SMU (2/11/24)

22 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Edwards is awesome, but if we need a three with the last shot he can’t create it.  We need to draw up better late game offensive set plays.  We got by the last several years with Hamlet and Perry creating shots.  Coaches need to step it up to fill the void because that guy isn’t on the team.

So last week Perry was the star when K-State beat Kansas.However Saturday at BYU he was 2 for 11 from the field and 1 of 9 from the 3 point line. It's great when our players are hitting their 3 pointers but sure sucks when they go cold.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

Reading a bit too much into my post.  Saying he’s not TP or Hamlet can be true while him still being a very good player for us.  Nowhere did I say didn’t like him or didn’t want him on the team. Just said that coaches need to help him and the team more than just turning our best scorer loose to “create”.  Your point that he’s a one man offense really only adds to what I’m saying.

No. Reading comprehension is not a skill that I lack. The mere fact that you mentioned 2 former players in your retort speaks volumes. News flash - he’s better than both of those you mentioned. You can have your favorites and reminisce on yesterday (and that weak conference), but it is what it is. He has kept UNT from being thought of as….Rice! 🤣 🤣

Hopefully the coaching staff head your words of advice. 

We have exactly 31 days remaining and we will be “on to Cincinnati”.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

50 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

No. Reading comprehension is not a skill that I lack. The mere fact that you mentioned 2 former players in your retort speaks volumes. News flash - he’s better than both of those you mentioned. You can have your favorites and reminisce on yesterday (and that weak conference), but it is what it is. He has kept UNT from being thought of as….Rice! 🤣 🤣

We who?

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

We who?

You, me, and the rest of “them”. Season ends in 31 days and you will indeed be on to Cincinnati. For some Cincinnati may be baseball, and for others football; but rest assured we definitely won’t be talking about the next game. Next year possibly. Ala “On to Cincinnati” 🤣🤣

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, Greendylan said:

Repeating the words "terrible take" doesn't actually change the substance of the discussion.  Again, seeding matters.  Getting guys back (who may not even be 100% when they get back) just in time for the conference tournament may be too late.  

Having key guys out at a bad time can take you out of contention.  If you want to say that hypothetically we would currently be contenders if we hadn't had these injuries, then I would agree with you.  But, this current team does not seem headed for a high enough seed to have a realistic shot in the AAC tournament.  Who knows? Maybe we'll get guys back way earlier than expected, and that could change everything.

Having injuries does not mean you're not a contender, it means you have injuries.

3 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Listen, I like Edwards, but until he has heroics similar to Hamlet in the NCAA or Perry in the NIT, it's absurd to say he's better than those guys.  He MAY be, but he hasn't proved it.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Listen, I like Edwards, but until he has heroics similar to Hamlet in the NCAA or Perry in the NIT, it's absurd to say he's better than those guys.  He MAY be, but he hasn't proved it.

Actually he has. 100% approval is not required. You are free to cast your vote as you see fit. However, the silent majority has spoken. Heroics in the 1st round of the NCAAs and the Not Invited Tournament are on par with winning the Potato Bowl. The only people that care or remember are the actual participants. Seriously. The casual fan has no idea NT exists. But you know that. The true green fans know NT exists and still don’t give a rats rear about the product.  

Heroics 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 7

17 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Actually he has. 100% approval is not required. You are free to cast your vote as you see fit. However, the silent majority has spoken. Heroics in the 1st round of the NCAAs and the Not Invited Tournament are on par with winning the Potato Bowl. The only people that care or remember are the actual participants. Seriously. The casual fan has no idea NT exists. But you know that. The true green fans know NT exists and still don’t give a rats rear about the product.  

Heroics 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The silent majority would say you're being premature.  If you wanna say the feats of Hamlet and Perry don't matter because nobody saw them or whatever it is you're implying - then what Edwards has done REALLY doesn't matter.

