Fun With Speculation

adman

I'm glad that there is excitement, but beating OU simply isn't realistic. 

It's fun to think about though.  Would enough people show to cart their goalposts out of the stadium?

Then it's a good thing that none of us are coaching (or in charge of motivating) the North Texas team.

You have to show up to win EVERY GAME. Otherwise we'll just continue to be, at best, KING OF THE DIPSHITS (aka Sunbelt Conf. Champs).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what Finch said that has stirred everyone up so much.

This is an exciting time, but let's set realistic expectations or we will be setting up this great new hire to fail.

We are coming off a 3-9 record with talent recruited for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. A totally new system will be implemented with QBs that struggled just to take a snap without a delay penalty. We play OK, SMU, and Arkansas that I know of in OOC. We hope to come out of that 1-2, but it could be 0-3 because SMU I think figured out some things after their loss to us.

Our number one goal is to take back the conference which I can't believe we lost hold off in so short a time (horrendous recruiting). It is possible that could happen real fast with Dodge. But, building to the point of being competitive with OU in Norman is probably a few years away. Not because it can't be done, but because we set back due to the above (horrendous recruiting).

So, I agree with Finch that 2007 will probably not see much OOC success, but we should get back to having a competent offense in our own conference. Losing 35-0 on our own field to a conference mate should be a thing of the past.

Let's hope.

You have to show up to win EVERY GAME. Otherwise we'll just continue to be, at best, KING OF THE DIPSHITS (aka Sunbelt Conf. Champs).

No one has said that the team should not prepare or play to win. The players will play their best game against OU, but in 2007 we will probably not have the horses or the system implemented to be competitive. We are not even king of the dipshits right now.

Then it's a good thing that none of us are coaching (or in charge of motivating) the North Texas team.

I'm certainly not saying we should be defeatist. Dodge will definitely have these kids pumped up with a good attitude. *IF* Dodge beats OU in his first game, it would be the biggest win of any first year coach in NCAA history.

It's that Billy Bob High School Coach isn't standing on the sideline of OU or Arkansas with a sideline full of undersized white kids who are on the team more to have a better shot at the cheerleaders than to actually play football.

Might I add that at times you've have a $hitty attitude and a $hittier memory.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You must be kidding.  Not agreeing with you about everything = troll?  Being realistic about what we have as far as athletes right now versus what OU and Arkansas has = troll?  Sad.

No, your the sad one here. Take your negative ass somewhere else. I said nothing about Arkansas or OU. Your stupid analogy of

It's that Billy Bob High School Coach isn't standing on the sideline of OU or Arkansas with a sideline full of undersized white kids who are on the team more to have a better shot at the cheerleaders than to actually play football.

Is nothing but Trolldom to me. Take it somewhere else.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You must be kidding.  Not agreeing with you about everything = troll?  Being realistic about what we have as far as athletes right now versus what OU and Arkansas has = troll?  Sad.

Being realistic would have been saying something about their Big 12 depth vs. our Sun Belt depth. Articulating it in a way that knocks on the players dignity and desire to play football, however, was a cheap shot at UNT football and a slap in the face to the program and the players.

I completely relate to someone that likes to play devil's advocate with all this optimism; I'm usually on board with reality, too. However, feel free to choose your words more wisely.

-gm

Being realistic would have been saying something about their Big 12 depth vs. our Sun Belt depth.  Articulating it in a way that knocks on the players dignity and desire to play football, however, was a cheap shot at UNT football and a slap in the face to the program and the players.

I completely relate to someone that likes to play devil's advocate with all this optimism; I'm usually on board with reality, too.  However, feel free to choose your words more wisely.

-gm

THANK YOU!

Rick

You're obviously read only the parts you want to read. Otherwise, you'd have seen my comments about the defense.

You're way too touchy. Several poster on here have agreed with me. Are they "trolls" as well?

Just because I don't spend every moment of my life on this board doesn't make me any less a UNT fan than you. Neither does having a differing opinion about some things. Newsflash - not everyone will agree with you 100% of time.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Look everybody needs to step back from the ledge and relax.

Now the question was will we have a better chance in Norman now that TD is the coach instead of DD.

Well the answer to that question is YES. There is no doubt in my mind that with TD as the coach we have a better chance to win.

We will go up there with the attitiude that we can win, instead of lets just get our of here healthy.

