Where did you graduate high school ?

calvin

R.L TURNER

"POP THE TROJANS!"  laugh.gif

"BEAT SMITH!"  laugh.gif

laugh.gif Newman Smith HS in Carrollton, TX -- 1996. Cross-town rivals of RL Turner....my soph (or junior?) year we played (touting 0-9 records each) to a 10-10 tie in the last game of the season. Carrollton was not a football hotbed in my day! laugh.gif

Edited by TIgreen01

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screaming Eagle66, I hope the 66 refers to 1966, because that means you graduated one year before Vernon High School beat you and won the district and abi-district championships in football.  smile.gif  (My class!)

---I graduated from NT in 1966, Brownwood in 1962. Yep, yawl Red-River Lions messed things up in the fall of 1966... Bwd won state in 65, 67, 69, and 70....also in 60 when I was still in HS. Yawl were good but we got a bit unlucky in that one. We were rated in top 5 at the time. One excellent BWD starter broke his leg on opening kick off and on the first play another good starter broke his also. I think one was RB and the other a WR but I am not sure about that one.. Two plays-- two broken legs ---and they were they only ones I remember during the entire 1960's. I think the rest of the game, Bwd played shell-shocked. McKinney won state in 1966 but we defeated them in 1967. In 1970 we defeated Plano but they defeated us in 1971 with a field-goal with a couple of seconds left.

In the 1970's we had a lot of close unlucky losses. The worst ever was a Vernon/Brownwood playoff game in the late 70's when Brownwood scored on the final play and won.... so everyone thought. The ref declared the TD void and claimed the clock ran out. The film did not show that later. Vernon fans thought they had lost and Brownwood was celebrating but things changed after a minute or two. If it was a bad play--- the refs should have blown the whistle before we "scored" on a 20 yd play if we hadn't beaten the clock...they didn't. We lost another when the ref blew a call that gave WF Hirshe the win... the ref admitted publicly in a written statement later that he blew it when he misunderstood the safety rule and gave them them two undeserved points near the end... When the Bwd RB objected to the call, he was ejected making the situation worse. We lost by 1. We were rated #1 in the state, they were #2. Oh well, thing happen. Gainesville beat on a final game play also the semis one year when a Bwd kid lost the receiver that he was to cover.. We beat them in the state finals 1978 so we got a little revenge.....Brownwood wins a lot more than their share. These were won which each division only had one district representative and ONE state champion ....unlike today.. The starting QB of Miami Fla this year will be a Bwd grad. The current QB of TxTech is the son of a state-champion Bwd QB.

As stated earlier ..we really do not like to lose....which is true of most West-Texas schools.

Hello TI-Green-01... I did not know Carrolton had football teams... LOL...see you.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Sergio Kindle - #1 football recruit from the state of Texas this year- signed with UT.  He was recruited as a Linebacker but we're all hopeful he'll switch to running back and win the Heisman.

He won't if he plays LB like he practices. The UT wink.gif coaches love him down there.

laugh.gif Newman Smith HS in Carrollton, TX -- 1996.  Cross-town rivals of RL Turner....my soph (or junior?) year we played (touting 0-9 records each) to a 10-10 tie in the last game of the season.  Carrollton was not a football hotbed in my day!  laugh.gif

Both schools at the time were horrible. I believe there are a total of 4 Carrollton High Schools.

R.L Turner

Newman Smith

Creekview

Ranchview

Trevia Question: What famous rap singer attended R.L Turner in the 80's?

Trevia Question: What famous rap singer attended R.L Turner in the 80's?

Vanilla Ice

Robert Matthew Van Winkle or better known as Vanilla Ice!

"Van Winkle's image also began to falter. His claims that he had attended an all-black high school and led a crime-riddled life were revealed to be false, and had been manufactured to lend his image street credibility; he had actually attended R. L. Turner High School in Carrollton, Texas."

I personally don't listen to Rap but it sure does bring a lot of memories... cool.gif

This is intended for Zeke.

I was always told by my wife that Alvord's main claim to fame was an Actor named  Guinn "Big Boy" Williams. This web-site says that he's actually from Decatur.......and he also attended North Texas.

http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/bigboy.htm

An actor came out of Alvord huh? Wow. I figure the "most famous out of Alvord" category is still pretty wide open. I am lobbying hard to be just that person laugh.gif

laugh.gif Newman Smith HS in Carrollton, TX -- 1996.  Cross-town rivals of RL Turner....my soph (or junior?) year we played (touting 0-9 records each) to a 10-10 tie in the last game of the season.  Carrollton was not a football hotbed in my day!  laugh.gif

No offense, but back in the day when we were lollygagging in practice or taking it easy in off season workouts, our old football coach at Lewisville would yell at us to step it up and work harder by yelling...

