Rice (3/9/24)

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

What is at stake with this game? Is our conference tournament seeding already set?

Winning might propel a hot UTSA team into the 7/10 first round matchup at Dickies. UTSA is 11th with the same conference record as Rice and only has to play at home vs. Temple in their last game.

4 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Winning might propel a hot UTSA team into the 7/10 first round matchup at Dickies. UTSA is 11th with the same conference record as Rice and only has to play at home vs. Temple in their last game.

This would not be good. Maybe we drop this one. I would be scared to face UTSA in our first round. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

This would not be good. Maybe we drop this one. I would be scared to face UTSA in our first round. 

I say just win though. I have no idea what the tiebreaker is for a multi-team stalemate. The five bottom teams (Wichita State, Rice, UTSA, Temple, and Tulane) could all finish 5-13 if Tulane beats Wichita at home, we beat Rice, and Temple wins in San Antonio but loses at home to UAB.

I would just like to avoid Wichita State out of bias for their history, and Tulane because I don't want to have to beat someone three times.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Matchbox said:

I can't stand the mentality of "let's avoid this team, etc" especially a team with 5 conference wins. I guarantee you the coaches and players don't care.

Just win the game and advance. 

Feel your mentality, but styles make fights. Witchita State's big is playing his rear off right now. He would destroy Sissoko/Allen. What will be your answer to dealing with him? I would gamble that the coaches & players would prefer a team that their style gave fits vs come one come all.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I've got a solo ticket left that became available in Section 111 right behind the UNT bench. Otherwise we've bought out the whole section. If anyone can use it, let me know.

If anyone else has a single ticket, I'm interested.  Otherwise, I'm just going to get a GA ticket when I get there (like I've always done).

3 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Feel your mentality, but styles make fights. Witchita State's big is playing his rear off right now. He would destroy Sissoko/Allen. What will be your answer to dealing with him? I would gamble that the coaches & players would prefer a team that their style gave fits vs come one come all.

I can understand trying to avoid FAU, or even Memphis but every team can present a match-up problem. We've been undersized all year, but we present our own match-up problems too (Edwards, CJ in the post). 

If RJ and Scott can stay out of foul trouble, we can make a run. Defense is our identity and those two are the heartbeat.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Matchbox said:

I can understand trying to avoid FAU, or even Memphis but every team can present a match-up problem. We've been undersized all year, but we present our own match-up problems too (Edwards, CJ in the post). 

If RJ and Scott can stay out of foul trouble, we can make a run. Defense is our identity and those two are the heartbeat.

What is your definition of a run? 1-1?

Edited by HoosMeanGreen
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

What is your definition of a run? 1-1?

My guess is at least the semis.  I think it's possible we could make a run, but since we're probably gonna be facing FAU in the quarters, I wouldn't expect it.

Edited by CMJ

1 hour ago, Matchbox said:

A run is winning 3 games, which means making the championship game. 
Won’t be easy, but we’re healthy now.

If today’s results pan out as expected, that run would equate to defeating 3 teams that we are winless against this season. “Won’t be easy” is an understatement. Impossible is more like it. As for being healthy now, X + 0 equals X.  

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, Matchbox said:

Not really.  UAB is a clear problem for us, regardless of Edwards/CJ.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Clearly watching the same team that I watch.  Does the delusion continue post Thursday/Friday loss or does acceptance set in? 

You don't even have to watch the team to know this, though I hope people are lol

I was just echoing what Hodge said in the post-UAB interviews.  Paraphrasing, "Blazers are so, so strong and match up perfectly against our weaknesses."