Listen you can't even admit you were wrong about what year Duke won a National Title or one of their players went there, so I don't expect a great deal of humility from your arguments.  Doesn't mean you're right very often though.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The silent majority would say you're being premature.  If you wanna say the feats of Hamlet and Perry don't matter because nobody saw them or whatever it is you're implying - then what Edwards has done REALLY doesn't matter.

Listen you can't even admit you were wrong about what year Duke won a National Title or one of their players went there, so I don't expect a great deal of humility from your arguments.  Doesn't mean you're right very often though.

The silent majority has already spoken. I took the time to go look up the heroics from Conference USA. I see Edwards weekly. He’s better. And that is all that matters in my little corner of Denton. Heroic feats in Conference USA - what a joke! Time to pull out my Jr High film and show you heroic feats (we were God awful).

Now what will really cook your goose is when the injured return. I buy a round for the bar if he goes back to the bench. That’ll tell you what CRH thinks about him. Unless you think CRH doesn’t run his team. If Edwards is doing it (pushing pace, throwing up junk), CRH is with it. Tick tock tick tock

BTW - Nelson Mandela didn’t die in prison.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

The silent majority has already spoken. I took the time to go look up the heroics from Conference USA. I see Edwards weekly. He’s better. And that is all that matters in my little corner of Denton. Heroic feats in Conference USA - what a joke! Time to pull out my Jr High film and show you heroic feats (we were God awful).

Now what will really cook your goose is when the injured return. I buy a round for the bar if he goes back to the bench. That’ll tell you what CRH thinks about him. Unless you think CRH doesn’t run his team. If Edwards is doing it (pushing pace, throwing up junk), CRH is with it. Tick tock tick tock

BTW - Nelson Mandela didn’t die in prison.

The "silent majority" of our fanbase probably thinks Josh White is a better player than Edwards.  You my young friend are not the silent majority.  You can think Edwards is the best player in recent UNT history.  Hell, you might believe he's the best there has ever been here given you've been around for about half an hour.

Of course you've also proven to be wrong nearly as frequently as Andrew.

Mandela didn't die in prison, and it's about time you let some other misconceptions go too.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The "silent majority" of our fanbase probably thinks Josh White is a better player than Edwards.  You my young friend are not the silent majority.  You can think Edwards is the best player in recent UNT history.  Hell, you might believe he's the best there has ever been here given you've been around for about half an hour.

Of course you've also proven to be wrong nearly as frequently as Andrew.

Mandela didn't die in prison, and it's about time you let some other misconceptions go too.

You keep missing the point - the silent majority has already spoken. One individual cannot be a majority.  I have watched the 2 individuals you referenced play. They are not “better”. 

Point 2 that you missed (your need to be right is funny) was me referencing Mandela not dying in prison. It was to let you know how wrong you were when you stated that I refused to admit I was wrong about Duke & KyMe. When I stated that it must have been the Mandela effect - that was admitting that I was wrong. The Mandela effect - remembering something that never happened - being wrong! I also stated that I wouldn’t go look it up because I liked the story the way I remembered it. 

The need to be right is a doozy. So I will put that one under the CMJ - dead ass wrong column. I gave you a chance.

Tinkerbell never dotted the “I” in Disney either.

• Downvote 6

Just now, HoosMeanGreen said:

You keep missing the point - the silent majority has already spoken. One individual cannot be a majority.  I have watched the 2 individuals you referenced play. They are not “better”. 

Point 2 that you missed (your need to be right is funny) was me referencing Mandela not dying in prison. It was to let you know how wrong you were when you stated that I refused to admit I was wrong about Duke & KyMe. When I stated that it must have been the Mandela effect - that was admitting that I was wrong. The Mandela effect - remembering something that never happened - being wrong! I also stated that I wouldn’t go look it up because I liked the story the way I remembered it. 

The need to be right is a doozy. So I will put that one under the CMJ - dead ass wrong column. I gave you a chance.

Tinkerbell never dotted the “I” in Disney either.

Again...who is the silent majority?  You?  No one else seems to think so, so I need receipts.  Otherwise it is not a "silent majority" -- it's a majority of one individual...which as you said doesn't make sense.

