SMU (1/25/24)

CMJ

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes, all in the past 6 years, and it's been the best era of NT basketball....but why?    Grant and Ross, the players they found and the system they coach.   Football needs to find their Grant!

We had two NCAA tourney appearance under Coach Jones that have also been within the last 20 years.  Remember after Jones left people expected our program to keep humming.  We had the Benford debacle that lasted four years, but now we're back on track.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 6

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, and it was cool. How many were in Frisco? Either time? 

Also, nationally, even through the state, doesn't move the needle. For our fandom, it was cool. I was there and I had a great time. 

SL was famous for shitting the bed in important games.  I will always wonder what our base would look like if we didn't stab them in the heart every chance we get, over the course of 5 years.

You will never convince me that it isn't worth trying.  Doesn't have to be national.  Build from the region/conference first.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

VA is 14-5. They're doing well. Don't they have a board? 

Actually 14-5 is not doing well for Virginia. 14-5 is great for UNT. The two schools are definitely not cut from the same cloth. Only a fool would attempt to argue that fact.

But I am here now. May as well converse with the few folks that follow UNT basketball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I think we can be competitive in football, with perhaps a chance to end up in the 12 team playoff (if they actually keep to the rule that allows the highest G5 champ in) every so often.

Basketball gives schools like ours a better chance for national recognition though, it's just a fact.  The question is can we take advantage of it.  We're trying to, but a big part that is missing is still consistent fan support.  Crowds like tonight should be standard.  Even Coach Hodge said as much in the postgame show.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Actually 14-5 is not doing well for Virginia. 14-5 is great for UNT. The two schools are definitely not cut from the same cloth. Only a fool would attempt to argue that fact.

But I am here now. May as well converse with the few folks that follow UNT basketball. 

Thanks for stooping to our level. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

My guess: a lot of that disdain was early, when he had a small handful of games that were less than 10 points.  When he isn't producing consistently, and we didn't need him when Jones/Bugs were out, it was a lot easier to see the faults.

He was a bench player. I think it took about 8 games to become our leading scorer - from the bench. Impossible to win games without scoring points. As for faults, each player has many. Some refuse to take off their green glasses and acknowledge them.

He plays for us - support should be a given.

• Upvote 3

Just now, greenminer said:

SL was famous for shitting the bed in important games.  I will always wonder what our base would look like if we didn't stab them in the heart every chance we get, over the course of 5 years.

You will never convince me that it isn't worth trying.  Doesn't have to be national.  Build from the region/conference first.

I don't need to convince. No one person convinced me. Our history did. Our inadequate delivery of the product. Our poor coaching hires, internal refusal to fire, the athletic dept people, etc. The people that work for the UNT athletic department does not take UNT football seriously. Why should we? Basketball is sort of a bastard of sorts. Even in the high school rank and file of coaching. Basketball coaches disassociate with the athletic dept, football guys, they run their own S&C, etc. Simply, they match at the beat of their own drum. I think there is some truth to that at the collegiate ranks. It's its own entity that has been able to disassociate from UNT athletics, and they are now UNT basketball. 

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

How many stopped breathing at the end of game when $mut launched that 3-ball?   Shouldn't have been that close.  More free throw practice for everyone tomorrow!!

40 years of UNT fan history had me fully expecting it to go in.
  - big game
  - national TV
  - sMUT

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, and it was cool. How many were in Frisco? Either time? 

Also, nationally, even through the state, doesn't move the needle. For our fandom, it was cool. I was there and I had a great time. 

And how many times the last 7 years have 38K people attended a MBB game?

I think the postseason MBB success is just barely starting to move the national needle, but one decent football season brought more people to watch one football game at the cotton bowl than how many MBB games combined?  You're not even the slightest bit curious what might happen for football if we string together 3-5 years of ships and bowl wins?

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Psh. Bennett has had some good years of recent. UVA basketball is not historicslly elite. Spurts of elite years mixed with bad years and a lot of mediocrity. You on here acting like you're an old crusty IU or UCLA guy. Buncha bulllllS

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't need to convince. No one person convinced me. Our history did. Our inadequate delivery of the product. Our poor coaching hires, internal refusal to fire, the athletic dept people, etc. The people that work for the UNT athletic department does not take UNT football seriously. Why should we? Basketball is sort of a bastard of sorts. Even in the high school rank and file of coaching. Basketball coaches disassociate with the athletic dept, football guys, they run their own S&C, etc. Simply, they match at the beat of their own drum. I think there is some truth to that at the collegiate ranks. It's its own entity that has been able to disassociate from UNT athletics, and they are now UNT basketball. 

My 0.02:

bad admin, bad hires, people that didn't care.  All of that was relevant until the end of the RV era.

WB and Jared have given me hope that we want to figure this out.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think the postseason MBB success is just barely starting to move the national needle, but one decent football season brought more people to watch one football game at the cotton bowl than how many MBB games combined?  You're not even the slightest bit curious what might happen for football if we string together 3-5 years of ships and bowl wins?

These are baseless points. To flip your own argument, I've been to countless UNT football games that did not have a true attendance of tonight's basketball game (8k). 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Where have those 38,000 fans been recently ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, CMJ said:

We had two NCAA tourney appearance under Coach Jones that have also been within the last 20 years.  Remember after Jones left people expected our program to keep humming.  We had the Benford debacle that lasted four years, but now we're back on track.

It was five dreadful years.  Wren was new, and Benford got to coach his final 5th year.  I think we lost 70% of season ticket holders from the JJ years.

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

These are baseless points. To flip your own argument, I've been to countless UNT football games that did not have a true attendance of tonight's basketball game (8k). 

Dude, can’t we just enjoy the win tonight and save all of this for another time?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1