NT-ASU Game

NCMeanGreen

Well, any weekend OTHER than THANKSGIVING, we could probably produce a pretty good crowd... but I fear low numbers for that saturday

Why in the world would the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving be affect the attendance? I swear, the Mean Green fan comes up with every excuse under the sky to not show up to games. Thanksgiving is not like a two week holiday - it is one night. I will go out to my parents (or they will come over to my house) and we will eat.... by the end of Thursday I will want to get away from them so bad that I can't even describe it. By Saturday, Thanksgiving will be a distant memory. Some people might want to freaking SHOP on Friday and Saturday; but that shouldn't keep a fan away from a game 2 freaking nights later???!!!

I know that we are not A&M but they play ON Thanksgiving some years (they have done this as a promo before the two Pro games a couple of times)... and they always play the day after. I don't see them whining about having to make it back to College Station for that game.

Why in the world would the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving be affect the attendance?  I swear, the Mean Green fan comes up with every excuse under the sky to not show up to games.  Thanksgiving is not like a two week holiday - it is one night.  I will go out to my parents (or they will come over to my house) and we will eat.... by the end of Thursday I will want to get away from them so bad that I can't even describe it.  By Saturday, Thanksgiving will be a distant memory.  Some people might want to freaking SHOP on Friday and Saturday; but that shouldn't keep a fan away from a game 2 freaking nights later???!!!

I know that we are not A&M but they play ON Thanksgiving some years (they have done this as a promo before the two Pro games a couple of times)... and they always play the day after.  I don't see them whining about having to make it back to College Station for that game.

People will stay away because they can simply turn on the TV and see the game on ESPN 2. That will affect attendance more than any other factor.

Why in the world would the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving be affect the attendance?  I swear, the Mean Green fan comes up with every excuse under the sky to not show up to games.  Thanksgiving is not like a two week holiday - it is one night.  I will go out to my parents (or they will come over to my house) and we will eat.... by the end of Thursday I will want to get away from them so bad that I can't even describe it.  By Saturday, Thanksgiving will be a distant memory.  Some people might want to freaking SHOP on Friday and Saturday; but that shouldn't keep a fan away from a game 2 freaking nights later???!!!

I know that we are not A&M but they play ON Thanksgiving some years (they have done this as a promo before the two Pro games a couple of times)... and they always play the day after.  I don't see them whining about having to make it back to College Station for that game.

I wasnt really referring to the average MG fan, moreso the student. When I was in college and my parents lived in Houston, it was nice to have a weekend away before finals. Many students may have parents in the Metroplex, and I see no reason why they couldnt make it. Some people have family in from out of town on that weekend and it makes it difficult to get away.

I live in Houston now, but I will be at the game that Saturday. I'm making a college football weekend of it. Gonna go to Kyle Field and watch the Lonestar Showdown friday, then cruise up to Denton for Saturday nights game.

Agree with Eagle-96, having it on TV might hurt attendance. Theres just alot of factors that lead me to believe that will be our LOWEST attendance game of the year

Edited by Eagle1855

I wasnt really referring to the average MG fan, moreso the student. When I was in college and my parents lived in Houston, it was nice to have a weekend away before finals. Many students may have parents in the Metroplex, and I see no reason why they couldnt make it. Some people have family in from out of town on that weekend and it makes it difficult to get away.

I live in Houston now, but I will be at the game that Saturday. I'm making a college football weekend of it. Gonna go to Kyle Field and watch the Lonestar Showdown friday, then cruise up to Denton for Saturday nights game.

Agree with Eagle-96, having it on TV might hurt attendance. Theres just alot of factors that lead me to believe that will be our LOWEST attendance game of the year

This should be one of those TV games that they (in deed) move to Tuesday night if they televise this game; because if memory serves me, we did that last year on ESPN2 the week of Turkey Day AND on a Tuesday night.

This should be one of those TV games that they (in deed) move to Tuesday night if they televise this game;  because if memory serves me, we did that last year on ESPN2 the week of Turkey Day AND on a Tuesday night.

