Charlotte (1/20/24)

CMJ

We just don’t have the horses. 

and it isn’t only stone. Sissoko HAS to get better. He is probably the worst we have had in a long long time. I know we have been spoiled with a good string of quality ones. But man. He just isn’t it. 😞 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

It’s one game folks. They did the same things to us at their house last year. Put it behind us and go on to the next game. 

Maybe too much celebrating and talking about about the ECU game instead of focusing on Charlotte. Hell, I know this board was still reviewing the final shot at tip-off today. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don’t get the “we look tired” comments. The effort is there we just hitting our shots and we aren’t giving any credit to Charlotte’s defense. We aren’t hitting anything and they are. That is the difference, period. 

Also, the comments that Charlotte isn’t good are ridiculous. As noted, they beat FAU. Patterson is tough. Wish Noland, who has the same body type, played with that offensive confidence today. 

Trams have off games for whatever reason. Sadly, it looks like today is our off day. 

They beat FAU, and before today, no one else of note. Look at their schedule. Patterson is that team and help never came or came too late. And he was draining buckets. We shot freaking 6% from 3. That is not CLT. Has virtually nothing to do with them. Our guys sucked. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

We don’t look tired, this is what it looks like when you get  your ass handed to you. Give Charlotte their credit. They were up for the game. They wanted it.

And, I stand by what I said earlier…Aaron Scott plays soft. If he was one of the guys to lead this team, he’s underachieving. It’s not all on him tho. Other guys need to step up when the moment arrives too. Just don’t wait for one person to score for you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This notion that the team needs to win every game to earn support has to die. Nothing today should deter people from packing the pit on Thursday. Your team is still 4-1 while missing 2 starters. 

Preaching to the choir. I’m at every game unless I’m out of town traveling for work. I just understand the reality of North Texas athletics in general. We can not like it (I don’t) but it doesn’t change the fact that our bandwagonners are fickle.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They beat FAU, and before today, no one else of note. Look at their schedule. Patterson is that team and help never came or came too late. And he was draining buckets. We shot freaking 6% from 3. That is not CLT. Has virtually nothing to do with them. Our guys sucked. 

Yup.. all 7 guys who have virtually played all conference games.   Everyone calm down.  The fact we’re 4-1 after 5 conference games with 2 starters out is a miracle. 
Edwards has to be averaging 39 minutes a night… not sustainable. 
Scott near the same.  It’s just not a good model to follow for sustainability 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Whatever. I knew you would show up on here today bitching and moaning. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

We don’t look tired, this is what it looks like when you get  your ass handed to you. Give Charlotte their credit. They were up for the game. They wanted it.

And, I stand by what I said earlier…Aaron Scott plays soft. If he was one of the guys to lead this team, he’s underachieving. It’s not all on him tho. Other guys need to step up when the moment arrives too. Just don’t wait for one person to score for you. 

Terrible take. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

This is why I don't get any excitement from basketball HS recruiting. Have we heavily utilized any HS recruit since Rubin and Aaron? Besides Stone unfortunately.

That’s on the coach to evaluate. Stone hasn’t really done much to garner minutes. Maybe Hodge needs to try something mew to shake things up

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

and it isn’t only stone. Sissoko HAS to get better. He is probably the worst we have had in a long long time. I know we have been spoiled with a good string of quality ones. But man. He just isn’t it. 😞 

I still don't get what everyone saw in Sissoko that made it so easy for so many to wave bye to Abou. dude played well in 2 games and y'all thought we had the center position solidified. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This notion that the team needs to win every game to earn support has to die. Nothing today should deter people from packing the pit on Thursday. Your team is still 4-1 while missing 2 starters. 

Exactly.  For nearly 8 years now these fellas have shown us that they’re mentally tough enough to deal.  We aren’t as fragile as we’ve been conditioned to feel over the decades.  These dudes can handle.  Tonight sucked and I honestly had the same initial fear when I saw the graphic of the next slate of games we have.  But the culture of this program truly does have fortitude and until they prove otherwise they’ve got the benefit of the doubt.   Hope we get our 2 guys back to play probably the most winnable sports game we’ve felt we’ve had against SMU in quite awhile (which to be honest is I think at least one of the largest reasons around any commenters’ stress)…and I hope we do.  But these dudes in this program have never done anything other than just come back and back and back and back.  It’s not an easy league.  Shit happens.  Get back to work and go kill it. We will be ok I bet. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 5

Just now, Censored by Laurie said:

I still don't get what everyone saw in Sissoko that made it so easy for so many to wave bye to Abou. dude played well in 2 games and y'all thought we had the center position solidified. 

Ding ding ding!! He filled a void and played his tail off so it made the story better.  We need more in the paint.  If also wonder how many more wide open shots we’d get if our offense was similar to Charlotte screening screener etc.  we have far too much dribble drive 1v1 or a meh screen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

It should die.  But it won't, because....Denton.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

I guess if you have the horses, you never lose.

Calling out one player in a game were the entire team looked completely gassed, is suspect IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Preaching to the choir. I’m at every game unless I’m out of town traveling for work. I just understand the reality of North Texas athletics in general. We can not like it (I don’t) but it doesn’t change the fact that our bandwagonners are fickle.

Fair enough.. I respect the stance. 

Too much over reacting about fatigue, Sissoko vs Abou, guys not pulling their weight and so on. It was an off game and that's it. I told myself against ECU that it was likely the last win of our 4-0 conference start. You just can't expect to stay undefeated down 2 starters. Going 4-1 without Buggs and 3-1 without Buggs and Jones is more than we could have asked for. Now the question is will they be back for SMU.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Otaku said:

These are the games that really make the hole in the paint stand out. That go to player that you can dish it to score regularly to get the momentum back when shooting isn't going well. We don't have that this year.

This is not a fair assessment since we didn’t have Buggs &, more importantly, Jones.

Lets get back to full strength & see wha we look like against these upper echelon AAC teams before overreacting.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Low skill player. Has to dribble at least 10x before making his move offensively 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1