Ok, RV - if you are reading this..

stebo

We are 0-1 without tortillas. The two old bags working our row for the Tulsa game threatened to have us ARRESTED if we threw a tortilla at the Tulsa game. She then went and got a freaking cop to come over and scare us into submission. I realize that the torts are probably a pain in the ass to clean up. But we have people in our group that come out for the festivities associated with the game ratehr then the actual football (I am not one of those but there are several women and children in our group that are).. they are more interested in the surrounding events - tailgating, throwing tortillas, drinking cold beer, and looking at pretty people, lol... please do not take away some of the fun from the game. Right now everyone needs to relax, chill out, and enjoy the games... please rescind the tortilla ban, the kids love it. The day that we get a penalty for throwing a tortilla onto the field then I will agree that we should drop the tradition. But as far as I know, we have never even gotten a warning from the refs. What gives?

Hopefully "Glad to be Green" will be replying to this post soon.

Edited by stebo

I saw one guy smuggling a huge bag or tortillas in on the student side. Somebody tossed this guy the bag after he got in without it. He then proceeded to stick it down his pant leg. HILARIOUS!

Come to think of it, poor guy never got to use it. Unless he threw them during the safety. unsure.gif

Edited by Stan R

I guess you knew that before kickoff they were confiscating seat cushions. That's right, little old ladies had to go back to their car and leave their seat cushions. Some were literally confiscated until an announcement that it was OK to have seat cushions. No umbrellas with few ponchos at the souvenir stand, no seat cushions, no bringing tortillas, no taking cokes into the Ben E. Keith pavilion....man isn't this fun?

Guest JohnDenver

What's the policy at the other BCS schools? I'd be willing to bet it is similar.

We aren't BCS. We are a family friendly program that has a Junior MGC.

I have been all around the non-BCS world and haven't seen anyone saying seat cushions are to be confiscated.

Nor have I seen (though I am not doubting it happens) that people would get ARRESTED for throwing a corn disc. Kicked out? Yes. Arrested? Oi.

Hell, my party got the same treatment last year for (essentially) yelling toward the field with our displeasure at the FAU-game play calling. Some AD sideline dude pointed and said "one more time and you are out." Then the yellow shirted people came, then the police... then it was just a mess and everyone was unhappy with everyone.

I bet the police could be used in a more useful way than watching over the likes of Stebo and me.

I guess you knew that before kickoff they were confiscating seat cushions.  That's right, little old ladies had to go back to their car and leave their seat cushions.  Some were literally confiscated until an announcement that it was OK to have seat cushions.  No umbrellas with few ponchos at the souvenir stand, no seat cushions, no bringing tortillas, no taking cokes into the Ben E. Keith pavilion....man isn't this fun?

I ran into the thing with the seat cushions as well. Fortunately, RV was standing right there and took care of that issue.

As for the umbrellas, that is an NCAA rule as of last year or two years ago.

I ran into the thing with the seat cushions as well.  Fortunately, RV was standing right there and took care of that issue.

As for the umbrellas, that is an NCAA rule as of last year or two years ago.

RV shouldn't have to take care of this issue as people are arriving. They need to get their act together long before then.

Come on Rick V. lets get this straight. This is a no brainer. Nobody likes hall moiniters. And what's up with the cop thing. Maybe they will arrest my 3 yr old. Or maybe I will stop coming to the games. I get so pi$$ed when I hear these stories. Tortillas are part of the culture! Its like a draw play. You look forward to it.

What's the policy at the other BCS schools? I'd be willing to bet it is similar.

Went to the OU-TCU game. No seat cushions allowed in at the Sooner games; they'll rent 'em to ya for $5.

I guess I can see this in a broad, general public safety kind of way. Sadly, I thinks its a post-9/11 thing because I think I remember people going into OU's field with their own seat cushions back for the 1991 UNT-OU game.