I doubt Arkansas State would want to play a Nov 19th date @ Army then turn around 3 days later and play @ NT...

and didnt we already switch this game once?

I doubt Arkansas State would want to play a Nov 19th date @ Army then turn around 3 days later and play @ NT...

and didnt we already switch this game once?

Yeah, we flip-flopped our schedule which gave ASU the opportunity to play Army. Not totally sure that was in our best interest either; but what's done is done.

The 2005 NT football schedule is the most out of sync schedule I can recall in 30 plus years, except for a 2 or 3 seasons we only had 4 home games at Fouts quite some time ago. I'm sure our guys will meet the challenge, though.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This might be a great opportunity for people to contact housing and student activities to try and do something for that weekend, but this is UNT so unfortunately do not expect to much to pump up the students. dry.gif

exactly, I think if the athletic dept. was able to reach out to the students before the break and give incentives to coming to the game, then the dent wouldn't be so bad, or wouldn't be noticable at all. With the promotion that has gone the last few years, it won't help when there is a game that weekend, and most of the students who are gone have no clue of it even happening. Still with a growing student fan base I think you have to give the casual student fan an incentive to coming back to Denton that weekend and cutting their break short. Like what I have learned in economics, people respond to incentives.

I'm having to cut my break short here in Houston to make it back up to the game, probably meaning I'll get at max 3 days here in Houston for my break.

exactly, I think if the athletic dept. was able to reach out to the students before the break and give incentives to coming to the game, then the dent wouldn't be so bad, or wouldn't be noticable at all. With the promotion that has gone the last few years, it won't help when there is a game that weekend, and most of the students who are gone have no clue of it even happening. Still with a growing student fan base I think you have to give the casual student fan an incentive to coming back to Denton that weekend and cutting their break short. Like what I have learned in economics, people respond to incentives.

I'm having to cut my break short here in Houston to make it back up to the game, probably meaning I'll get at max 3 days here in Houston for my break.

Incentives? How about an opportunity to watch the 4 time defending SunBelt champs. How about Senior Day and the opportunity to see some great players(Branch, Bazaldua, Chris Miller, Patrick Cobbs, TJ Covington, etc...) in the last game they will ever play at Fouts.

Edited by Eagle-96

I hear what all are saying about the NT students, but I had a UHouston grad/alum (who lived in DFW) sit by me couple years back and he said NT had as many (or more) of our students at Fouts Field games than the Coogs did at Robertson Stadium.

IMHO, we should focus more on those 500,000 citizens who live in Denton County. We seem to not have an aggressive plan to do such (unless its a top secret plan or something). Everyone put their numbers cap on:

NT Enrollment..........32,000 (plus 5,000+/- NT employees)

Denton County......500,000

Marketing focus? You be the judge.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Yeah, we flip-flopped our schedule which gave ASU the opportunity to play Army.  Not  totally sure that was in our best interest either;  but what's done is done.

Actually it was changed twice. It was first set for the 19th and moved to October 8 to accomodate ASU. Then it was moved to November 26 to accomodate UNT's TV game with Troy. So what was done to help ASU was UNDONE to help UNT.

Why in the world would the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving be affect the attendance? 

In my case playing the Saturday after Thanksgiving means I'm unavailable.

My wife's family does their dinner on Saturday, we go to my family on Thursday, her brother goes to his in-laws on Thursday, and her sister goes to her in-laws on Thursday then we all get together on Saturday.

A telecast would be greatly appreciated by me.

Incentives? How about an opportunity to watch the 4 time defending SunBelt champs. How about Senior Day and the opportunity to see some great players(Branch, Bazaldua, Chris Miller, Patrick Cobbs, TJ Covington, etc...) in the last game they will ever play at Fouts.

I'm just stating it how I see it, granted student support should be higher than it is. Bottom line is if you throw in a contest or some giveway at the game like what they did at the Idaho game last year, it will increase attendence. Bottom line is that the athletic dept. will have to at least go heavy on promotion this game a week or two before the game, which worries me based on past promotion of the 2 years I have been at the school.

