Adopt a Player

Harry

I stole this idea from another board, but I thought it would be pretty fun for us to do this. Since we're edging closer to the season, let's each adopt a UNT player that we will pull for and follow closely this season. This does not have to be a star player it can even be a true freshman or squad player that is close to having a breakthrough year. After the season starts, we can come back and cheer on our chosen player for their performance. I will get things started by my selection of my boy, my main man LB Travis Thompson from MUSTANG Oklahoma! Travis' season was cut short by injury last year but I expect he will more than make up for it this year!!!

The clock has started - post your selections to this thread!

I'll be pulling for you Travis!

GMG!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big #64 Jason May. He had every reason to tank it a year ago after not making the grade but a winner never quits. I'm proud of him for coming back strong and in shape and anchoring what may become one of our most memorable rushing seasons yet.

O.L.P..............O Line Pride!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

In the 3rd round, the Mean Green Zekes select............Eddrick Gilmore of Alief Hastings

The guy looks looks like he has real talent off of the end in practice. I think he has the could be part an amazing D-line over the next few years.

http://www.chronicallybiased.com/features....temid=1634#more

Edited by Zeke

HAHAHA....great topic!!

With the 5th pick, Medpilot selects Defensive Tackle-Isaac Thomas, #91.

"Thomas, a player with size and speed, has been a play-maker his entire career. After a stellar high school campaign as an All-conference Tackle and wrestler, Isacc Thomas enterred the Astronaut training program at NASA. His etremely high intelligence rating, along with his ability to make quick decisions, put him at the top of his class. Thomas was contacted in week six of his program by the University of North Texas Head Football Coach, Darrell Dickey. After three days of heavy considerration, Thomas accepted a scholarship offer from the Mean Green to play football. Thomas packed up his belongings and sethis mind for a career in Denton Texas. His statement to his peers as he was leaving Houston was quick, and to the point... "I regret having to leave such a fine bunch of people, but North Texas needs me...and I may get to crush a quarterback in New Orleans. I cant see topping that here...Goodbye."

GMG!!! smile.gif

even though everyone is not nessesarily picking the "stars" of the team, the mad hatter and I have already coined "Jonny Quinn's Hoolagins". and have been living our lives in a manner representative of such a title for over 1 year. I will therefore keep my player, Jonny Quinn with the seventh selection.

Edited by bigrobdsp

It was down to two players I think are ready for breakout years but in the 8th round of the Mean Green Adopt-A-Player Draft I will go with LB Maurice Holman. He showed us what he could do against Southern Miss and I think it will be hard for Monroe to win his job back at this point. Holman will turn some heads and I think he is heading for All-Conference honors this year.

Edited by Eagle-96

Continuing my long standing tradition of pulling for the underdog, SilverEagle chooses in the ninth round walk-on O-lineman Gary Elmore, 6'2" X 290 lbs. The official web-site still lists him as being #54, but he is now wearing #71. Gary is a former Boswell Pioneer (as was "Son-of-Silver"), as well as a former walk-on at Michigan State. GOOD LUCK GARY!

My Turn....My Turn.....

I will select Derek Mendoza.....I spent the better part of the first 3 games last year cursing this kid. I suppose I just wanted to see Casey or Spencer out there. As a Freshman he really came into his own, and made some important plays. It was great to watch him mature on the field and become a real force out there. I have never forgiven myself for being so hard on him (I mean HECK he was a Freshman). Now I have championed his NT career and he is one of my favorite players...Can't wait to wear my #51 Jersey this year.

He's also awesome when I play as him on NCAA 2006 (PS2)

Green Flag selects Chad Rose. Could be a 4 year all Sun Belt team selection at center. Since I am so nurturing, I would also like to adopt the Diet Coke Dude if that is within the rules. Harry, can we have a ruling on this?

Great choice. This guy will be the anchor of the OL for 4 years.

Greensleeves would like to select Cliff Higgs from Sanger Texas. He's supposed to start at strong safetly. He's a former high school pole vaulter and I feel that those guys are mentally very tough. Plus, my mom's from Sanger and she was a cheerleader there back when the earth's crust was still cooling. So I always root for the Sangerites who make their way down Interstate 35 to Denton. Let's go

Cliff!

My second choice and this was really difficult was Antoine Bush from right here

in Tyler Texas. He's gonna be great. He's an incredible athlete from Tyler-John Tyler. Go Antoine !!!!

Now, my hope is that both of these guys are still on the team and are doing

good in practice.

This from BleedGreen64:

Having met and set beside the Quinn's for Johnny's first game as a true freshman and seeing how nice they were I started to pick him but waited too long.

Being a 6th generation Ellis Countian and with Brad Kadulbar having graduated I will take the two Ellis county players on the squad.

#63 Chad Cooley from Waxachie(although his bio says he played for Houston Aldine?) So, DE

#84 Corey Fitzgerald from Red Oak, Fr. WR

They are young and I can watch them progress through the seasons.

And with the last pick in the gomeangreen.com adopt a player draft and this years Mr. Irrelavent H-towngreen slects .............................WR Brandon Jackson out of Sugar Land, TX!!!! I feel like this kid is vastly underated, nobody has talked about this kid since the day he signed. He came in as one of the 10 best wr's in the state. Everyone wanted to talk about R. Covington and Stickler and others, Jackson is the one who endend up contributing during his freshman campaign. And expect bigger things this year from him. I WIN!!!!!!!