"You gotta work hard to be a winner!. Heck, ANYBODY can be RL Turner!" laugh.gif

Denton High School 1978

I was a year after you.

THE Denton High School 1979

Back when Denton and Lewisville were in the same district and played eachother. They haven't played in about 20 years. Lewisville is 5A and Denton is 4A now.

No offense,  but back in the day when we were lollygagging in practice or taking it easy in off season workouts,  our old football coach at Lewisville would yell at us to step it up and work harder by yelling... 

"You gotta work hard to be a winner!.  Heck, ANYBODY can be RL Turner!"    laugh.gif

Who was it? Neal Wilson or Ronnie Gage?

I was a year after you.

THE Denton High School 1979

Back when Denton and Lewisville were in the same district and played eachother. They haven't played in about 20 years. Lewisville is 5A and Denton is 4A now.

I graduated in 86 and we never played Denton in the 4 years I played. I do remember that prior to 82 the Denton Record Chronicle sponsered the "Denton County Championship" between Lewisville and Denton every year with a traveling trophy and all. Denton and Lewisville were the only 5A schools in the county back then. My how things have changed.

Graduated Irving High, class of 1970, although my allegiance belongs to the Abilene High Eagles. We moved to Irving from Abilene the summer before my senior year in 1969. Abilene is where I discovered the joy that is FOOTBALL! Go EAGLES, BEAT cooper!!!

I did go to junior high with Jack Mildren and Randy Allen, now the HC at Highland Park. Also with a girl that became a Playmate and lived with Hugh Hefner for about a year right before Barbie Benton, I think, but I can't remember her name. Maybe Pam? She was a blonde with a crooked smile. I always thought it was funny that she went from Abilene to the Playboy mansion. We couldn't have dances back then because the churches had such a stranglehold on the town. We couldn't wear patent leather shoes because they reflected what was under our skirts, we couldn't wear pants, and no sandals because the sight of bare toes would turn the boys on!

Also, got to throw in a GO PANTHERS! for daughter. Colleyville Heritage, class of 1999.

GMG!

Woodrow Wilson High School in Dallas - Class of 1993

Famous Alumni

Davey O'Brien - Heisman Trophy Winner

Tim Brown - Heisman Trophy Winner

Trammel Crow - Real Estate/Business Tycoon (just wanted to say Tycoon)

Jerry Haynes - Mr. Peppermint

Carroll Shelby - Engineered the Shelby Mustang

Dusty and Rocky Hill - ZZ Top guys with beards

Former US Congress members

James Mattox

Sam Johnson

Sergio Kindle - #1 football recruit from the state of Texas this year- signed with UT.  He was in the Top 5 nationally.  He was recruited as a Linebacker but we're all hopeful he'll switch to running back and win the Heisman.

because there just aren't enough schools out there with 3 Heisman winners to their credit!

Graduated Irving High, class of 1970, although my allegiance belongs to the Abilene High Eagles.  We moved to Irving from Abilene the summer before my senior year in 1969.  Abilene is where I discovered the joy that is FOOTBALL!  Go EAGLES, BEAT cooper!!!

I did go to junior high with Jack Mildren and Randy Allen, now the HC at Highland Park.  Also with a girl that became a Playmate and lived with Hugh Hefner for about a year right before Barbie Benton, I think, but I can't remember her name.  Maybe Pam?  She was a blonde with a crooked smile.  I always thought it was funny that she went from Abilene to the Playboy mansion.  We couldn't have dances back then because the churches had such a stranglehold on the town.  We couldn't wear patent leather shoes because they reflected what was under our skirts, we couldn't wear pants, and no sandals because the sight of bare toes would turn the boys on!

Also, got to throw in a GO PANTHERS! for daughter.  Colleyville Heritage, class of 1999.

GMG!

Funny!! ---Abilene has three religion supported colleges with ACU being the most fanatic. I lived in Abilene one year (during the period that Abilene High went 45? games straight without losing). It is crazy that the super religious fanactics can come up with things that no normal person would ever think of.... like the shoe thing. It has always been my observation that kids the kids that go crazy after leaving home either come from: 1. families that give no supervision, or 2. families that try control everything a kid does.... I am in education. Those who have never lived in West-Texas don't understand how competitive football is out here. I suspect partly because there are fewer "entertainment" opportunities out here.

NT...recruit more West-Texans!!!! I grew up in Brownwood but have spent the last 35 years in Midland/Odessa. Both places love to compete and win.

When I was at NT, (mid 60's), girls could not wear pants on campus until after 4:00 PM. (the end of the work-day). Times have changed. The difference in 1965 and 1970 on college campuses was huge.---[civil rights, Viet Nam, womens rights, drugs, music, clothing, attitudes, etc] There were two 1960's... the early "Beachboy, bubblegum" 60's and the late "Steppenwolf, protest" 60's.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66