Mean Green Club Member Total

rcade

I just read that the Mean Green Club had only 52 members when RV began in 2001. Does anyone know how many we have today? I'm curious about whether we're truly back to 1999 or have a genuine foundation of support here after four bowl trips.

I think I read on this board or somewhere that we had 700+ now. I know I added one yesterday. I paid for an expensive ($250) MGC parking pass for my daughter yesterday morning. She works every Saturday and has to drive up separately from Fort Worth. If I had only known that for the rest of the season she could have paid $10 and parked in the blue lot since no one will be coming to the games!

We'll still be in our seats.

GMG!

I just graduated two years ago. I would love to join the Mean Green Club. But, I never will until i see we have an administration raising the bar of success. That means, making good hires and fires when necessary. The only money they will recieve from me is a ticket into the game. And I am not so sure I am going to another one this year.

So long as we get the results with who we have that we are right now... i refuse to support that.

my two pennies worth

I just graduated two years ago. I would love to join the Mean Green Club.  But, I never will until i see we have an administration raising the bar of success.  That means, making good hires and fires when necessary.  The only money they will recieve from me is a ticket into the game. And I am not so sure I am going to another one this year. 

So long as we get the results with who we have that we are right now... i refuse to support that.

my two pennies worth

I'm much in the same boat you are.

By not coming to the games you only hurt the program. Fan support and attendance are essential. Recruits can not help but look at the sories on Sunday morning and see the schools drawing 30,000 up and those who can not average 20,000. Which teams would you want to play for?

From time to time I see where music students are given a bad rap on this board. Last night I sat at the table with two former members (class of 200) of theGreen Brigade who not only attend the games but joined the Mean Green Club.

I graduated in the winter of 04 and I am a first year MGC member. I did this after the worst season that the team has had since me following them and the reason why I did this is because the money is needed now. If people wait until our team gets to their approvement this thing is just going to get worse. If you have the money, I beg you to use it to support the school, your school. Please!

Yes rcade, we are up over 700 members now as opposed to around 50 in '99. As I sat talking to many alumni after the game last night I kept asking if we have not returned to 1999? Everyone within earshot reminded me that we are lightyears ahead now than back then overall as a program. If anything else, Stockstill has proven to everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt what a coaching turnaround can do for a program. If there are changes down the road they will have much more to work with as a program than what DD inherited in '98.

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

Rick, I've heard that old complaint that Dickey inherited a bare cupboard from Simon when he came here. Admittedly, Matt Simon pretty much quit on the 98 recruiting class when he found out that he was being replaced. But there were some pretty decent players that Dickey opened with:

Hut Allred

Phillip Armour

John Baker

Scott Blank

Lawrence Ellis

Brad Kassell

Phillip Littlejohn

Andy Lott

Jarrod Martin

Brod McGrew

Corbin Montgomery

Heath Moody

Ron Paris

Vince Patterson

The Pertile brothers

Andre Phillips

Jeff Rodgers

Brian Waters

Ja'Quay Wilburn

Brad Winn

Detrion Woodson

What Darrell did not get was a first class quarterback. The three quarterbacks from that year were Jason Attaway, Richard Bridges and LaDarrin McLane.

Probably Shane York would have been on that list had he not had his unfortunate accident.

So I never did buy the "woe is me, look at the poor quality of players that I inherited" bit.

I will not give my money (and it isn't much as a recent grad) away to something I don't support. And I don't support Darrel Dickey nor the product on the field I am seeing. I will only support this athletic department when I see that they raise the standard for success. Until then, I will put my money in other places. I will act when I see our athletic officials act.

And I don't mean that I will give once I see success. I will give when I see that they won't give a tenure to some coach who doesn't deserve it. that I see an effort on their part to bring in some quality coach in here.

Edited by Travis

I will not give my money (and it isn't much as a recent grad) away to something I don't support.  And I don't support Darrel Dickey nor the product on the field I am seeing.  I will only support this athletic department when I see that they raise the standard for success.  Until then, I will put my money in other places.  I will act when I see our athletic officials act.

You should write to the Athletic Department to tell them that. If you just never give to the program, it doesn't do any good. Tell them that you would like to help out, but are unwilling to help out under the current circumstances. Make sure to CC Dr. Bataille on this email....

I will not give my money (and it isn't much as a recent grad) away to something I don't support.  And I don't support Darrel Dickey nor the product on the field I am seeing.  I will only support this athletic department when I see that they raise the standard for success.  Until then, I will put my money in other places.  I will act when I see our athletic officials act.

I could be mistaken, but I was of the opinion being a Mean Green Club member supported more than just football- it supports all our athletics.

They will break a $250 into nine payments.