Now do i believe were going to win, NO. Reality tells you that, but who would of given TCU a chance in norman two years ago? Remember OU has to replace a running back and quaterback, so they have a lot of questions as well.

Could this game be a blowour like the past years? Most defintly, but at least were going to go up there and try to win the game. which to me is the most important part.

It's not just given the time restraints and athletes.  It's that Billy Bob High School Coach isn't standing on the sideline of OU or Arkansas with a sideline full of undersized white kids who are on the team more to have a better shot at the cheerleaders than to actually play football.

Slap in the face to our new coach and our players. UNT will never have as deep a pool of quality of athletes that OU and AR have, but UNT DOES have athletes on this team right now that were nationally ranked and recruited by OU and AR.

Now that this team has a quality coach that can implement discipline, execution and whose character will be respected, EXPECT GREAT THINGS!!!

IF you are a UNT supporter, then show it. Lose the attitude and start promoting this program to the height that most of us think it deserves.

Now the question was will we have a better chance in Norman now that TD is the coach instead of DD.

Well the answer to that question is YES.  There is no doubt in my mind that with TD as the coach we have a better chance to win.

We will go up there with the attitiude that we can win, instead of lets just get our of here healthy.

Now do i believe were going to win, NO.  Reality tells you that, but who would of given TCU a chance in norman two years ago?  Remember OU has to replace a running back and quaterback, so they have a lot of questions as well. 

Could this game be a blowour like the past years?  Most defintly, but at least were going to go up there and try to win the game.  which to me is the most important part.

Exactly what I was thinking while reading the thread I took it as the TC asking everyone else that if they felt as hid did that we have a better chance of beating OU with TD rather that DD

Your obviously read only the parts you want to read.  Otherwise, you'd have seen my comments about the defense. 

How would I have seen your other comments if I was reading your Billy Bob drivel? And I try not to read a thing you post which may be a better reason for not reading your comments about the defense in the first place.

You're way too touchy. 

You'll never get the satisfaction of knowing. This door doesn't swing that way.

Several poster on here have agreed with me.  Are they "trolls" as well?

I think I have even agreed with you.....ONCED. Your still a Troll.

Just because I don't spend every moment of my life on this board doesn't make me any less a UNT fan than you.  Neither does having a differing opinion about some things.  Newsflash - not everyone will agree with you 100% of time.

I understand that. I'm shooting more towards MOST everyone agreeing with me 98% of the time.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Well the answer to that question is YES.  There is no doubt in my mind that with TD as the coach we have a better chance to win.

Now do i believe were going to win, NO.  Reality tells you that, but who would of given TCU a chance in norman two years ago?  Remember OU has to replace a running back and quaterback, so they have a lot of questions as well. 

Could this game be a blowour like the past years?  Most defintly, but at least were going to go up there and try to win the game.  which to me is the most important part.

Well said, except OU may lose one running back but has 4-5 behind him that can do the job.

I agree with everything else. I was trying to support Finch when he was speaking in realistic terms but too bad he had to go over the top.

What TFLF is trying to say is that Dodge will be coaching against some pretty high caliber, experienced college coaches, not HS coaches who have guys that are 5'6" 140 filling their roster. The reference is what Dodge sees every week now as opposed to what he will see in Sept 2007. READ CLOSELY and now EXHALE SLOWLY, everybody OK now. Rick? You OK, take it easy partner.

What TFLF is trying to say is that Dodge will be coaching against some pretty high caliber, experienced college coaches, not HS coaches who have guys that are 5'6" 140 filling their roster. The reference is what Dodge sees every week now as opposed to what he will see in Sept 2007.  READ CLOSELY and now EXHALE SLOWLY, everybody OK now. Rick?  You OK, take it easy partner.

If 'Fake' meant his comment in the context above, then HE needs to come back on and clarify.

If above is how he MEANT to quantify, then I apologize for the pointed response.

There has been way too much negative vibes from this site in the past months. We all have a 'tired' head. Now is the time to pull together, celebrate a tremendous hire and look forward to the future.

If 'Fake' meant his comment in the context above, then HE needs to come back on and clarify.

If above is how he MEANT to quantify, then I apologize for the pointed response.

There has been way too much negative vibes from this site in the past months.  We all have a 'tired' head.  Now is the time to pull together, celebrate a tremendous hire and look forward to the future.

Read the context again, Fake meant that the guys Dodge faces every week aren't near the caliber that he will face in the years to come. Seems pretty cleat to me.