Boise State..national/co-national Champions!

FirefightnRick

There couldn't be a better example for Todd Dodge use when he starts his education process (make that re-education process) with his new team, than this football game. This game has it all.....and then some.

Boise showed up confident, believing in their abilities, believing in their coaching staff, and believing that, regardless of the situation, they were never out of the game.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched that 4 & 18 on the last drive. And I couldn't believe the absolute, balls, huevos, or whatever term you want to use, that the coaching staff had on them when they decided to go for the win after the overtime TD.

The banquet, spring practice, and spring game can't get here soon enough.

If I had the money, I would take out a full page ad in the DRC and just say this.

TO THE PEOPLE OF DENTON. THE FIESTA BOWL WIN THAT MOST OF THE NATION WITNESSED MONDAY NIGHT IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN AN UNSELFISH COMMUNITY GETS BEHIND IT'S HOME TOWN COLLEGE TEAM.

IT'S TIME FOR THE CITY OF DENTON AND ALL OF DENTON COUNTY TO STEP UP!

I predict UNT will be the next Boise State!!!

To do that we need the City of Denton, just like the City of Boise has done, to fully get behind and financially back this program 100%. The City of Boise stands to recieve the greatest props for this National Championship as any other group of people. They went out and created their own bowl game to promote their university. And regardless of who came to play in it each year they financially funded it and supported it in each and every way. Along the way they helped the university get what ever it needed, including having the money to hire innovative coaches(3 the past 7 years) who understand the importance of putting an entertaining product on the field, as well as having the money to recruit nationally to what has to be one of the most difficult locations imaginable to bring in talent.

It can be done.

Rick

and when you consider location, weather, recruiting area, etc. UNT has an easier path than Boise did.....and I give as much credit to Boise as I possibly can for what they have accomplished.....one of the most impressive things I have seen in years was that Boise coach immediately signaling to go for 2 -- he didn't even hesitate!

To do that we need the City of Denton, just like the City of Boise has done, to fully get behind and financially back this program 100%. The City of Boise stands to recieve the greatest props for this National Championship as any other group of people. They went out and created their own bowl game to promote their university. And regardless of who came to play in it each year they financially funded it and supported it in each and every way. Along the way they helped the university get what ever it needed, including having the money to hire innovative coaches(3 the past 7 years) who understand the importance of putting an entertaining product on the field, as well as having the money to recruit nationally to what has to be one of the most difficult locations imaginable to bring in talent.

It can be done.

Rick

I know this isn't exactly what you're suggesting, but could you imagine how hard people would laugh if we tried to get a bowl game at Fouts???? We can't even get high school playoffs there.

I know this isn't exactly what you're suggesting, but could you imagine how hard people would laugh if we tried to get a bowl game at Fouts???? We can't even get high school playoffs there.

No, I'm not suggesting we sponsor a bowl game at all. But I might add that we were ALL laughing at Boise for doing just that back in '98 when they announced it. No one is laughing now of course. But the Boise city organizers and the university worked together to promote their city and their university and bring attention to what most would consider an "outpost" location for college athletics. It's that "worked together" part is what we have to have.

Rick

I think another important lesson to be taken from this game is to dismiss the idea that a gimmick offense isn't going to work. Stoops said it best about the 2 point conversion that Boise St used to finish them off: something to the effect of "They simply executed it so well."

Call it gimmick, call it high school, call it what you will; but Peterson has them executing that offense to perfection, has the city believing in the program, and the players knowing they can beat anybody.

-gm

Remember last time they were pissed off ( Oregon game ) ????

The poor MUTs came into Norman the next week... 59 -0 !!!

Hadn't thought of that yet :(

But that gives our new coach the perfect opportunity to win the Steven Colbert Medal of Audacity: run the Statue of Liberty on the first play from scrimmage. Can you imagine the rage that would boil in Stoops if it worked?

I love the statue of liberty, hook and lateral and wide receiver option pass that Boise State pulled off, but those kind of plays make you look really bad when they fail. If OU keeps contain on the statue of liberty, Peterson looks like an idiot. They've made the game one for the ages by pulling it off.

Dickey tried a couple of weird plays in a New Orleans bowl, including one where he lined the minimum number of allowed players under center and put a bunch of players wide. We looked goofy.

I love the statue of liberty, hook and lateral and wide receiver option pass that Boise State pulled off, but those kind of plays make you look really bad when they fail. If OU keeps contain on the statue of liberty, Peterson looks like an idiot. They've made the game one for the ages by pulling it off.

Dickey tried a couple of weird plays in a New Orleans bowl, including one where he lined the minimum number of allowed players under center and put a bunch of players wide. We looked goofy.

The reason those plays were successful was because they executed their other plays all throughout the game. Until the miffed punt Boise had OU looking like they were the team that didn't deserve to be there and more than likely would have ended that game in a route.

And about the play you mentioned in the New Orleans Bowl. Are you talking about the fake punt in which (was it Richard Bridges?) back as punter or upback, took the snap, hesitated and then got sacked? If so that was actually a great call because Colorado State sucked in and left one of our guy's all alone down the center of the field but the punter didn't see him. He hesitated and got sacked instead of simply laying the ball out in front. Had he done so it's six points and put NT back into the game.

Rick

That was a great game, and I do believe UNT could do something like that in time.....but make no mistake, Florida could blow out OSU or win by a point but it won't matter. There is NO way they are going to win a NC since they are not from a BCS conference. That OU team was lead by a WR at QB, had two losses, and they only won by one point - no nearly enough to be considered for a NC. It does give more credit to the need for a playoff system.

