BREAKING: Jason Edwards to enter transfer portal

I know you love The Office Andrew.  Just think of players as Dwight Schrute and you'll be happy.

Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I know you love The Office Andrew.  Just think of players as Dwight Schrute and you'll be happy.

Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most.

But Dwight still stayed…. The transfer portal is a ridiculous concept. I can understand a single transfer, the constant jumping in and jumping out. That’s a problem. Basketball is a team sport and part of being on a team is being loyal. I’m sure part of the problem is also family and friends just whispering in peoples ears about the money. It’s not about basketball or the game or the team anymore. It’s all about me…. And that’s not how society should operate. (I understand it does at times…. But that should never be the norm). 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

I believe Colleges will soon have to go to playing-contracts with athletes before much longer, similar to the NFL.  Mainly to lock up players from moving after each season. 

The pay will have to be school-issued (but can be donor funded) with cap limits set on rosters determined by conference membership.  Players can still sign endorsement deals outside the school playing contracts.  But they can't leave for another school until either released from their current school contract, or stipulated buyout paid, or settlement agreement.  Similar to NFL.

A buyout from another school would help the athlete to move up in conferences and help the losing school recruit his replacement.  

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I believe Colleges will soon have to go to playing-contracts with athletes before much longer, similar to the NFL.  Mainly to lock up players from moving after each season. 

The pay will have to be school-issued (but can be donor funded) with cap limits set on rosters determined by conference membership.  Players can still sign endorsement deals outside the school playing contracts.  But they can't leave for another school until either released from their current school contract, or stipulated buyout paid, or settlement agreement.  Similar to NFL.

A buyout from another school would help the athlete to move up in conferences and help the losing school recruit his replacement.  

thats a nice scenario. I don't ever see their being a salary cap, though, the big $$ is always going to want to be able to have the advantage. 

My dream scenario is for them to set it up like soccer leagues with relegation and promotion. Man, that would be fun in college football. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

If he went to Houston y'all would have him riding the bench unless he suddenly gained a bunch of discipline in his fast break, ball handling, and learning not to be a messy inaccurate hero at the end of close games.

Appreciate his contributions.  Hope your check is big and you actually get to play where you go. 

This is true. If you don't have good fundamentals then Sampson won't play you. This is why we were able to send our walk-ons in against A$M and still win.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Sad to see him go.  Why can’t the NCAA fix this mess?  It is killing the sport.

Agree

We have fans on here thinking we can just reload with another recruit, but until we have some serious NIL a money. We are just another farm team to feed the corporations. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

eh. to a reduced role, for sure. to come back as the clear number 1 and "leader"...that's the recipe for another middle of the pack season, IMO.

we're in an era where scholarship availability is basically as valuable as scholarship players. this is a great opportunity. 

plus, we probably ditch that weird kid poster from Virginia too. 

I think without Rubin for a lot of the season, he sorta 'seized' that opening.   Nothing wrong with that really, as we needed someone to step up.

Who's to say he couldn't do the same as Tylor & Javion, and improve from year 1 to year 2?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Agree

We have fans on here thinking we can just reload with another recruit, but until we have some serious NIL a money. We are just another farm team to feed the corporations. 

This is not the fans fault.  This is the NCAA and the coaches being greedy.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

This is not the fans fault.  This is the NCAA and the coaches being greedy.

It's not the NCAA per se.  They can't control the big guys - they consistently lose in court when the Big 10 or whoever challenges them.  Even a few weeks ago the SEC commissioner made a veiled threat about not letting in so many auto bids from smaller conferences so the big boys can get practically their whole leagues in the postseason.  That's what I'm starting to worry about.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I definitely appreciated his talent and seeming ability to help keep us from the 5-7 minute scoring droughts we used to see from our teams.  I attribute a lot of that to improvement to him.  

But, as others have said, either we were going to have to change our style or he was going to have to take a different role.  I'd prefer to not have lost him, but he's one where it was a bit of a square peg round hole and I wish him well in his next spot.

I would add, I assume that his minutes in the NIT reveal that our coaching staff would not have wanted to lose him, either.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

We are seeing a trend. Get use to it.

What trend is that?  Is one person a trend?  Are you insinuating that there will be more to follow soon?

4 hours ago, Cougar King said:

This is true. If you don't have good fundamentals then Sampson won't play you. This is why we were able to send our walk-ons in against A$M and still win.

