Tough Times for smuT

I'm glad SMU lost but now I hope someone knocks out Indiana State quick. With "Cream" Abdul-Jabaar and the feel-good Sycamores winning the hearts of America this year but missing out on the Tournament, AND with the NIT Final Four in ISU's backyard, I feel this is the perfect setup to try to make the tournament relevant again. After the controversial bid changes and a dozen teams denying invites, Indiana State vs. the defending champion is probably the best storyline and championship crowd the NIT could hope for.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm glad SMU lost but now I hope someone knocks out Indiana State quick. With "Cream" Abdul-Jabaar and the feel-good Sycamores winning the hearts of America this year but missing out on the Tournament, AND with the NIT Final Four in ISU's backyard, I feel this is the perfect setup to try to make the tournament relevant again. After the controversial bid changes and a dozen teams denying invites, Indiana State vs. the defending champion is probably the best storyline and championship crowd the NIT could hope for.

So, do you want them to make the final or not? You seem to be arguing both.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Preferably not. Get them out before their position as media darlings grows and we're in an unfavorable position in Indianapolis.

I mean the best possible scenario for local interest would have been if Butler had made the Final.  Even beyond Indiana State, Bradley remains in the tourney too.  I'd actually like one of ISU or BU to make the semis at the very least to get a big crowd going.  Last year only Utah Valley State was anywhere what you could call close by to Las Vegas and it hurt attendance.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Up by 10 with six minutes left and score like 8 points the rest of the way. Choke artist. 

Indiana state ties the game at around 8:40 remaining, and pulled away for the comfy win.

not sure what you got that from.

EDIT: maybe you’re speaking of a different game.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

Lol.  I thought with your NIL mega=million$ you could buy players/wins in every sport?

You have to have a coach willing and able to utilize the portal and NIL in order to actually use it.  This seems to not be the case.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

You have to have a coach willing and able to utilize the portal and NIL in order to actually use it.  This seems to not be the case.

Looking at things from a non-UNT lense, SMU and Memphis both need to be looking for new coaches. Too much size, athleticism, and talent to not have had better seasons. Not sure how many seniors y'all have but next year will be rough if the leadership doesn't change.

• Upvote 1

So now the drum roll begins about whether SMU will make a run at grabbing Ross Hodge away from us..this will go on for awhile, I fear.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

So now the drum roll begins about whether SMU will make a run at grabbing Ross Hodge away from us..this will go on for awhile, I fear.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  They will try to money whip him.  Lanier was a weird hire always to me.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

4 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  They will try to money whip him.  Lanier was a weird hire always to me.

Unlikely. Their boosters won't take kindly to hiring a 1st year D1 coach with 14 losses. I'm not worried. And I'm pretty sure smug tried to do the same to Grant and he waited for a better gig. I anticipate, even if this unlikely scenario were to happen, Ross to do the same. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Unlikely. Their boosters won't take kindly to hiring a 1st year D1 coach with 14 losses. I'm not worried. And I'm pretty sure smug tried to do the same to Grant and he waited for a better gig. I anticipate, even if this unlikely scenario were to happen, Ross to do the same. 

You know who SMU boosters will love?    Will Wade.   If Lanier is let go... that's probably the first guy they call.  2 peas in a pod.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1