Something to think about

GreenGramma

I do not believe that one person on this board does not support the players.  Most have a problem with the leaders and the plays or system the players are given to execute.

As long as a player gives the effort I have no problems.

ohmy.gif

You obviously haven't been reading this forum for the past couple of months. Shredding tickets, mailing tickets back to the ahtletic office, boycotting games, pulling financial support, etc..... actions in support of the players?

Edited by GreenGramma

You obviously haven't been reading this forum for the past couple of months.  Shredding tickets, mailing tickets back to the ahtletic office, boycotting games, pulling financial support, etc.....  actions in support of the players?

Look at the other side of the coin. Fans have power only in attendance & donations. When you pull that, you are making a statement to the athletic department. If support falls, look no where else but the head of UNT athletics. 100% of the blame should be placed there. Using the excuse of NOT supporting the players by our fans is an easy cop out.

You obviously haven't been reading this forum for the past couple of months. Shredding tickets, mailing tickets back to the ahtletic office, boycotting games, pulling financial support, etc..... actions in support of the players?

Maybe the better question is whether the coaches and staff support the players? That's where it has to start.

(And I would say that not putting your players in a postion to wins games indicates a lack of support)

Guest JohnDenver

It's all hot air.

When I really see paper bags, shredded tickets and burning of UNT flags, then I will believe it..

People are just blowing off steam.

See everyone Saturday.

We are planning homemade sausage at our tailgating.

As if I would really wear a paper bag.  laugh.gif

I probably would, but I dont see myself making a 600 mile roundtrip to watch another egg-laying. Im not pulling my season tickets (in fact I will increase them again next year), and I will continue my donations, but I wont make a huge effort to drive from Houston to Denton, find places to stay, etc, just to raise my blood pressure and be disappointed. I can do that at home watching the Texans.

It's all hot air.

When I really see paper bags, shredded tickets and burning of UNT flags, then I will believe it..

People are just blowing off steam.

See everyone Saturday.

We are planning homemade sausage at our tailgating.

Great post. Every time I can get into town, I wouldn't miss being in the stands for just about anything, regardless of record or opponent. I would think most of the die-hards here are just blowing off steam as well... can't imagine any have really "quit"... you can't be a quitter and a NT fan at the same time.... not with our history. We need to make this job as attractive as possible, and hurting the school because we don't like the direction of a coaching staff is either very misguided or self-important.

As an alum, I have the right to support or not support UNT. That is my decision and it is not an obligation, it is a privilege to provide the support. However, how I support the university is my business.

If football leaves UNT then so be it. It would probably be better than spending the money we are spending for the product we are getting. I support the team, the band, the students, but because I do not send money does not mean I do not support UNT!!!

Bill Ison,

Class of 92 & 98 mad.gifmad.gif

As an alum, I have the right to support or not support UNT.  That is my decision and it is not an obligation, it is a privilege to provide the support.  However, how I support the university is my business. 

If football leaves UNT then so be it.  It would probably be better than spending the money we are spending for the product we are getting.  I support the team, the band, the students, but because I do not send money does not mean I do not support UNT!!!

Bill Ison,

Class of 92 & 98 mad.gif  mad.gif

Yep.

This "if you don't buy tickets and attend you are hurting the players" argument is lame. Lack of ticket sales doesn't hurt the players, it can only hurt the athletic department...that's who the message has to come across to.

So if attendance drops to the point where they drop football and give that money to the other sports, will you guys be fine with that? Start rooting for UT or something?

The AD won't drop football. They may be slow but they aren't stupid. They saw what happened to donations, alumni support, etc. when we dropped down to 1AA. They don't want that crap all over again, only worse. RV would NEVER let us drop football. He has worked too hard to build the program and the universitys image.

We may not be Notre Dame, but look at what happened to their last coach when alumni support went to hell. He was out. RV will see that Dickey does not have the support of the alumni and know it is time to make the change. I truely believe that a win for DD this weekend buys him next year and a loss means he has to fire some coaches or get fired himself. I don't think a losing season can, will, or should be tolerated by RV.

The argument of dropping football entirely is entirely rediculous. The BoR and even Jackson know it would be a death sentence for not only alumni athletic donations, but alot of donations that have come in recently on the academic side as well. Not to mention the revenues off of clothing and the like. I would love to see the numbers on how much the sales on those are up since 2001.

