Spring Football

51 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Anyone have any news about the spring practices? Anyone looking good/not so good? Been thirsting for some UNT football news of late. 

The outdoor practice fields got some sprinkler action this week 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

How can you say that when we lost our best offensive lineman?

OL quality as a squad is more about the weakest link rather than the best individual lineman.  I don't agree with @3_n_out but it certainly possible if all the individual lineman are best than the worst lineman in the squad last year.  And if the offense is 60% pass vs 40% run or if is closer to 50/50 with a zone blocking run scheme that makes the weakest link more important vs strongest link.  It is great to have a monster like Larry Allen, Eric Williams, or Travis Fredick.   But it you aren't scheming to run behind him their impact can be limited when the best pass rusher on the opposition just moves to go at weaker offensive lineman.  

So many unknowns about this coming season it hard to be excited or pessimistic about it.  I just wish this was year 3 of our new coach instead of year 2.

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 2

On 3/23/2024 at 8:12 AM, Jonnyeagle said:

How can you say that when we lost our best offensive lineman?

On 3/23/2024 at 9:56 AM, Meangreen Fight said:

OL quality as a squad is more about the weakest link rather than the best individual lineman.  I don't agree with @3_n_out but it certainly possible if all the individual lineman are best than the worst lineman in the squad last year.  And if the offense is 60% pass vs 40% run or if is closer to 50/50 with a zone blocking run scheme that makes the weakest link more important vs strongest link.  It is great to have a monster like Larry Allen, Eric Williams, or Travis Fredick.   But it you aren't scheming to run behind him their impact can be limited when the best pass rusher on the opposition just moves to go at weaker offensive lineman.  

So many unknowns about this coming season it hard to be excited or pessimistic about it.  I just wish this was year 3 of our new coach instead of year 2.

Just trying to have some blind optimism early in the spring. I like the notion of having some P5 OLs transfer to us and potentially contributing. And to be honest, while our offensive numbers were great, our OL struggled some. 

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t think I have ever seen a spring with less hype or enthusiasm. 

Between men’s and women’s basketball, I didnt have the time to dig into spring ball.  It’s not a bad problem to have. I follow the football team on the socials and they usually post daily photos. 

• Upvote 1