NT-ASU Game

NCMeanGreen

Stebo, there was games where the student side had more than the alumni side.

I guess it is easier to see the empty spaces across the way that on your periphery, but the student side isn't the only one that needs to improve.

I disagree. Last year I went and sat with a couple of my student friends nearly every game and we seemed to agree that the alumni side was equal to or greater then the student side each week. That was our perspective. The student side was a lot more rowdy and they did come out in equal amounts for both homecoming and the Idaho game (when the car giveaway was going on) - but the other 3 games - expecially the rained out one - showed me that the alumni are starting to be the core group of fans that we should target. They are starting to show up on a more regular basis than the students. Maybe it is because they have to pay for their tickets (the alumni) and do not want to see their hard earned money go to waste just because of a little rain... or maybe it was backlash over the finals being moved... or whatever - but last year I think the alumni had a slight (higher for some games then others) edge... This was new for North Texas - the year before and especially the 2002 year - when we had a great crowd of students tear down the goalpost after the NMSU win, the students really seemed to be outdrawing the alumni; but last year was a very big step for the alumni side. I remember posts on this board about it after nearly home game - questions as to where the heck the students were this year, and stuff like that. I am not trying to put down the student side - when I was a student, we went for various reasons - mainly the free beer that Helwig tossed around for the move up to IA tongue.gif but we were inconsistent back then, too.

Edited by stebo

I hear what all are saying about the NT students, but I had a UHouston grad/alum (who lived in DFW) sit by me couple years back and he said NT had as many (or more) of our students at Fouts Field games than the Coogs did at Robertson Stadium. 

IMHO, we should focus more on those 500,000 citizens who live in Denton County.  We seem to not have an aggressive plan to do such (unless its a top secret plan or something).  Everyone put their numbers cap on:

NT Enrollment..........32,000 (plus 5,000+/- NT employees)

Denton County......500,000

Marketing focus?  You be the judge.

GMG!

I think people are saying that the NT Enrollment is just a good place to start. How do you expect to draw and appeal to outsiders if you cannot even appeal to your insiders? Maybe that is not important, though. I guess in the end I would just like to have 30K in the stands, even if they were/are not students and alumni...

Quoting Arkansas State Fan:

"My wife's family does their dinner on Saturday, we go to my family on Thursday, her brother goes to his in-laws on Thursday, and her sister goes to her in-laws on Thursday then we all get together on Saturday."

Yeah but you're from Arkansas....aren't those the same four people all visiting one another.....over and over again?

j/k

Edited by SUMG

---500,000.?? One thing for sure there are a lot of people in the area. Filling the stadium with fans should not be a problem if we can ever get "name" teams to appear in Denton. .... a vicious circle...... few fans in attendence, no stadium and no name teams.... Get a larger better stadium somehow and the other two things should take care of themselves.

---For years (decades) UT and Aggies played on Thanksgiving. I don't think they do anymore because of the two NFL games (Cowboys every year) now play on Thankgiving plus many families like to meet on Thanksgiving Day. I think they now play only on Friday or Sat. Army/Navy is usually that week-end too.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I sat on both sides last year.. had a hell of a lot more fun on the student side than the alumni side, thats for sure... the alumn I sat next to kept getting annoyed when we would stand and cheer... old farts...

I dont really remember who had most as I was watching the game, but I do know that during the NMSU game last year, it was packed in the part of the student section I sat/stood in and that made it alot of fun. I dont remember it feeling that way during the FAU game (when I was on the alumn side)... but then again that may be the peripheral thing and where my seats were located

I think they now play only on Friday or Sat.

They play on Fridays now... has been that way for the last few years and will probably remain that way... ABC tried to get them to play in primetime on Sat night this year, but from what I understand Texas said no. Mack said he likes early games on friday so that the athletes can spend the weekend with their family. (or maybe its because they go to CS this year and night games in that environment are rough)