It seems to me were missing the obvious here. Attendence may be a question but when isnt it? The BIG thing here is that there is a good possiblility that we are going to be on National Television twice this year (not counting a potential bowl game) and that both of those games are going to be televised at HOME!

Now i could be wrong, but to me this seems like a tremendous opportunity for the Universtiy to show its self off. Not to mention all of those borderline alumni that we keep talking about to turn on the TV and see there alma-mater playing on National Television at Home. To me that will bring more of those fringe alumni out of the woodwork then a billboard or flyer.

Edited by GreenN'walinsVet

How about focusing on area schools. It's been said on here before but how about some type of high school band night. We have a great music program here so lets use that to our advantage somehow. Let them perform before/halftime/after the game. Or come to the game in your school band shirt get in free. Come in any high school shirt get in free. Get surrounding H.S football teams to come to the game for free. Thats also a way to help out recruiting possibly theres lots of talent in the surrounding areas. Having these players coming to the game might shed some light on our program. There's no excuse for having such a low avg. attendence

How about focusing on area schools.  It's been said on here before but how about some type of high school band night.  We have a great music program here so lets use that to our advantage somehow.  Let them perform before/halftime/after the game. Or come to the game in your school band shirt get in free. Come in any high school shirt get in free. Get surrounding H.S football teams to come to the game for free. Thats also a way to help out recruiting possibly theres lots of talent in the surrounding areas. Having these players coming to the game might shed some light on our program. There's no excuse for having such a low avg. attendence

Cue 4 page response from Plumm in 4...3...2...

I hear what all are saying about the NT students, but I had a UHouston grad/alum (who lived in DFW) sit by me couple years back and he said NT had as many (or more) of our students at Fouts Field games than the Coogs did at Robertson Stadium. 

IMHO, we should focus more on those 500,000 citizens who live in Denton County.  We seem to not have an aggressive plan to do such (unless its a top secret plan or something).  Everyone put their numbers cap on:

NT Enrollment..........32,000 (plus 5,000+/- NT employees)

Denton County......500,000

Marketing focus?  You be the judge.

GMG!

Agree 100% - the students showed me last year that with every accomodation going there way, they simply have not gotten on the bandwagon yet unless it involves Bourbon Street. Even with great start times and great days for games, the students showed up in small numbers last year and thw alumni side continues to outdraw the student side. It is an annomoly (sp?) to me - but I guess it has to do with the opponents. This year should be better - we already have ONE game on National TV at Fouts when Troy comes to town and we have the Tulsa Golden Hurricane coming to town. Next year is even better with both SMU and La Tech coming to town.

As for Thanksgiving being a hinderance - I guess I am in the minority. When it comes to spending a long period with my parents (even back in college) I was looking for any excuse to get back to college as soon as humanly possible.

Finally - while our move did help ASU get a home and home series with Army - it also gave us a Bye week, something that that we simply did not have going into the rearrangement - so I think we both came out of that with positive points. People also point to the MUTS game as a conspiracy to dethrone the kings of Mean Green - but I would like to point out that the MUTS haven't won a home opener in years - losing 2 or 3 of those to IAA teams. If there was ever a team that starts as slow as us, it is the MUTS. If that game had been ULM then I might be scared. They seem to start off strong and then get weaker as the season goes by. BTW - I have ULM penciled in as the team that will knock us off our pedestal this year. They have a lot going for them and even though I hate the bastard, Charlie Weatherbie is a VERY good coach. I am sure that he will get the hell out of Monroe as soon as he turns them into a winner and gets another offer - but I think he will turn them into a winner within the next year or two. I am also convinced that Bustle will turn the corner this year and have UL end up with a winning record. I think that FAU will be better than most of the magazines think, you can't rule out a Schnellenberger coached team, no matter how many seniors he lost. And I think that Roberts will have his system finally in place in Jonesboro. I think the Sun Belt will have its best season yet. We might be the ones that are chasing the title this year; but that will make the ride that much more fun due to the parity of our league.