That was a great game, and I do believe UNT could do something like that in time.....but make no mistake, Florida could blow out OSU or win by a point but it won't matter. There is NO way they are going to win a NC since they are not from a BCS conference. That OU team was lead by a WR at QB, had two losses, and they only won by one point - no nearly enough to be considered for a NC. It does give more credit to the need for a playoff system.

Perhaps not, but imagine if Boise is the only undefeated team that isn't the national champion and didn't get a shot at the title?

Ugh!!!! Robert Smith(RB from Ohio State, then for Minnesota Vikings) just gave the WORST, absolute excuse as to why there isn't a playoff. He said "I know some want a playoff, and that this is what they have in 1-AA, D II and DIII, but that's why those players are playing in the lower classifications and can afford to play in a playoff, because those players can't take the beating you get when you play at the upper level". What?

Maybe he was trying to say that it would be too difficult of a beating playing 16 games in D IA because it's somehow more physical and demanding? If that's what he was trying to point out then it's even worse. Give me a break! Look at all the 1-AA players currently playing in the NFL during a 16 or more game season.

The excuses will never end.

I say if Boise is denied a share of the NC, regardless of who wins next week, then I hope that the City of Boise prints up NC banners, celebrates an NC just as they would if they were Ohio St and even go so far as having NC rings made up and given to the players. Boise and the City of Boise should act like Champions, because in my book, they are.

Rick

I say if Boise is denied a share of the NC, regardless of who wins next week, then I hope that the City of Boise prints up NC banners, celebrates an NC just as they would if they were Ohio St and even go so far as having NC rings made up and given to the players. Boise and the City of Boise should act like Champions, because in my book, they are.

Rick

Not sure if that's the smartest thing: sort of giving the system the finger. Boise State did the right thing, beating the system's door down by following the system's own rules.

I do agree re: your opinion of the Robert Smith comments.

-gm

Full article

Broncos earn respect with improbable victory

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- At the end of a game unlike any college football has ever witnessed, two of the great female icons in American culture staged a harmonic, hypnotic, borderline hallucinogenic convergence.

Boise State introduced Cinderella to Lady Liberty.

A head-to-toe, shining-beacon-to-glass-slipper miracle ensued.

The Broncos culminated an unrivaled string of gusto-laden, do-or-die trick plays with one of the oldest in the book, the Statue of Liberty. And when Ian Johnson grabbed Jared Zabransky's behind-the-back handoff, scooted around the left side and scored two titanic points to beat lordly Oklahoma 43-42 in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, magic bloomed in the desert.

"It doesn't even seem real to me," Boise State offensive tackle Andrew Woodruff said, perplexedly rubbing his burr-headed scalp on the field while the Broncos fans roared in the stands.

Reality was further challenged when Johnson followed his winning run with an on-field wedding proposal to his flabbergasted cheerleader girlfriend. But, please, one blockbuster story at a time.

The big picture: The Valley of the Stun was the stage as an indomitable bunch of dreamers in orange pants landed the mightiest populist blow of college football's modern era. They were Hickory High in helmets, George Mason in cleats. They knocked off a gridiron giant one decade to the day after the burial of Pokey Allen, the beloved Boise coach who brought the program up to Division I-A status just 11 years ago.

The doors to the sport's throne room seem thrown open as never before.

Check the plaque at the lady's feet on Liberty Island this morning and see if the familiar sonnet has been changed. See if it now reads, "Give me your non-BCS teams tired of being disrespected, your poor of football budget, your huddled masses of mid-major strivers yearning to play in the grandest bowl games." And see if Lady Liberty is wearing a Boise State jersey today.

The Broncos entered their first Bowl Championship Series game undefeated but unloved in some elitist quarters. The Western Athletic Conference champions were made a steep underdog to the twice-beaten Sooners, and were suspected by some of fraudulence. They carried not just their own quest for nationwide credibility into this game, but the hopes and dreams of every alleged mid-major team that had been snubbed by a system of the rich, for the rich and by the rich.

More:

Boise puts the BS in BCS

Edited by ColoradoEagle

More excuses heard on the radio coming home this morning by OU BCS apologists.

"Boise doesn't deserve a claim to the NC, lets just see how well Boise St. would hold up to having to play a full Big 12 season?".

Yeah, besdes the fact that Boise beat 4 other bowl teams this season, I'm sure a team of BSU's caliber couldn't hold up to the likes of the schedule OU had during their own 13-0 run and claim to the NC back in 2000, which included wins over great powerhouses such as:

1-10 Arkansas State

3-8 Rice

4-7 Kansas

2-9 Baylor

7-6 Texas Tech(one of their 7 wins came during a squirrel-out, 6 point fluke win over freshman Scott Hall's 3-8 North Texas Mean Green)

3-8 Oklahoma State

The BCS apologist seem to continue to conveniently forget the reason why some of their teams go O' fer during these so called National Championship runs.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

"Boise doesn't deserve a claim to the NC, lets just see how well Boise St. would hold up to having to play a full Big 12 season?".

Maybe not.

But if Boise State was in the big 12, they'd be pulling Big 12 caliber recruits.

It's the same nonsense we heard about Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas. "Well they did it against Sun Belt defenses. If they played a Big 12 schedule, they would never gain that many yards"

Yeah, and they also did it behind a sun belt O-line. Imagine one of those guys with UT or OU's O-line...

Its a stupid argument because its impossible to know how it would have worked out. All we know is Boise won every game they played. They did the best you can do. That should count for something. I'll be disappointed if they aren't #2 in the final poll.