This year we paid for the athletics department seat cushions. They are the bomb. You should consider that. It does stink that they made it harder than it needed to be for everyone to bring there own. But, we went to the KSU game, and they have sold a ton of the semi perminant seat cushion. It really made the stadium look purple before the croud filled the seats. I bet that brings in a lot of $$$ for their program.

I believe I did take my seats into the stadium at OU 2 years ago.

However at Memorial Stadium in Little Rock you had to check them in and pick them backup after the game.

Hooray for no umbrellas. They only blocked the veiew of those sitting behind and hit the people in front in the head. Panchos are the only sway to go.

The tortillas are a nuisance as the little kids keep darting in and out to pick them up in order to retrow them. It is distraqcting for those wanting to watch the game. I only took my kinds to games when they were old enough to sit and watch.

Just my 2 cents worth.

GO MEAN GREEN

YA'LL JOIN ME FOR THE TROY GAME

We have 18 season tickets in our group and I am constantly trying to get more people to join. Believe it or not that many new fans I talk in to going get sold with the tortillas. Not only do the our ticket holders get in to the tortillas tossing, and all the people around our group in the stands, also the people I get to fill in when a season ticket holder is out of town. When our normal ticket-holders can't make it the people I get to show in their place get the whole sales package about the game and the tailgating, but the whole atmosphere tortillas included seal the deal

Holy cow when we score it looks pretty cool!

Come to the game, do a little tailgating, watch the game and toss some tortillas it has more appeal then I would have ever thought. Not to mention the kids, they love it, and folks, if the kids enjoy being there it is easier for the parents to bring them. And the Kids count as butts in seats toward attendance.

I know that the Tortillas in our section do nothing but strengthen the spirit of the fans around us. Last year and this as soon as we show up people of all ages start asking us if we brought out tortillas and we start handing them out. Everyone in our section asks their neighbors if they need some and they start passing them out. By the end of last season over half the people had there own. It is crazy watching sixty and seventy year old fans both men and women go wild tossing tortillas.

People have all kinds of reasons to go to football games; the game itself, the atmosphere, school pride, a social event, etc.. So don't get worked about the tortillas, just realize to many it is a way to express spirit and joy. And guess what those fans will be there at the next home game.

Not to piss anyone off, because I know all of you here are diehard Mean Green fans, but here's a way around the seat cusion scene. Stand up, unless you have a medical condition that doesnt allow for standing the entire game. We ere standing in the alum section, and one of the french people (yellow shirts) came and told us to sit down. We just glared at her, sat down, but then stood right back up after she walked off. tongue.gif

The tortillas, I know some of you like them, but they are just stupid. Its a cheap ripoff of ttu. If we want to rip them off, lets take their offense instead, at least thats useful.

I took my stadium seat to the OU game and to Baylor, no problem. I also have taken it to every game at Fouts for the last three years. We bought the seat backs this year. They are much more comfortable. I have to have some kind of back support.

I like the tortillas, but they put Bruno the Bouncer in front of our section to keep us intimidated! People were throwing them by him occasionally and he didn't even see most of them, just glared up into the stands.

See you Tuesday.

GMG!

There is a simple solution to this, and it is mathematical:

Take # of fans who would not come to the games if tortillas are kept and compare against # of fans who would not come to games if tortillas are banned.

Whichever decision removes the least amount of fans in attendance should be the one made. huh.gif

People shouldn't throw things a public events.

Universities shouldn't rip off other schools traditions.

Throwing tortillas is racist in orgin, as Tech did to insult hispanic teams.

Try not to post such BS.

Don't play a race card on tortillas it is simply not true.

Most traditions are rip offs, fights songs, mascots, you name it. We better get rid of our eagle mascot that is not original. OH MY GOD we may look a little foolish.

The 12 most used names of four-year college mascots: Eagles (74), Tigers (46), Bulldogs (39), Panthers (33), Knights (32), Lions (31), Bears (30), Hawks (28), Cougars (27), Pioneers (27), Warriors (27) and Wildcats (25).

Mascots

Edited by KingDL1