How big will the crowd be for SMU?

meangreen11

I have a little experience in selling out SMU at Fouts. If the athletic department doesn't work hard with advertising, etc. a sell out is not a guarantee. You just can't take anything for granted. Everyone pray for no rain that day. Should it sell out, yes. Will it sell out, yes, probably. One thing to note about this year's game vs. the game in '89 is the size of the SMU crowd to attend. I really don't think that they will bring very many people. Once again, it is up to NT to furnish the crowd, which it should since it is a home game.

I have a little experience in selling out SMU at Fouts.  If the athletic department doesn't work hard with advertising, etc. a sell out is not a guarantee.  You just can't take anything for granted.  Everyone pray for no rain that day. Should it sell out, yes.  Will it sell out, yes, probably.  One thing to note about this year's game vs. the game in '89 is the size of the SMU crowd to attend.  I really don't think that they will bring very many people.  Once again, it is up to NT to furnish the crowd, which it should since it is a home game.

drex, the single most factor that may bring more SMU fans to this Fall's game is for the fact that it is SMU's first game in the Metroplex. With that in mind, I do think they bring more fans this time around.

And the (almost) 23,000 in attendace at Fouts Field (which seated 20K at that time) with our win over SMU in 1990 was (in deed) the by-product of some of very hard, dilligent work on your behalf. I also agree with you that nothing can be taken for granted assuming a sellout for the 2006 game at Fouts Field, too.

I know I'm preaching to the choir...but if you're going to go...get there early!

It won't be like a normal game where you can find a parking spot. You're going to have to park across campus if you get there 30 min before game time. I remember hearing about complaints from the Baylor game..."I was in my car with my family of 4 and we drove around for xx minutes looking for a parking spot and couldn't find one...we just went home." Get there early people!

I know I'm preaching to the choir...but if you're going to go...get there early!

It won't be like a normal game where you can find a parking spot.  You're going to have to park across campus if you get there 30 min before game time.  I remember hearing about complaints from the Baylor game..."I was in my car with my family of 4 and we drove around for xx minutes looking for a parking spot and couldn't find one...we just went home."  Get there early people!

I'm not that worried. I'll be camped out on the practice fields the night before. tongue.gif

I'm going to call the Chamber of Commerce right now and get them going on a promotion. Because we might not get great press after the Texas game, it's important we sell out the game before Sept. 2 (the date of the Texas game the week before).

Therefore, I'm calling on all my NT friends to buy season tickets when the mailer goes out and plan to be there. It doesn't matter that there might be a conflict that you don't even know about now-BUY SEASON TICKETS. This is the easiest and most sure way to have a sell out when SMWho comes to town.

As I've said before...

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy season tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

I'm going to call the Chamber of Commerce right now and get them going on a promotion.  Because we might not get great press after the Texas game, it's important we sell out the game before Sept. 2 (the date of the Texas game the week before). 

Therefore, I'm calling on all my NT friends to buy season tickets when the mailer goes out and plan to be there.  It doesn't matter that there might be a conflict that you don't even know about now-BUY SEASON TICKETS.  This is the easiest and most sure way to have a sell out when SMWho comes to town. 

As I've said before...

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy season tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Doubt that you could sell the game out before the Texas game, considering I am sure the Baylor game in 2003 had a huge walkup crowd buy tickets before the game.

Right now, if you pass by the big matrix board on I-35 they already have the game on their as one of the cycling messages.

It won't be like a normal game where you can find a parking spot.  You're going to have to park across campus if you get there 30 min before game time.  I remember hearing about complaints from the Baylor game..."I was in my car with my family of 4 and we drove around for xx minutes looking for a parking spot and couldn't find one...we just went home."  Get there early people!

My wife and I were at the Baylor game...came at least 30 minutes early and had to park across the campus and walk. The parking lots along the way were full. When leaving we had to walk in the street because cars were parked on the side and over the sidewalk. Almost got ran over by a car on the street in the darkness.

The man sitting next to me in the stands at the next game ( an elderly man) had a big scab on his elbow and arm where he had stepped into a pot hole on the street and fallen while walking back to his car after the game.

GO EARLY FOR THIS GAME

There is absolutely no way that we won't break the Baylor record come SMU. Think about, UNT's first home game.... SMU's first game in metroplex... metroplex rivalry pending this game and relevent game for Dentonites to come watch. The game will be packed, 31,000 maybe 32,000 easy!

also, i am ready for some Jamario one shoe 70 yard runs in that game.

i can already smell the air on the fateful september eve.

