Attention IDIOTS

Baby Arm!

Insight to the opinion on the Denton Record-Chronicle's sports staff regarding this board.... mad.gif

Ethan B. Szatmary / They've Got To Be Kiddin'

ESPN mag makes UNT look more lean than Mean

09:40 AM CDT on Sunday, September 11, 2005

Ethan B. Szatmary

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when University of North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal sat down to read the Sept. 12 issue of ESPN: The Magazine.

Like anyone who backs the Mean Green, Villarreal must have been excited about the prospects of the national magazine writing a feature story on North Texas’ back-to-back NCAA rushing champions, Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas.

While the article “Lean and Mean” by Eric Adelson suggested that Villarreal may be responsible for UNT’s dominance of the Sun Belt Conference in football, it also begins by describing Fouts Field, the Mean Green’s 53-year-old stadium, as “decrepit.” Even mentioned the players call Fouts “the Tin Can.”

Adelson isn’t exactly helping UNT’s recruiting right there, is he? And, he didn’t get around to mentioning the new athletic complex until much further into his story and didn’t bother contrasting its opulence to Fouts Field. He just said it was almost one quarter the size of LSU’s training complex.

Adelson even started talking smack about Denton sports fans.

“You can’t pity a place where public expectations are as low as attendance,” Adelson wrote. “See, down in Denton, no boosters bitch about a boring running game.”

Did Adelson bother to get on the Mean Green fan message boards that we here at the Denton Record-Chronicle call the “Idiot Board” and the “Bitter Board” — not because they’re kind and understanding fans?

Anyone who’s ever sat in the alumni section at Fouts Field has heard the “Throw the ball!” pleas of fans too short-sighted to understand the simplistic genius of Darrell Dickey’s rushing attack.

“No overbearing alums call for the coach’s head after a blowout loss to Oklahoma,” Adelson continues.

Nope, but I can remember Dickey’s front lawn filling up with “for sale” signs when the Mean Green lost to Utah State back in 2000.

The Mean Green love the pub, but maybe ESPN should have waited a couple of weeks and had Adelson do some research. Hey, attend a game or two, maybe. Tailgate, go to Fry Street, talk to some fans. ...

ETHAN B. SZATMARY can be reached at 940-566-6869. His e-mail address is eszatmary@dentonrc.com.

Did he actually just say that. I'm no journalism major but that doesn't exactly strike me as something you should be writing. Second I take it that he isn't much of a North Texas fan. We had 5 pages talking about NT football. Third who in the hell is this guy, I've never even heard of him. Has this guy ever even been on our board, I'm pretty sure that if he would get on right now he would see how everything is pretty positive. The only negative thing posted here is his article and his blast at us. I'm demanding an apology from him and the DRC. I'm all about Vito but this guy is a bum.

Edited by H-towngreen

after reading that quote by the the real "idiot" ethan "loser" stazbury i am completely shocked and appalled that a local writer would say that about our board, i dont know about you guys but does this guy want to be run out of town, cause i believe that he is asking for it...

www.gomeangreen.com is the strongest supporters of mean green sports that they are ever been on campus, this was even said to me in person by darrell dickey himself and posted by Rick Villareal earlier this year...

guys, we can not stand for some loser calling this message board a "idiot board", and let him get away with it, especially from a newspaper writer here in denton...

lets get this guy fired and and as far away from mean green nation as possible.

Zeke's got a point. In the grand scheme of things Ethan Szatmary is met by the rest of the world with a big "who the hell are you?" Even on a local sports level the average person, in fact the average Denton person, could name 10 other sports writers/pundits long before ol' Ethan comes up.

I'm sure he was just taking a shot at GMG because his pulitzer is slow to come in the mail. laugh.gif

dry.gif

guys i think yall are missing the point, we need to band together to fight this evil force in our own backyard, not talking about what different kinds of condoms exist out their

Evil Force? Tap the brakes there for a second.

Ethan played on the inaugural (and thankfully, only) GoMeanGreen.com softball team; I really don't think he has a master plan to bring the North Texas athletics to its knees.

If you don't like the article, write his editor, but lets not go over board and burn him in effigy. A well written letter or phone call to his editor will do alot of good, a raving message or email will reenforce the point he is trying to make.

I just wish he had noted the URL in the article: http://www.GoMeanGreen.com