Will we have anymore HOF players

With the NIL going on any great player will not be here for four years anymore.  Just what college sports has become.  The big boys are now of the mind set why develop when we can just buy players that have proven themselves.  Just a question does one or two season make HOF player?

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

47 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

With the NIL going on any great player will not be here for four years anymore.  Just what college sports has become.  The big boys are now of the mind set why develop when we can just buy players that have proven themselves.  Just a question does one or two season make HOF player?

Difficult to say.  In this new (stupid) era of NIL and Portal, HOF qualifications will have to be based solely on limited-time players in the program. 

The impact a player (or coach) had on a program's success will have to be the deciding factor.  Two-year players like Javion Hamlet and Tylor Perry obviously helped elevate our basketball program.  Or was it Coach Grant McCasland that elevated it over a longer period of time?   Or all three?

Edited by NT80

6 hours ago, NT93 said:

I don’t think any of those guys are HOF worthy, and I say that being a huge fan of each of them.

Sometimes it's the season outcome that sways the HOF voting.  The NCAA win over Purdue and winning the NIT were both generational events for NT Athletics.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Maybe Perry can be in the Kansas State HOF?

He was here two years, his Jr. and Sr. seasons.  He only has an extra year because of Covid.

His career is like having a player sit on the bench his freshman and sophomore campaigns and then being great his last two years.  It's not like that's never happened before.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

Sometimes it's the season outcome that sways the HOF voting.  The NCAA win over Purdue and winning the NIT were both generational events for NT Athletics.  

Valid point.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Just my personal feelings here, but I think that a player who finishes his career at NT could still be a strong contender for HOF if he puts in two HOF-worthy seasons here.  Maybe someone who make ridiculous contributions here then transfers elsewhere could be considered; but that would have to be a major strike against him, to say the least.

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Just my personal feelings here, but I think that a player who finishes his career at NT could still be a strong contender for HOF if he puts in two HOF-worthy seasons here.  Maybe someone who make ridiculous contributions here then transfers elsewhere could be considered; but that would have to be a major strike against him, to say the least.

That seems reasonable to me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Perry actually got a degree here which is more than many of our players (even four year guys) ever do.  Going to grad school somewhere else shouldn't be prohibitive.

You can call it "grad school" but we all know the real reason$ he went to K$U. 

• Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, NT93 said:

Moreso than Javion or Tylor.

Nobody is giving a guy who ip and ran away any love for the HOF! 4 year player or amazing JUCO transfer and that’s it. Really needs to be 4 year player for any sport. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, NT80 said:

You can call it "grad school" but we all know the real reason$ he went to K$U. 

He did graduate here though - again more than many former players can say.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I guess then with the portal and nil today’s college athlete could be in several different university HOFs by the time he is done with his college career. 
Maybe the name “Hall of Fame” needs to be changed to….?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:00 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

Rubin will undoubtedly have his jersey in the rafters one day. 

Rubin is a very good player, but nowhere near the level to have a jersey in the rafters.  IMO you would have to have multiple all conference first team honors or be a player with national accolades

I don't remember who currently has that honor, I know it was only Mitchell and Reedes for a long time. 

Who should be there IMO, Mitchell, Joe Hamilton, Kenneth Lyons, and Tyler Perry

• Upvote 3