South Florida now in top 25

CMJ

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I still think there is some tough, quality, basketball being played in spots 2-7.  USF's consistency is remarkable.

ALMOST  as remarkable as our Sun Belt football run. 

This actually made me think the other day. Why is there still not more respect here? I.e. more bids? I mean IMO, we have seen FAU beat Arizona, South Flordia go on a run through our whole conference, and several other teams just playing quality basketball, yet it seems we still aren't good enough to be included with the big boys.

Just don't understand.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

This actually made me think the other day. Why is there still not more respect here? I.e. more bids? I mean IMO, we have seen FAU beat Arizona, South Flordia go on a run through our whole conference, and several other teams just playing quality basketball, yet it seems we still aren't good enough to be included with the big boys.

Just don't understand.

The results in OOC just aren't there except for Memphis and FAU.  And both of them have struggled more than they can afford in league play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

The results in OOC just aren't there except for Memphis and FAU.  And both of them have struggled more than they can afford in league play.

To me, why does league play diminish what they did in the earlier part of the year? Why can't it be the other side that maybe the teams in the American are stronger than people want to let on?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

To me, why does league play diminish what they did in the earlier part of the year? Why can't it be the other side that maybe the teams in the American are stronger than people want to let on?

Because quite a few schools have bad losses, or a lot of wins over marginal opponents.  So if schools with bad losses win over the schools high in the rankings, it kills the numbers of those schools.  It's not just in the AAC either.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, CMJ said:

Because quite a few schools have bad losses, or a lot of wins over marginal opponents.  So if schools with bad losses win over the schools high in the rankings, it kills the numbers of those schools.  It's not just in the AAC either.

I think that's what my point is. If it were a bottom rung B12 team doing that, they would still have a better chance to make it to the big dance.

And for the record, I didn't down vote you.

Edited by BigWillie

I think that's what my point is. If it were a bottom rung B12 team doing that, they would still have a better chance to make it to the big dance.

And for the record, I didn't down vote you.

Of course a Bottom rung Big XII team would this year because the league itself was so damn strong OOC.  But look at the Pac-12, another Power league that had a bad year in the non conference.  Right now only two schools are projected in.  I remember other years when various power leagues only got 2-3 teams in.  Sure it's not one, but the committee also punishes the big boys when they have down years in the OOC.

Edited by CMJ
  • Downvote 1