where my light really began to flicker with all this DD Ball business, the Tulsa loss at Fouts (our worse home loss ever at F'sF) was the straw that broke this eagle's wing.

(3) Hellsbells, I forgot what #3 was going to be, but I forgot, I've been classified as crazy by a few of our self-proclaimed Dr. Phils (actually I figure some of whom just cannot fathom the cold stark truth--truth be told--especially ex UNT employees post Hayden Fry); so I guess being forgetful is part of being crazy, eh? :rolleyes:B) (But as modest and with as much humility as I can say this: I've usually been right on with my assessments of UNT athletics and who it hires for about 3 1/2 decades and many of you fellow older NT fart alums have even told me that thru many of those years. Sorry I have to announce this, but none of this is really rocket science for most (including many of you on GMG.com who also know how the cow eats the cabbage when it concerns UNT athletics). Just wish some of those being nicely paid by the state of Texas could figure out what works and what doesn't work in Denton, Texas, America, and for all that doesnt' work--QUIT REPEATING IT! :blink: You'd think multi-years on the UNT payroll would be enough time to figure out some of what works and what doesn't, right? :(

My sequel to "Humility & How I Attained It" will be out in just a few weeks. :rolleyes::PB)

Back to actually being serious again: There still needs to be some house-cleaning within the UNT athletic department that the hiring of Todd Dodge will still not take the spots off some of those leopards that need to be replaced with true upper echelon NCAA D1-A personnel-types.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Can't blame DD for that. Who would of ever known that the little known DISD , that is so far away from our campus would have so much talent ?? :blink: TD must have been tipped off by someone :blink:

This could have a lot to do with our inability, in recent years, to get folks from Big D to come to our games. If DD were to have worked the DISD schools more, we might have increased attendance. Think of all the friends, neighbors, families, and acquaintances that would come see a recruit they are familiar with play. Possibly our Dallas recruiting will draw more fans. Just visiting these recruits will expose what we have going on.

This could have a lot to do with our inability, in recent years, to get folks from Big D to come to our games. If DD were to have worked the DISD schools more, we might have increased attendance. Think of all the friends, neighbors, families, and acquaintances that would come see a recruit they are familiar with play. Possibly our Dallas recruiting will draw more fans. Just visiting these recruits will expose what we have going on.

Good point. Also you don't even mention the fact that these kids, who are always in the most popular clique, walking around the school with NT gear on will do a bit of advertising for us.