Yep. 

This "if you don't buy tickets and attend you are hurting the players" argument is lame.  Lack of ticket sales doesn't hurt the players, it can only hurt the athletic department...that's who the message has to come across to.

Again, your missing the "TARGET AUDIENCE". The AD and his staff know exactly what is at stake here and would LOVE to help the situation but the BOR members will not let them. I don't know how much more clear I can say it.

I'd love to have about 5 minutes to talk to Mr. Ray about our future. Not sure I could talk some sense into him but it would certainly make me feel better.

Rick

Is it possible that if enough of you pulled your support and boycotted football that the university could decide to drop it all together?

If so, would you be happy about this?

Happy as Pie if this is the type program that we plan to continue, and I have been in the stands and giving big $$ for nearly 40 years. This program is a sham and disgrace to the university. A coach that does not want to be here and only is because of his crony on BOR, an AD who doesn't have the guts to stand up and do his job, and an administration who thinks you can be a major university w/o an athletic program. Either fund for 1-A or pull the plug, but at least then fund BB and don't do the UTA double cross of dropping FB and continuing as usual with that farce of a BB facility equivalent to drama on a stage BB.

Again, your missing the "TARGET AUDIENCE".  The AD and his staff know exactly what is at stake here and would LOVE to help the situation but the BOR members will not let them.  I don't know how much more clear I can say it. 

I'd love to have about 5 minutes to talk to Mr. Ray about our future.  Not sure I could talk some sense into him but it would certainly make me feel better.

Rick

Hey he sits in Section E on row 20 or so. If the yellow jackets give you trouble about getting into the section I'll bring you a ticket. I've said plenty to him this year, he just keeps munching away on his peanuts looking oblivious.

Again, your missing the "TARGET AUDIENCE".  The AD and his staff know exactly what is at stake here and would LOVE to help the situation but the BOR members will not let them.  I don't know how much more clear I can say it. 

I'd love to have about 5 minutes to talk to Mr. Ray about our future.  Not sure I could talk some sense into him but it would certainly make me feel better.

Rick

Well, I found this interesting. I looked up the Board of Regents on www.unt.edu and the only regent that offers contact information is the student regent. So I emailed her asking how to contact the board, and here is her reply:

Thank you very much. It is at times a somewhat difficult task to serve as the Student Regent, however I truly enjoy every minute of it. You may contact the other regents through Kay Miles, she is the assistant to the UNT System Chancellor, Lee Jackson. Her  e-mail is kaymiles@unt.edu.

So, if you think you'll get these read or answered good luck, but there's your contact. Fire away.

Either fund for 1-A or pull the plug, but at least then fund BB and don't do the UTA double cross of dropping FB and continuing as usual with that farce of a BB facility equivalent to drama on a stage BB.

I hear ya completely on the bb facility. Not to hijack this discussion, but I would merely point out that, at a minimum, it wasn't a complete farce. One consequence of having the football program, in our case, was that our other sports were starved and underfunded. I'm talking basic essentials such as not being able to offer the full NCAA allowable limit of scholarships in all sports. You don't have a chance if you can't offer a full compliment of scholarships. Post-football, we were able to significantly increase spending on all other sports, including offering the maximum number of allowable scholarships in all sports, increase coaches' salaries, and add some assistants. With the rare exception, we were losers in our "minor" sports. Now, we are quite competitive in all of our sports (granted, with men's basketball being the weakest link and exception to the greater successes of our other teams). Our teams routinely win championships, beat big names, and make NCAA tournament appearances. I'm not equating any of this with the splash that successful football and men's basketball teams make, but, even so, it is nice to produce winners. We didn't do that before.

Hey he sits in Section E on row 20 or so.  If the yellow jackets give you trouble about getting into the section I'll bring you a ticket.  I've said plenty to him this year, he just keeps munching away on his peanuts looking oblivious.

LOL!!! laugh.gif

Care to share some specifics from these conversations?

ph34r.gif

Is it possible that if enough of you pulled your support and boycotted football that the university could decide to drop it all together?

If so, would you be happy about this?

They don't really have football now. They've got some coaches, and people wearing a uniform, but there's no football program at the University of North Texas.

At this point, I probably would be fine with it. If they're not serious about it, they shouldn't waste everyone's time and money on it.