Vito's BLOG

Stan R

Just a thought, but what about a solid green helmet?

No logo or name, like Ohio State and Notre Dame. And Southlake, I guess. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it might work with Mean Green. Sort of like Alabama, but without the numbers on helmets.

With our switching from one logo to another and one font to another, the only consistent thing has been "Mean Green." Well, maybe we should just go with that.

Edited by Smitty

Green helmet with a white stripe down the middle that has a thin black outline (optional).

Saweet!

But I'm not sure if that is out there yet or not. Does any other team have just a green helmet with white stripe. I don't know.

You could do some small "traditional" things to jazz it up like the player number at the base of the back. If you put it on the side, too Alabama-ish and not unique. But, leave off the number and use little eagle symbols (new logo) as marks for merits of some sort on the back working its way up and out.

You could put two mean looking eyes on the front above the face area to try to make it look like a mean green monster looking at you... haha

Here we go again.  rolleyes.gif Vito has someone proposing we go back to the eagles nickname and put the eagle back on the helmet.  I for one agree with RV that we should stick with the unique Mean Green.  I tried to post on his blog but my request timed out. Thoughts?

Vito did not propose that NT go back to Eagles, an alum did. All Brett did was post a letter he was sent.

Green helmet with a white stripe down the middle that has a thin black outline (optional). 

Saweet! 

But I'm not sure if that is out there yet or not.  Does any other team have just a green helmet with white stripe.  I don't know. 

You could do some small "traditional" things to jazz it up like the player number at the base of the back.  If you put it on the side, too Alabama-ish and not unique.  But, leave off the number and use little eagle symbols (new logo) as marks for merits of some sort on the back working its way up and out. 

A solid color with a single stripe down the middle, like Penn State. Solid green with a white stripe. It'd be up to the coach if he wants to do the little Eagle stickers like Ohio State's buckeyes for making big plays.

With that kelly green, I think that would look sharp.

I don't know if anyone else uses a solid green helmet. I know about these helmets from schools whose colors include green:

Oregon - gold "O" on green helmet

Michigan State - white "S" on green helmet

Baylor - BU on gold helmet

Marshall - "M" on white helmet

Alabama-Birmingham - dragon on gold helmet

South Florida - bulls logo on gold helmet

Colorado State - gold ram horns on green helmet

Tulane - T on green helmet

Ohio - Ohio on white helmet

There's got to be more.

Edited by Smitty

Here's the deal.

Nickname - Mean Green

Mascot - Eagle

ex:  Alabama

Nickname - Crimson Tide

Mascot - Elephant

Everyone one in the nation knows the Crimson Tide.  If they do not know already they will soon recognize the Mean Green name.

We will always have the Eagle as our Mascot.

ohmy.gif

thank you, I dont know why this is so hard to understand!

Id love to see the new eagle (full eagle, not just head) logo on the helmet, but I dont see it happening and I am content with the North Texas. I'd really like to see that interlocking NT I have seen on peoples avatars, but understand that isnt even an option

thank you, I dont know why this is so hard to understand!

Id love to see the new eagle (full eagle, not just head) logo on the helmet, but I dont see it happening and I am content with the North Texas. I'd really like to see that interlocking NT I have seen on peoples avatars, but understand that isnt even an option

I don't want an Eagle on the helmets because it would be confusing. It would be like Alabama putting an elephant on their helmets.

Interlocked NT..........see below. But I just don't think it will happen. I can't stand the current helmets - too hard to read.

Does anyone know what tradition is? It's when you have something, and stick with it. There are plenty of sports uniforms out there that suck, but you have to admire the tradition that accompanies that.

I, for one, am not a fan of the Michigan helmets. But I really think its cool that their helmets have been that way for a long, long time. That's what traditions are, and that's what UNT is missing.

Changing every 9 months is really what's bush league.

I would personally like to see the uniform/helmet switch to match our actual school color...that is top priority for me. I'd love the new eagle to be on the helmet, eventually, if we stick with it long enough...people will know that it's North Texas.

By the way, Southlake has a hideos fire breathing cartoon dragon head on top of the state of Texas as their helmet logo. Love the colors though!

Here's the deal.

Nickname - Mean Green

Mascot - Eagle

ex:  Alabama

Nickname - Crimson Tide

Mascot - Elephant

Everyone one in the nation knows the Crimson Tide.  If they do not know already they will soon recognize the Mean Green name.

We will always have the Eagle as our Mascot.

ohmy.gif

Of course, Alabama adopted the Crimson Tide monikor before they used a white elephant as a mascot. NT was the Eagles for generations.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Building up that green eagle logo is essential to increasing merchandising and the royalty revenue. Put it on the helmet and the field, and leave it there forever. If the can figure out a way to make it very distinguishable even when on a green background that would be good, because they should try to keep the helmet green too instead of white.

I will say it once again, there is no taking away from 'Mean Green' by having the eagle logo. That is because there is no plausible visual representation for 'mean green' as a general concept. The eagle is green. It is a mean eagle. It will fly away with your little dog if you're not careful.

As noted by others, the eagle is a consistent tradition for North Texas. It would be rather mindless to relegate it to the corner. Some of you seem to think there is some cognitive dissonance that arises when someone says 'Mean Green' and you see a green eagle. However, the reality is that most peoples' minds would not experience a conflict. Now if we said 'Mean Green' and showed a purple eagle, people would get confused and might start to think it was Mardi Gras or something. Likewise, if we said 'Mean Bear' and showed an eagle, then it would be an extreme panic and people would start to question their faith and probably cats and dogs would start living together.

Building up that green eagle logo is essential to increasing merchandising and the royalty revenue. Put it on the helmet and the field, and leave it there forever. If the can figure out a way to make it very distinguishable even when on a green background that would be good, because they should try to keep the helmet green too instead of white.

I will say it once again, there is no taking away from 'Mean Green' by having the eagle logo. That is because there is no plausible visual representation for 'mean green' as a general concept. The eagle is green. It is a mean eagle. It will fly away with your little dog if you're not careful.

As noted by others, the eagle is a consistent tradition for North Texas. It would be rather mindless to relegate it to the corner. Some of you seem to think there is some cognitive dissonance that arises when someone says 'Mean Green' and you see a green eagle. However, the reality is that most peoples' minds would not experience a conflict. Now if we said 'Mean Green' and showed a purple eagle, people would get confused and might start to think it was Mardi Gras or something. Likewise, if we said 'Mean Bear' and showed an eagle, then it would be an extreme panic and people would start to question their faith and probably cats and dogs would start living together.

Agree. It's like Nebraska's Big Red. They are still the Cornhuskers and have the "N" on the helmets and secondary logo is a goofy farmer but Big Red fits with all that. Same for Mean Green and "NT" and Eagle logo...it all fits together.

How about the new Eagle on the helmet with "HEMI POWERED" below it. rolleyes.gif

"HEMI POWERED along the middle stripe. I saw an old picture of Army/Navy and Navy had "BEAT ARMY" along the middle stripe in front so the opposing players had to see it with every block/tackle/hit. biggrin.gif