NT brunt of Joke..

NT91

I just had a co-worker ask why I have a NT screensaver? He also wanted to know why I like NT so much. He said that most people think that "UNT is a joke" and other people that have gone to UNT are not that passionate about the university. I told him why should I feel any different about NT than someone that went to Texas, or Oklahoma.. He just walked off.

Edited by NT91

I just had a co-worker ask why I have a NT screensaver? He also wanted to know why I like NT so much. He said that most people think that "UNT is a joke" and other people that have gone to UNT are not that passionate about the university.  I told him why should I fell any different about NT than someone that went to Texas, or Oklahoma.. He just walked off.

It's all about image. First, is he talking about the school in general or the football team or which criteria? Is Penn State a great school...in accounting? How about Western Kentucky...would they be a "joke" too if you had their screensaver up?

Everyone has co-workers that say the same about not only UNT but any school they don't think measures up to their "image" of a successful school or team. Usually I just assume they are saying "UNT is misunderstood" then try to educate them on the good points. But I raze others when their school does poorly in sports too so it all goes around. We just need to win some OOC games and get some respect around here!! biggrin.gif

Edited by NT80

Keep the faith there NT 91. The kid down the street, age 9, told me that anybody can get into UNT and when we were playing football on the xbox I was kicking his but running JMo up and down the field. Then he looked at me in all seriousness and asked "Do you think Jamario is happy with his decision to play for North Texas?" Then he told me that he would have been better if he played for Texas.

Well his parents are on the upscale side with money and have given him a snotty attitude. He said "My mom got admitted to UT". His parents didnt even go to college and he came out with this attitude. OH boy.

He will attend the Troy game with me and if we dont win I will never hear the end of it.

shutter

Balance that with this:

Today I was buying running shoes when the attendant, a local college athlete, said how nice the stadium was at North Texas. After i pulled my jaw up off the floor, I realized he meant the track. I can see that, I ran 5 my ass off in that old stadium. Seriously, my ass is gone. Tulsa's offense did hand it back to me a few days ago, though. But i digress...

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

Edited by EagleD

It's all about image.  First, is he talking about the school in general or the football team or which criteria?  Is Penn State a great school...in accounting?  How about Western Kentucky...would they be a "joke" too if you had their screensaver up? 

Everyone has co-workers that say the same about not only UNT but any school they don't think measures up to their "image" of a successful school or team.  Usually I just assume they are saying "UNT is misunderstood" then try to educate them on the good points.  But I raze others when their school does poorly in sports too so it all goes around.  We just need to win some OOC games and get some respect around here!!  biggrin.gif

He was talking about the university not the football team. He graduated from Arkansas.

This is exactly why I went out and bought a copy of the USA Today that we made the cover of last August. Just leave that puppy on your desk and shove it in people's faces from time to time to remind them that their school didn't make the cut.

Seriously, don't take crap off of anyone. You went to North Texas. Be proud of it.

I just had a co-worker ask why I have a NT screensaver? He also wanted to know why I like NT so much. He said that most people think that "UNT is a joke" and other people that have gone to UNT are not that passionate about the university.  I told him why should I feel any different about NT than someone that went to Texas, or Oklahoma.. He just walked off.

Good response....

Tell your co-worker to write down the names of all those who think UNT is a joke and have them write a list with 3 valid reasons as to why they feel that way; then see how quickly his list will probably get shorter than he anitcipated. rolleyes.gif

You might also offer that it is also most satisfying to be part of something on the grow and on the go. Then invite him to the Troy U game (televised nationally) and a chance to see the Mean Green and some exciting history from our past with ex NT coach Hayden Fry and his 1975 football team celebrating the 30'th anniversary of their win over the, uh, UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS! (Then tell him: "Pretty funny stuff, eh)?" smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I just had a co-worker ask why I have a NT screensaver? He also wanted to know why I like NT so much. He said that most people think that "UNT is a joke" and other people that have gone to UNT are not that passionate about the university.  I told him why should I feel any different about NT than someone that went to Texas, or Oklahoma.. He just walked off.

Tell him this story.

I am both a UNT and UT alum. I grew up in Austin and started going to Memorial Stadium as soon as I could walk and have probably seen at least 60 UT games in person. But, North Texas is my REAL school as far as I am concerned, though I could sit in Memorial Stadium all I want.

Unfortunately, I find UT ball BORING and would much rather cheer for the Mean Green than a semi-pro team that has all the advantages on earth and more money than we can even dream of. At least, when North Texas achieves something on the field it is through meeting a challenge and making do with scarce resources. When UT achieves something, it is simply the result of the fact that if you spend enough, long enough, something good will eventually happen. Where is the challenge and joy in that?

Unfortunately, I find UT ball BORING and would much rather cheer for the Mean Green than a semi-pro team that has all the advantages on earth and more money than we can even dream of. At least, when North Texas achieves something on the field it is through meeting a challenge and making do with scarce resources. When UT achieves something, it is simply the result of the fact that if you spend enough, long enough, something good will eventually happen. Where is the challenge and joy in that?