GLORIOUS!!!!

My wife and I were at the Baylor game...came at least 30 minutes early and had to park across the campus and walk.  The parking lots along the way were full.  When leaving we had to walk in the street because cars were parked on the side and over the sidewalk.  Almost got ran over by a car on the street in the darkness.

The man sitting next to me in the stands at the next game ( an elderly man) had a big scab on his elbow and arm where he had stepped into a pot hole on the street and fallen while walking back to his car after the game.

GO EARLY FOR THIS GAME

And when you do, come over to the Greenbackers tent area to get warmly greeted, fed, and......hydrated. cool.gif

We won't beat BU 2003....they brought more fans that day than SMU could dream to bring.  Couple that with us coming off a bowl win for BU compared to a 2-9 finish last year.  I think 25k would be a nice crowd.  Now...if we give UT a competitive game....all bets are off.

keep in mind this is the first time these metroplex rivals have played in, what 15ish years? Hard to say. SMU thinks they will have a break-out year next year. And who can blame them? they finished 2005 pretty nicely. remained competitive in most games (sans a disaster in Collie Station), including Tulsa and beating Houston. Oh yeah, and that whole TCU thing...

Look for the place to be packed. I'll be there, and I will punch my SMU attending brother in the stomach for every point they score on us. For his sake, I hope our defense has a banner year...

keep in mind this is the first time these metroplex rivals have played in, what 15ish years? Hard to say. SMU thinks they will have a break-out year next year. And who can blame them? they finished 2005 pretty nicely. remained competitive in most games (sans a disaster in Collie Station), including Tulsa and beating Houston. Oh yeah, and that whole TCU thing...

Look for the place to be packed. I'll be there, and I will punch my SMU attending brother in the stomach for every point they score on us. For his sake, I hope our defense has a banner year...

Just curious....to anyone who attended the last SMU game at Fouts, how many fans did SMU bring? I had the misfortune of attending 2 SMU games in the last 2 years (one where the alum who invited us and provide free tickets no showed and last year's BU-SMU game (wife is a BU alum)). I don't care how "excited" you think SMU is, they simply do not show up to support their team at Ford....let alone drive to the dregs of Denton, nearly 45 minutes away.

SMU does not turn out for their games but much of that has been that no one cares about the opponents as they were in the WAC and now even the private school laden CUSA doesn't lend to many big rivals.

Many of us on the UNT side have SMU alums amongst their friends and family. My wife went to SMU and will invite many of her friends that went there. I have a friend that went there who is going with me. There is a multiplier effect because we all come in contact with each other. That alone will increase their numbers.

The other thing is they have been playing some good ball and have improved their product which will help their numbers as well.

Last but not least both teams will benefit from the fact it is being played so early in the season. That early optimisim will help attendance as well.

I attended the Baylor-SMU game last year and there were more Bear fans than Mustang fans in my opinion. The place was no where near full and the published attendance was clearly inflated. I was surprised given the long history between the two schools from SWC days and the fact that it was the first game of the year. I doubt that more than 2000 SMU students were in attendance including those on the field.

We won't beat BU 2003....they brought more fans that day than SMU could dream to bring.  Couple that with us coming off a bowl win for BU compared to a 2-9 finish last year.  I think 25k would be a nice crowd.  Now...if we give UT a competitive game....all bets are off.

And what if.............SMU beats Tech the week before? They nearly pulled it off in '04 and there was a bit of a brew ha at the end between the two coaches. I think Tech passed the ball at the last minute to punch in an extra score in which SMU took offense to. I can imagine SMU has had their rematch circled and will be looking for an upset. If that happens their supporters will show up well in Denton.

Just curious....to anyone who attended the last SMU game at Fouts, how many fans did SMU bring?

I was there and still have a copy of that game somewhere? Forest Gregg was their coach and they were just in their second year back from the death penalty and the SMU faithful were excited to see the Pony Express return. Considering that they had beaten us 35-9 the year before at SMU, we stood as their best chance to get back on track after two straight losses the previous weeks to TCU and Tulane. The estimated crowd was 23,000 but there was much more than that as people were having to be asked on both sides of the stadium to clear aisles and walk ways. There were some arrests on the student side as well due to problems resulting from overcrowding. SMU brought a decent crowd with them that night and if I were to guess I would say between 4,000 to 6,000.

Rick