Denton Restaurant Question ?

NT80

Q.> There was discussion recently on another thread about some posters eating at a GOOD restaurant in Denton. Seems it was off the square and had a lot of variety? Or anywhere in Denton for that matter....names?

Yes, NT football related, sorta....you can't have football without food.....

Yummy's very good...It been in town for a while and is very tasty...

Katz's Hamburgers are the best burgers in town.

Best resturant- Olive Garden

No, I don't think it was one of those that was talked about. I can't remember the name, one I hadn't heard before...just looking thru the Denton listings: maybe Central Grill, Sunset Grill, Green House, or Pecan House? Anyone mention one of those in a thread this week????

Edited by NT80

No, I don't think it was one of those that was talked about. I can't remember the name, one I hadn't heard before...just looking thru the Denton listings: maybe Central Grill, Sunset Grill, Green House, or Pecan House? Anyone mention one of those in a thread this week????

Isn't Sweetwater Grill right off the square?

I am not sure where the Central Grill is, but the Sunset Grill is not "off" the square as it is on University over across from Kroger. The Green House could be considered "off" the square though and it is pretty good depending on what day you go. Never heard of the Pecan House, though there is a place on the square called the "Chestnut Tree" which has very good food. There is also a place called Hannah's that has good food which is also just off of the square. Does any of this help?

Sweetwater Grill used to be my favorite place in town. That might be it.

Yeah Sweetwater Grill is awesome

Also Katz's can not hold anything to Denton County Hamburger. If you like Katz's then you were one of the lucky ones to not get sick after eating there.

Edited by untbowler

There is also Hanna's off the Square

I think it was Hanna's that got a writeup in the Texas Monthly (some time ago in their restaruant section and it was only for one month). I want to go there.

I have always been partial to Denton Ind. Hamburger. On the square and one close to University Dr. You will have to look them up in the yellow pages to get the address.

There is also Hanna's off the Square

I have not lived in Denton for almost 2 years now, but Hannah's was a freaking great restuarant. Good wine selection, great steak and seafood. They took over the building that The Texican used to be in.

If you go there to eat and drink you are certain to drop at least $100, but it is worth it. Smokers (I don't know any B) ) this is a great place to sit next to the fountain, even in the winter, and enjoy a smoke, some great food with a french twist, and a nice Scotch. As far as Scotch goes, they don't carry just Dewar's and JB.

Sorry, I go on and on.....

I shouldn't be thinking about food at 0430 mountain time...especially the way my stomach feels this morning.

• Best Burger - Denton Co. Hamburger
  • Best Mexican - El Guapo's (I'm partial because ElGuapo is holding a 6-shooter to my head...I don't think he owns the place...just likes to hear his name)
  • Best Breakfast (on the go)- Rudy's BBQ breakfast tacos in chopped beef and chorizo
  • Best Burrito - Hooyah! (up yours Chipotle)
  • Best Sandwich - Riprocks TurkeyD
  • Best Overall Bar Food - (tie) The Loophole and Cool Beans
  • Best Atmosphere - Sweetwater
  • Most Missed - State Club
and you know I was getting there....

I like pizza...what about you?

Edited by JayDub

Try Burgundy. It's about 1 year old and it's next door to the historic Campus Theater. It's in the remodeled space that used to house Rama's Courtyard Cafe.

Fish and steaks.

Wonderful atmosphere. Run by Tony and Melissa. Tell them I sent you.

I like to go there for lunch.

Best Blu Cheeseburger I've ever had.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

Unquestionably, the best hamburger is at Denton County Independent Hamburger Company. They have the best burgers I have ever had, far superior to anything in Dallas. They are have been great for as long as I can remember.

A really good restauant in Denton is at the Wildwood Inn, which is an elegant bed-and-breakfast on the southside of town, 2602 Lillian Miller Parkway. Their restaurant is fantastic. Expensive, but worth it.

Most missed is a restaurant that closed before many of you were born: Underwood's Barbeque. This is the best barbeque in the world, and still has a very loyal following. Barbeque beefsteak that is so tender you can literally cut with a fork it. The one in Denton closed when the owner of the building decided he could make more by turning it into a bar. There used to be one in Waco, but it closed not too long ago, so the only one left is in Brownwood. I understand its family owned, but some of the younger family members are not interested in the restaurant business.

Second most missed is the Texas Pick-Up, near Fouts. We used to park at Fouts on game days, walk to the Pick-Up for pre-game lunch. Really enjoyed that.

Unquestionably, the best hamburger is at Denton County Independent Hamburger Company. They have the best burgers I have ever had, far superior to anything in Dallas. They are have been great for as long as I can remember.

A really good restauant in Denton is at the Wildwood Inn, which is an elegant bed-and-breakfast on the southside of town, 2602 Lillian Miller Parkway. Their restaurant is fantastic. Expensive, but worth it.

Most missed is a restaurant that closed before many of you were born: Underwood's Barbeque. This is the best barbeque in the world, and still has a very loyal following. Barbeque beefsteak that is so tender you can literally cut with a fork it. The one in Denton closed when the owner of the building decided he could make more by turning it into a bar. There used to be one in Waco, but it closed not too long ago, so the only one left is in Brownwood. I understand its family owned, but some of the younger family members are not interested in the restaurant business.

Second most missed is the Texas Pick-Up, near Fouts. We used to park at Fouts on game days, walk to the Pick-Up for pre-game lunch. Really enjoyed that.

A Underwood's just opened in Gainesville, on the northside of town. Have not eaten there just noticed it as I drove by.

I worked at Underwood's in Denton in the early 70's when I was a student. Chicken fried steak with BBQ sauce. (I know, sounds gross, but it was good!) I also worked at a burger joint across from the (then) Industrial Arts building. I can't remember the name of it, but it had telephones at each table to order from. Good onion rings. It was also famous for the streakers that would run through, especially after a concert in the Auditorium. (Probably the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. That's an inside joke for the oldtimers!) Yes, those were the good times.

GMG!