I guess you don't watch much D-1 football, then. sad.gif

Nothing wrong w/cheering for the underdog. I'm sure you're using UT as a representative of all big-school, big-donor, big-time athletics, right? tongue.gif

Hopefully, when UNT gets to that level of success--and it will take big-donor, big-time support, with big money--you will still feel the same way. wink.gif

Eagle D

Put something in his mouth to shut him up. I'd do it, but my zipper is stuck laugh.gif

BTW eleazar - love the avatar of ShoNuff! A great B movie icon who doesn't get the respect he deserves, "Why don't I sit down and do what...why don't you come down here and make me sit down and shut up...why don't any 50 of you come down here and make me shut up!" I truly admire that man, whupped 50 people in a movie theater!

user posted image

Have this on your screen saver and the next time he walks by point to it and mention, "Looky there, you must not speak for everyone else after all?!".

Rick

What a photograph & what a memory. cool.gif

Are all those thousands on the football field and in the stands in this photo all trading jokes about NORTH TEXAS or what?!?!?!? biggrin.gif

By all means, if your co-worker comes back with more of that same ol' "UNT is a joke" stuff, do like AV posted and just pee on his leg! Then tell him all of us at NT do have a sorta' British dry sense of humor. unsure.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I guess you don't watch much D-1 football, then.   sad.gif

Nothing wrong w/cheering for the underdog.  I'm sure you're using UT as a representative of all big-school, big-donor, big-time athletics, right?   tongue.gif

Hopefully, when UNT gets to that level of success--and it will take big-donor, big-time support, with big money--you will still feel the same way.   wink.gif

During the 60's my High School band would go to the North Texas homecoming games every year, so my first D-1 experience was watching North Texas football. At approximately the same time in the 60's, my step-father's boss would occasionally give him his TCU tickets, which would get passed down to me and my friends.

I saw the Norm Buliaches (sp), Ross Montmogerys, James Streets, Chris Gilberts, Steve Worsters, and Ted Koys of the SWC play. When I went to North Texas games I got to watch the Bobbie Smiths, the Carl (Spider) Lockharts, John Loves, Steve Ramseys, Ron Shanklins and Joe Greenes of the MVC play. While I thought that the 68 Texas team was very talented in the RB department, overall I found North Texas football to be the equal (with the possible exception of Texas) of most SWC teams of that era.....and much more fun to watch.

People still talk about what a great coach Darrell Royal is. Years ago I observed that considering the resources at his disposal (money, facilities and having the "pick of the litter" of Texas High School talent) DKR was really a pretty average coach.

Just imagine what sort of teams Hayden Fry could have put together if he had coached at Texas with the same resources at his disposal. ohmy.gif

To me, it's not just about pulling for the underdog, it's watching a team (or teams) do the most with limited resources. Those are the players, and teams, that are truely doing it for the love of the game.

They are the ones that REALLY deserve the support of their alumni/students. wink.gif

ANYONE can buy a t-shirt and jump on the bandwagon......like most Texas fans do. North Texas fans are REAL FANS. wink.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

Any person from Arkansas or who graduated from a college in Arkansas has absolutely no business looking down their nose at anybody from the whole state of Texas.

Have you ever been to Arkansas? I have, and it is pretty damn pathetic. His attitude fits my theory of the proud, but insecure hillbilly mentality that has festered for centeries in places like Arkansas, Missouri and Appalachia. That is why he lashes out at people like you. He envies you and the only thing he has to hang his hat on is Sooey Pig football crap.

During the 60's my High School band would go to the North Texas homecoming games every year, so my first D-1 experience was watching North Texas football.

So was mine. In the 70's though. And sometimes we'd eat at the McDonald's across from "Gibson's", and near "Buddies". When it had the "flying worm" helmet light fixtures. I always wondered what it would be like to play football there.

People still talk about what a great coach Darrell Royal is. Years ago I observed that considering the resources at his disposal (money, facilities and having the "pick of the litter" of Texas High School talent) DKR was really a pretty average coach.

He won 3 NC's in an 8 year span. He introduced the Wishbone. He never had a losing season in 20 years. He was not a "pretty average" coach by anyone's standards--even Texas'

To me, the it's not just about pulling for the underdog, it's watching a team (or teams) do the most with limited resources. Those are the players, and teams, that are truely doing it for the love of the game.

I find that comment ridiculous, but to each his own. tongue.gif Again: If UNT and donors spend the money for upgraded facilities, coaches salaries, etc., and begin to win and be competitive at a BCS level--will you still support them, or will they no longer be competing for the "love of the game", in your opinion? smile.gif

ANYONE can buy a t-shirt and jump on the bandwagon......like most Texas fans do. North Texas fans are REAL FANS.  wink.gif

All teams have their share of nutjobs, but go ahead and insult Texas again. wink.gif

Yes. I'm sure ALL UNT fans are REAL FANS. rolleyes.gif I grew up in Denton County, and spent most of my high school hangout days in Denton. And lived there. And was born at Flow back when it was a hospital. But I am an alum of Texas. Am I a REAL Texas fan? Can I be a UNT fan too? A REAL one?? laugh.gif

Anyway, my apologies for taking this thread OT. laugh.gif

I grew up in Denton County, and spent most of my high school hangout days in Denton.  And lived there.  And was born at Flow back when it was a hospital.  But I am an alum of Texas.  Am I a REAL Texas fan?  Can I be a UNT fan too?  A REAL one??  laugh.gif

The answer is no. You made your decision when you went to UT. Back in the 60's Texas adopted Slippery Rock as their "pet" school to pull for. It was the "in" thing to do. And while the UT fans found it whimsical and cool, I found it insulting to Slippery Rock.

You can claim that you are a North Texas fan, but North Texas is NOT anyone's "pet" school.