Enough Already!

Eagle Man

RV, you nor anyone else will ever right this ship as long as Darrell Dickey and his OC are affliated with the UNT athletic program in any capacity. Sorry, just the truth. Thinking otherwise is just willful foolishness.

It does not take 12 years (of which Darrell has hogged most) to build a strong, competitive and respectable program.

We have wasted too many years going the wrong way. Change the course! Time is of the essence.

You can dress up Fouts, change the uniforms. initiate tailgating and improve the rhetoric and even put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

This is not rocket science, it's a people business RV, and you have the WRONG people in our business.

RV, as a investor in this program, I am very interested in reviewing your short, mid and long range goals for this program. I want to see the mission statement and study your action plan.

The University of North Texas deserves better and you know it.

Everybody PLEASE be honest here. You all know that we have some pretty good players.

Were our linemen getting blown off the ball every play? No.

Were our receivers getting past the defense backfield? Yes.

Did we look just totally outmatched yesterday? No.

I was not totally discouraged watching the game. I felt that for the most part we played four quarters. I remember games in the past (like Texas A&M at Texas Stadium, for instance) where we could play the first two quarters, but could not go four with them. Those days are over.

Unfortunately, we do not have a coaching staff that can accentuate our player/program development. DD and staff just do not know how to make in-game adjustments. They are HIGHLY outcoached. They do not know how to put together a gameplan vs. the likes of good OOC teams.

We are not out-manned...we are OUT-COACHED!!! mad.gif

We are not out-manned...we are OUT-COACHED!!! mad.gif

I feel good about our talent, but they have to rise above their coaching and become great.

I think we have, and have had the talent to be a mid-major but we have the coaching of an average D1aa team so we get an end result of a bottom ranked D1a team.

Why in the heck, in the 1st quarter did DD run it up the middle on third and goal?

Edited by KingDL1

RV, you nor anyone else will ever right this ship as long as Darrell Dickey and his OC are affliated with the UNT athletic program in any capacity. Sorry, just the truth. Thinking otherwise is just willful foolishness.

It does not take 12 years (of which Darrell has hogged most) to build a strong, competitive and respectable program.

We have wasted too many years going the wrong way. Change the course! Time is of the essence.

You can dress up Fouts, change the uniforms. initiate tailgating and improve the rhetoric and even put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

This is not rocket science, it's a people business RV, and you have the WRONG people in our business.

RV, as a investor in this program, I am very interested in reviewing your short, mid and long range goals for this program. I want to see the mission statement and study your action plan.

First of all, Eagle Man, welcome to the board. Second of all, are you a student or alumni?

If this is in part because of the blowout loss to texas:

This is from a team last year who blew out colorado 70-3. I don't care if Vince Young isn't there. Limas Sweed and their receivers are incredible, both lines on each side of the ball is arguably the best in the nation.

Secondly, I don't know that we could hire anyone better than RV for the money we're paying him. He's made a night and day difference here, and it's going to keep progressing.

Great post, but unfortunatly it won't change soon enough.

So let me get this straight, we did better than last time against a better Texas team, and your still mad?

So UNT didn't beat the defending national champs, its a little early to be out on the ledge. The same goes for next weeks game. Its pretty much an even up game between the Mean Green & the Ponies so a loss there however demoralizing isn't the end of the world.

If we have another complete meltdown in conference play then you can lynch the coaching staff.

Secondly, I don't know that we could hire anyone better than RV for the money we're paying him. He's made a night and day difference here, and it's going to keep progressing.

Pretty sure he's asking for a new coaching staff, not a new athletic director. RV has done a great job, but a coaching staff that plays to not lose starts to hinder his efforts.

If this is in part because of the blowout loss to texas:

Yes, it hard to find anyone descent to be a 1A AD for less than 175K. I keep hearing this agrument that "poor" NT can't afford anyone better, what a defeatest outlook. Number one there are plenty of people out there that could do a great job for less than what UNT pays, the problem is identifying them. Number two there is nothing that mandates that UNT cannot pay more.

Personally, I haven't been real vocal about dumping Dickey (yet), but I do think that we need to dump the system. We continue to try and play power ball when we are obviously only capable of recruiting "Sunbelt type" power players. Why can we not compete in most OOC games? I think it's because we haven't been able to match the power of most OOC teams! Sure we can play power ball in the Belt, but is winning the Belt our only goal? I don't think so.

I know it's not going to happen with Dickey/Flannigan at the helm, but I think that we currently have the personnel to run the spread offense. With Wilson at QB, a stable of fast and capable receivers, a fairly quick offensively line, and Jamario as the lone back, I think that we already have what it takes to run some version of the spread. Not only would it be easier to recruit quality players to fit the new system, but I bet the excitement of a wide open offense would put many more butts in the seats. Too bad that our personnel on the sidelines disagrees. But then again maybe winning the Belt is their only concern.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I was TRYING to be optimistic!!! biggrin.gif

OK, so they have better (in total) talent...but I still believe we have recruited better players then, say, 10 years ago, no!?!?! rolleyes.gif

I don't see much in the way of change. I don't have the listing by recruiting class but here is the list of lettermen in 1999. Most are from Matt Simon's last recruiting classes.

Chance Adair, Ramone Archie, Jason Attaway, John Baker, Jason Ball, Starsky Banks, Richard Bridges, Robert Conrad, Zeb Cornist, Garrett Courtney, Byron Curtis, Distin Dean, Brent DeGroot, Lawrence Ellis, Brian Futrell, Tony Gates, Derek Gordon, Gabe Haro, Jeff Harris, Darron Hester, Michael Hickmon, Aaron Holly, Nick Hoppe, Ty Jackson, Brad Kassell, Josh Kay, Marlon Lee, Andy Lott, Don McGee, Broderick McGrew, Chris McIver, LaDarrin McLane, Heath Moody, David Morgan, Jeff Muenchow, Ron Paris, Vince Patterson, Corry Pertile, Fred Pertile, J.R. Randle, Jeff Rodgers, Scott Rollins, Kendrick Sapp, Spencer Stack, Ron Sterling, Mike Thomas, Matt Turney, Justin Warren, Robert Whitehead, Ja'Quay Wilborn, Darrell Williams, Detrion Woodson

As you can see, there are a number of pretty quality players on that list. But, that team had the worst record of all of Dickey's teams until last year's 2-9 tied it.

I wanted to comment on this as well.  UT's team speed accounted for a lot of our woes yesterday.  And I'm not sure what play you call when the defense is parked in your backfield...perhaps someone more enlightened than I can explain it.

My complaint from watching the game late Saturday night, had to work Saturday, was that DD still tries to run too many delay and slow developing plays. This will never work against a team like UT, or any other team with the amount of speed they possessed. The lack of in-game adjustments, the unimaginative play-calling/system during the DD/RF era are ridiculous.

I remember a time when we played the defending National Champions and gave up 80+ points. Nobody thought that NT was going to stand toe-to-toe with Texas. No way. Take away 2 very bad plays and this game is 42-7. Give the ball to JT a little more and who knows. But why beat up your best player in a game that truthfully matters VERY little!