Rick, I've heard that old complaint that Dickey inherited a bare cupboard from Simon when he came here.  Admittedly, Matt Simon pretty much quit on the 98 recruiting class when he found out that he was being replaced.  But there were some pretty decent players that Dickey opened with:

Hut Allred

Phillip Armour

John Baker

Scott Blank

Lawrence Ellis

Brad Kassell

Phillip Littlejohn

Andy Lott

Jarrod Martin

Brod McGrew

Corbin Montgomery

Heath Moody

Ron Paris

Vince Patterson

The Pertile brothers

Andre Phillips

Jeff Rodgers

Brian Waters

Ja'Quay Wilburn

Brad Winn

Detrion Woodson

What Darrell did not get was a first class quarterback.  The three quarterbacks from that year were Jason Attaway, Richard Bridges and LaDarrin McLane.

Probably Shane York would have been on that list had he not had his unfortunate accident.

So I never did buy the "woe is me, look at the poor quality of players that I inherited" bit.

If there are changes down the road they will have much more to work with as a program than what DD inherited in '98.

I didn't simply mean players only. I stated and meant the "PROGRAM", meaning Facilities, Fans, corporate sponsorships, a much more accessable (regionally speaking) conference, improved scheduling that is much more winnable, game day experience etc.

Rick

The AD is more likely to listen to the complaints of someone who gives $250 to the MGC or has Season Tix, than the person who doesn't.

If that is what they would like.

But, a good PR move ( I would think) would be to send a message to potential supporters as well.

By the way, for those who mentioned that the MGC pays for all the sports... I already know and understand that. But, the two sports I care most about and go see are men's BB and football. Those two are the ones that will be the only reason I give.

It is like this with anything. Take Lower Public School. If you think you kids school sucks, the worst thing to do is turn your back on it and ignore it. Instead if you get involved, volunteer, join the PTA with others that are unsatisfied, the higher ups will have to listen to your complaints and suggestions. In the Texas Public School system the better schools always have strong PTA involvment.

The same goes for University Athletics.

The more people involved in the MGC and Season Tix the stronger our voice and the more likely to make change.

Cowtown

Lily B Clayton PTA Board Member

PS I dont think my kids school sucks, it is one of FW's best. And our new principal is an NT Grad.

Edited by Cowtown

If that is what they would like. 

But,  a good PR move ( I would think) would be to send a message to potential supporters as well.

By the way, for those who mentioned that the MGC pays for all the sports... I already know and understand that.  But, the two sports I care most about and go see are men's BB and football.  Those two are the ones that will be the only reason I give.

On the other hand why cater to folks who don't give? Talk is hollow...they may not give even if you bow to their wishes.

As far as the only reason to give is the sports you care about, well....that's kinda sad frankly. Especially since with the low number of MGC members they're probably paying more for the "other" sports. Until we have thousands of members, we can't pour money into the 2 high profile sports.

So your aim sort of defeats itself.

But,  a good PR move ( I would think) would be to send a message to potential supporters as well.

You are exactly right. RV needs to treat each donor or potential donor with equal importance. Sure he should hobnob with those that give thousands of dollars each year. But don't ignore those potential customers that some day may be in position to give.

On the other hand why cater to folks who don't give?  Talk is hollow...they may not give even if you bow to their wishes.

As far as the only reason to give is the sports you care about, well....that's kinda sad frankly.  Especially since with the low number of MGC members they're probably paying more for the "other" sports.  Until we have thousands of members, we can't pour money into the 2 high profile sports.

So your aim sort of defeats itself.

All I know is I want to give money to a program that I know is trying to succeed. And when you have the leader of that program... say a head coach.. that is not succeeding, then we must place someone in there that will. And when that one doesn't work out, we get another. But, i am not going to give my power away to something that will not demand a certain excellence.

Travis,

I do not blame you at all. The equation seems pretty simple to me...the administration demonstrates a commitment to building a successful program, donations go up. They choose not to, donations go down. You are not saying that you will not give until the program has reached a certain level of success, you are merely stating that you need some assurance that that is the direction the program is headed. I have no problem with that.

Travis,

I do not blame you at all.  The equation seems pretty simple to me...the administration demonstrates a commitment to building a successful program, donations go up.  They choose not to, donations go down.  You are not saying that you will not give until the program has reached a certain level of success, you are merely stating that you need some assurance that that is the direction the program is headed.  I have no problem with that.

exactly. Just what i said... but, much much better.

All I know is I want to give money to a program that I know is trying to succeed. And when you have the leader of that program... say a head coach.. that is not succeeding, then we must place someone in there that will.  And when that one doesn't work out, we get another.  But, i am not going to give my power away to something that will not demand a certain excellence.

Donations fund ALL athletic programs, not just football.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Maybe a trust can be set up in which people can donate to with the athletic department or stadium fund as the donee, and it will only be given to athletic department after an event, such as the firing of Dickey or the capital campaign going public? If enough people cancelled their MGC donations and put that money into the trust, RV, Bobby Ray and whoever else would be forced to take seriously what the fans have to say.

I called Hank Dickenson this evening to find out where to send my money to join the Mean Green Club. The argument that you shouldn't join unless things improve is exactly backwards, in my opinion. There's no doubt in my mind that things at UNT are better with 700 boosters than they were with 50 when RV arrived. And they'll be better with 1,500 boosters than they are today.