Why can't we blame the players?

shaft

At a certain point the discussion has to turn to the peformance of the players themselves. Its easy to trash the coaching staff, their the ones getting paid, but when are people on this board going to man up and talk about the players.

If this season is over, then why not bench all the seniors?

A simple answer is the Buck stops with the coaching period.

It is the coach's job to recruit.

Coach the players.

Motivate the players.

Have a team fielded, ready to play, prepared properly to win football games.

In short it is all on the coaches.

Edited by KingDL1

At a certain point the discussion has to turn to the peformance of the players themselves.  Its easy to trash the coaching staff, their the ones getting paid, but when are people on this board going to man up and talk about the players.

The coaches recruited the players in question. Try again.

A loss to FIU or another performance like last weekend and the coaching staff seals its fate.  But why aren't we talking about the entire product NT is putting out?

First let me say that you are giving the real Shaft a bad name. Cuz you ain't no bad mutha. biggrin.gif

Anyway, as for your argument, I can answer that simply.

Watch the SMU game. This team proved they could play well and win. Now are you honestly going to tell me the play from that night when compared to the next 3 weeks is only slightly different? It's a complete 180 from SMU to now.

How can you blame the players? A well coached team is always prepared. This offense should not be this sloppy and pathetic with the talent it presently has.

At a certain point the discussion has to turn to the peformance of the players themselves.  Its easy to trash the coaching staff, their the ones getting paid, but when are people on this board going to man up and talk about the players.

Thank you for calming down - but its a rule of this board to not trash the players for one. I, for one, would not dare violate it.

As for the senior thing, I don't understand your logic at all. Can you explain further?

I definitely blame the coaches, especially on offense, but I think there are a few stones to throw in regard to some of the players. I'm not going to pick on any player in particular unless it continues and becomes really apparent, but defense is based on intensity and the intensity level last week was no where near what it was for the SMU game.

The effort and hustle just did not look like it was quite there on defense last week. Sure the coaches are supposed to motivate and get the most out of these guys, but if DD and company aren't doing their job then the players need to show a little pride and get out there and kick some butt all on their own. That's what team leadership is all about.

I definitely blame the coaches, especially on offense, but I think there are a few stones to throw in regard to some of the players. I'm not going to pick on any player in particular unless it continues and becomes really apparent, but defense is based on intensity and the intensity level last week was no where near what it was for the SMU game.

The effort and hustle just did not look like it was quite there on defense last week. Sure the coaches are supposed to motivate and get the most out of these guys, but if DD and company aren't doing their job then the players need to show a little pride and get out there and kick some butt all on their own. That's what team leadership is all about.

Maybe so, but these guys have given up on this staff. Pride only goes so far and if you don't have any faith in those at the top, you're just not going to lay it on the line for them.

As a long time poster on GoMeanGreen.com and on the end part of Harry's Mean Green which preceeded this forum; anyway, during all that time I (as many of you) never dissed any Mean Green football player. Most of us who played Texas HS football can relate to some of what they are going thru, but few of us (certainly not this slow white boy) can relate to what they are going thru at the college level.

I think we have talent on this football team, but (unfortunately for some) I think we are going to have a new UNT HFC who brings a whole new enthusiasm and Game Plan for them to reach their fullest potential and.............some discipline on the playing field will come along with that as well.

You know, none of us would appreciate any message board commenting on any of our respective jobs for one minute, but when you are in a high profile position at the 4'th largest university in Texas and get paid some pretty decent monies, it just comes with the territory and DD knew this coming in since he grew up in a Big 8 Conference head football coaches home.

I think we should actually admire all these guys for signing on with UNT and it is my hope as I know it would be many of yours that our younger Mean Green football players will play on a UNT football team that gets us out of a long drought of not being in the Top 20(now 25) ranking before they graduate. This is do-able at UNT because it was do-able at UTEP with Mike Price and speaking of UTEP rolleyes.gif

Here is UNT and UTEP's all time football series record:

UNT 13 Wins

UTEP 5 Wins

** 3 Ties

As for the senior thing, I don't understand your logic at all. Can you explain further?

If you know that you are going to lose, you DO NOT lose with seniors. You lose with Freshman, sophomores and juniors.

Get the young kids some game experience.

I'm all for this if the seniors are not doing their job. And the only senior doing his job is you love.

If you know that you are going to lose, you DO NOT lose with seniors. You lose with Freshman, sophomores and juniors.

Get the young kids some game experience.

I'm all for this if the seniors are not doing their job. And the only senior doing his job is you love.

I know you meant your, but still funny.

Besides, our players can learn so much from watching on the sidelines and picking the coaches brains...... that's why our older players never make mental mistakes, they've seen it all!

I'm talking about Quoner's love for Johnny Quinn.

He is the only senior playing worth a $hit!

And No, I am not a woman.

I thought you was referring to him as "love".

I usually call my wife "love" or "babe", thus, the confusion on you & Quoners realtionship.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

I don't buy that the coaches are responsible for everything.

And if the players really have given up on the coaches, the way some folks on the board have then don't go to the games, and sit all the seniors.

If this season is really so over, then all we can do is plan for the future, giving anytime to the seniors does nothing to get us ready for the future.

And if the season is really over then don't go to the games. Don't post on the board. Don't wear the merchandise. We're done. We suck.

But if we're getting ready for the future, shouldn't we continue to support the team? Keep attendence up? Show some pride?

The coaching staff's fate resides in the product they roll out the next few weeks. Supporting the team now is not an endorsement of the current football product.

When we get a mean a-hole disciplinarian Head Coach, we will have a mean disciplined team!

A Football team is always a reflection of the Coach, ALWAYS!

I absolutely agree with you in that the product on the field is a direct reflection of the coaching staff.

However, I do not, for one minute, believe a coach has to be a mean, old, A-Hole to succeed and field a disciplined team. Coach's should be able to to get through to their players on many different levels. I'm not saying he should be buddy, buddy, but being a d*ckhead, is not effective in this day & age.

I absolutely agree with you in that the product on the field is a direct reflection of the coaching staff.

However, I do not, for one minute, believe a coach has to be a mean, old, A-Hole to succeed and field a disciplined team. Coach's should be able to to get through to their players on many different levels. I'm not saying he should be buddy, buddy, but being a d*ckhead, is not effective in this day & age.

Umm, Bill Parcells? Bob Knight?

I will say it again, We have a SOFT inconsistent Head Coach as a result, we have a SOFT inconsistent football team.

When we get a mean a-hole disciplinarian Head Coach, we will have a mean disciplined team!

Put another way, the speed of the captain, the speed of the crew. My new signature! cool.gif

I will say it again, We have a SOFT inconsistent Head Coach as a result, we have a SOFT inconsistent football team.

I TOTALLY agree with this. A laid back football player ends up a laid-out football player. A pissed off football player uses it on the field and does the laying out. Where is "Bobby Boucher" when you need him?