A$M took it to overtime against your "walk-ons" and nearly sent you home!

• Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

What trend is that?  Is one person a trend?  Are you insinuating that there will be more to follow soon?

I'm thinking perhaps he means Perry and now Edwards.  Our leading scorers getting poached by bigger programs every year.  This is happening in football and even softball as our best pitcher got bought by OU. 

This is where binding player contracts will have to be mandated, like for coaches, with salaries and buyouts if they want to leave the contract early. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think without Rubin for a lot of the season, he sorta 'seized' that opening.   Nothing wrong with that really, as we needed someone to step up.

Who's to say he couldn't do the same as Tylor & Javion, and improve from year 1 to year 2?

I mean, it's all moot now, but I hear you...opportunity and needs demanded it...and maybe there's a maturation, especially with ball-handling and decision making. 

but I'm fine with him walking bc I'm still stuck on the idea that I just don't think Edwards as a lead guard makes you a winner. he took 100 more shots than TP did his last season here, in two fewer games. 19ppg is flashy, but efficiency is far more important, especially on a team like ours where we're actively trying to limit possessions. 

injuries mis-cast him here and by the end I didn't trust him at the end of games (I put a lot of that on Hodge too). seems like a good dude and I hope he succeeds in whatever spot he lands...but I think the team and program will be better off utilizing the free scholarship to address other needs on the roster. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

Buyout clauses for NIL would be great for us. If we are going to develop and find them, might as well get a chunk of money  for it.

11 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

My dream scenario is for them to set it up like soccer leagues with relegation and promotion. Man, that would be fun in college football. 

Promotion and relegation would never happen in a million lifetimes. Why would any SEC team volunteer to be relegated and lose tens of millions of dollars? You'd never get any of those schools to agree to that.

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Sad to see him go.  Why can’t the NCAA fix this mess?  It is killing the sport.

Legally the NCAA lost in court and can do nothing. All the players are doing is following the example set by the coaches. I didn't see much if any criticism of coach Mac heading to TT for more money so why are a few of you blasting the players for doing the same. Amateur college sports as we know it is dead. We need to accept it and move on but to continue to bash players who played for us and then entered the portal is childish.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, wardly said:

Legally the NCAA lost in court and can do nothing. All the players are doing is following the example set by the coaches. I didn't see much if any criticism of coach Mac heading to TT for more money so why are a few of you blasting the players for doing the same. Amateur college sports as we know it is dead. We need to accept it and move on but to continue to bash players who played for us and then entered the portal is childish.

Coaches are under contracts, many with buyout stipulations if they want to leave before the end of it.   They can't just walk away like a player can now.  Scholarships used to have sit-out rules if you transferred.   Put players under contracts too, with buyouts for the new school to pay.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Coaches are under contracts, many with buyout stipulations if they want to leave before the end of it.   They can't just walk away like a player can now.  Scholarships used to have sit-out rules if you transferred.   Put players under contracts too, with buyouts for the new school to pay.

The new school, such as TT, would buy coach Mac out of his contract as will all universities of note. UNT paid North Carolina of Somewhere $100,000 to buy their women's basketball coach Karen Ashton out and she lasted one year before bolting to Texas. I feel safe in saying Texas bought her  contract out and we got our money back and maybe even a little more. She eventually was fired because she could never compete with Baylor and is now at UTSA. If you want to put players under contract you would need to treat them as employees with the same benefits you provide all other employees. In summary, we are in violent agreement that the system is broken until it isn't and Chandler Rogers lands in our lap. I think in the near future the Power conferences such as Big 10 and SEC will spin off and do their own thing leaving the Group of whatever number to put their own division together leaving 1AA programs alone. In the meantime we are stuck in NIL/Transfer Portal Hell.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, wardly said:

If you want to put players under contract you would need to treat them as employees with the same benefits you provide all other employees. In summary, we are in violent agreement that the system is broken until it isn't and Chandler Rogers lands in our lap. I think in the near future the Power conferences such as Big 10 and SEC will spin off and do their own thing leaving the Group of whatever number to put their own division together leaving 1AA programs alone. In the meantime we are stuck in NIL/Transfer Portal Hell.

That works.   Toss out their free education, books, meals, dorm and medical and let them pay for it with their NIL, like real employees have to.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1