Point 2...when you said you liked the way you remembered the story and wouldn't really look it up, to me that was the cowards way out.  You only half heartedly admitted anything.  Actually it seemed like you were putting your fingers in your ears and would go on believing the story as you wanted to remember it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Again...who is the silent majority?  You?  No one else seems to think so, so I need receipts.  Otherwise it is not a "silent majority" -- it's a majority of one individual...which as you said doesn't make sense.

Point 2...when you said you liked the way you remembered the story and wouldn't really look it up, to me that was the cowards way out.  You only half heartedly admitted anything.  Actually it seemed like you were putting your fingers in your ears and would go on believing the story as you wanted to remember it.

I love the backpedaling on the refusal to admit and now it’s a half hearted admission. Which is it? You quoted me & then lied 🤥. Now I’m a coward because I accepted the true version without bothering to look it up?? So are you saying that I shouldn’t believe what others say here? Are you calling them liars as well? Somewhere a village is missing its idiot and you are here. 

Time to hit the books. I enjoyed this troll session. Same time & place next week. And you can quote me on that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

I love the backpedaling on the refusal to admit and now it’s a half hearted admission. Which is it? You quoted me & then lied 🤥. Now I’m a coward because I accepted the true version without bothering to look it up?? So are you saying that I shouldn’t believe what others say here? Are you calling them liars as well? Somewhere a village is missing its idiot and you are here. 

Time to hit the books. I enjoyed this troll session. Same time & place next week. And you can quote me on that. 

I'm not backpedaling on anything.  I didn't consider it a real admission since you said you weren't gonna look it up and preferred to remember it the way you did.  If it was an admission, it was a halfhearted one at best, but I suppose that's the best you can produce. 

Go on and do you though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not backpedaling on anything.  I didn't consider it a real admission since you said you weren't gonna look it up and preferred to remember it the way you did.  If it was an admission, it was a halfhearted one at best, but I suppose that's the best you can produce. 

Go on and do you though.

Just unwind with some Musical Starscapes and let it go! He’s harder to talk shop with than Andrew. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2

9 hours ago, CMJ said:

Not sure I ever implied otherwise?

Didn't say you implied anything, was just expounding and agreeing that Stone is mainly in the game for his defense, but is also an offensive liability.

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Truly ignoring is best.  Maybe he will go away. God, we can only pray.
But one thing is certain, he isn’t worth your time. Fools like this come and go. And ones that enjoy trolling others are pathetic and incorrigible.  Dude offers nothing of substance.

I appreciate what you and others have to say on here. And I love our created community. Some of us have been here the better part of two decades. While fools like that make it not as fun, complete dismissal is a much preferred choice of action.  Then we can get back to the reason we are here… to discuss things we love with people we enjoy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

Really good example of how effort and production are related, but separate things.

We have advanced metrics available that can reveal how much he is helping on defense and offense. It’s not good.

Are you saying this based on those metrics? I would honestly like to see them. I was a Stone fan for a while because of all of the "hustle" stuff, but I am moving to the Stone Cold side (and not the good one).

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I love these d-heads from supposed basketball blue blood schools that show up to tell us how irrelevant we are and how they are so much more knowledgeable than all of us. 

UVA isn't even a blue blood.  They're a great program, among the best of the last decade or so (and a nice run in the 80s) but they're not a blue blood with multiple titles or at least contenders with Final Fours and such fairly consistently reaching back decades.  Having schools win titles with multiple coaches also helps, though I don't penalize Duke for getting all of theirs with Krzyzewski given he won 5 (plus they did have Final Fours in their history prior to his arrival - so they had a quality history).  Blue Bloods can and do have down periods, but they're rarely out of the contender conversation for too long (Indiana is an example of a Blue Blood that's been down so long they're in danger of losing the status -- but I still keep them on given their history is so rich).

UNC, Connecticut, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana --- those are Blue Bloods.  Other quality programs like your Michigan States, Villanovas, Louisvilles, and UVAs - while very close don't quite hit the mark for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2