If UNT Schedules a 12'th Game for 2006 FB Season

PlummMeanGreen

We need to schedule a Regional 1-AA opponent, if we schedule a 1-A regional we might have a repeat of Tulsa and La. Tech from this year, and another SMU type game that looks very probable this season, basically we do not need to hinder our recruiting anymore than it already is after the beatings this year.

If we can schedule a regional home game, our attendance gets a boost. See Baylor, Tulsa). I'm convinced that part of our attendance issues stem from the casual fan not caring about the Sun Belt Teams we bring in, so you only get the true fans for those games. Give us someone local or high profile, and we'll get our attendance numbers WAY UP.

GMG!!!

We need to schedule a Regional 1-AA opponent, if we schedule a 1-A regional we might have a repeat of Tulsa and La. Tech from this year, and another SMU type game that looks very probable this season, basically we do not need to hinder our recruiting anymore than it already is after the beatings this year.

If you schedule a I-AA, that is exactly what you better do, win... If you lose and you really look bad. Other than perhaps Texas State (who will eventually become I-AA in my opinion) stay away from them. We need I-A games to improve our image with the media and in sports fans "minds".

Doubt that many know this but Texas State is the college that we have played the most games with.....39 games..............29 wins, 7 loses and 3 ties. We have played NMSU 33 times.

The only teams that we have defeated 20 or more times is Texas State (29) , S.F. Austin (22), and NMSU (22). The only team we have lost 20 or more games to is SMU (27).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

If you schedule a I-AA, that is exactly what you better do, win... If you lose and you really look bad.  Other than perhaps Texas State (who will eventually become I-AA in my opinion) stay away from them.  We need I-A games to improve our image with the media and in sports fans "minds". 

Doubt that many know this but Texas State is the  college that we have played the most games with.....39 games..............29 wins, 7 loses and 3 ties. We have played NMSU 33 times.

The only teams that we have defeated 20 or more times is Texas State (29) , S.F. Austin (22), and NMSU (22).  The only team we have lost 20 or more games to is SMU (27).

Texas State is already D-IAA, I think you meant to say D-I.

Your thoughts or recommendations on this subject?  smile.gif

UNT needs an early home game with a team that they have a very good chance to beat. D-I, I-AA or D-II , it doesn't matter as long as it's a school that local fans reconize , give fans and students something that will bring them back for more.

UNT needs an early home game with a team that they have a very good chance to beat. D-I, I-AA or D-II , it doesn't matter as long as it's a school that local fans reconize , give fans and students something that will bring them back for more.

I agree except I would have thought playing some of the worst teams in Football this season we would have been the ticket. If you have a total no name bottom D1AA team no one has heard of it won't really help if we win and if we lose it will destroy us. You know some coaches always play to win and won't know they are supposed to lose to UNT.

That said, and with my faith in DD I would say don't schedule a twelfth game as long as DD is here to embarrass us. Does anyone really think we will have a .500 or better season next year. The Sky is about to fall, the problem is some can see the signs before it happens and others refuse to look up until the sky falls around them.

Edited by KingDL1

well if we are going to have a showing like we have been, why not schedule A&M. That way if/when we get beat, at least we can say, "well its A&M" and everyone can still feel good about themselves because they finished 5-6 last year to our 2-9. Plus, I just read in the Chronicle that Troy backed out of their game with them to play Nebraska next season. so lets load up the wagon and head down to collie station and see how good that option run game is against the mean green, or if not, at least we'll make some green and play our body bag game in-state and we can all go watch it

A&M would be great. Don't schedule a big $ game such as a top 15 team but something that could be respectable. Such as this year would have been great to have the following:

A&M

OKState

Baylor

TCU

A name school that is not that dominant (such as a LSU,UT,etc.)

yes our chances of winning are 5-10% but it gets recruits to see that hey we will play with the big boys every year. I think we had a great schedule this year it just so happened that we were on a downturn. It will get better!

considering how bad this team has been with OOC games and the fact that I don't think next year is going to be really any better I would say schedule another money game. Chances are if we were to play another one of those regional schools, it would probably be on the road, and all of them(maybe minus Rice) could and probably would beat us. At least if you play a money game you at least get a pay check and get beat by a team that you should lose to.

A&M would be great. Don't schedule a big $ game such as a top 15 team but something that could be respectable. Such as this year would have been great to have the following:

A&M

OKState

Baylor

TCU

A name school that is not that dominant (such as a LSU,UT,etc.)

yes our chances of winning are 5-10% but it gets recruits to see that hey we will play with the big boys every year. I think we had a great schedule this year it just so happened that we were on a downturn. It will get better!

I know A&M is down, but they destroyed a superior (to us!) SMU as they came off a huge win. Imagine our defense trying to contain a double threat QB - they'd have run up 600 yards easy, probably 400 of those on the ground (and we'd have to deal with self inflated "Aggie superiority" and looking down on us) for years. And yes, I know TSU played A&M close after a freak hurricane eve game with half a stadium with a team mostly worried about their family and friends in Houston, but do you see us ever getting a shot like that?

I would set the sites lower - OSU is an intriguing match up that could grow into something. They were willing to go with SMU for a few years so why not us?

I think we should play a regional team. While this does pose some risks (i.e. recruiting if we lose bigtime), I think the payout is worth it because

1. Regional media coverage. If we create a game like the "Red River Shootout" although on a smaller scale, we can garner media attention - make the whole thing one giant party and contest, encourage student government from each school to make bets on the winner (kinda like mayors of Super Bowl teams do), really drum up student support.

2. Attendance. It's easy for regional fans to travel to home and home games. Even if we agree to play the games on a neutral field (which I don't think is necessary), we can draw large numbers that will improve our attendance records significantly.

3. Rivalry. Students always get excited about rivalry games. If we can create a rivalry, we can increase student support. And that's always a good thing.

i see no benefit at all in playing a 1AA game. if we win, we were supposed to. if we lose, we are a laughing stock. i don't see where the benefit comes from. if we beat the team 79-0, people will say "oh well there a 1AA team"....i just don't see the benefit in it....regional game like TCU is where my money would be

i see no benefit at all in playing a 1AA game.  if we win, we were supposed to.  if we lose, we are a laughing stock.  i don't see where the benefit comes from.  if we beat the team 79-0, people will say "oh well there a 1AA team"....i just don't see the benefit in it....

*ding ding ding*

TSU - they would bring a ton of fans and a serious rivalry could develop with the high flying bobcats. Imagine how nice it would be to separate ourselves and throw them back in their place. I bet you we would have 20,000 show up for that game and if it is early 25,000.

Next up SHSU - still a good crowd.

When in doubt - good ole Abilene Christian. I remember them always bringing a good crowd in our 1AA days and we always seem to win too!

We are not ready to be thumped by UTEP or UH right now. We are already going to take our lumps against SMU and Lost Tech next season. Don't even get me going on that powerhouse Tulsa. Unbelievable how low my expectations have fallen.

GMG