East Carolina (1/17/24)

CMJ

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Was also a favorite of mine.

I think the best part about them complaining for the foul at the end is they shot twice as many free throws as us throughout the game and couldn't pull it off. Had they just hit their free throws, this play never happens. They were soft on the interior all game and that final play is just another example of that.

Points in the paint: NT 36, ECU 20.

Free Throws:  ECU 11/18 for 61.1%, UNT 7/9 for 77.8%

And I doubt that the foul call on the last play was the only one missed during the game!  I agree it would have never come to that if ECU had made their free throws (Aaron made his).  Give our guys credit for battling to the end, short handed and on the road. We have lost a few games like this in the past.  It happens.    GMG!

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Sure would be nice if our coach was able to have a press conference after every home game. 

FYI, for anyone, we have the Mean Green Coaches Show.  Doesn't feel the exact same as something Immediately following a game, I wish we had that too, but the production/setting seems so much better than what I see from most other school's coaches show.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

Safe to say they will be looking for blood 3/3 at our house.

I get that, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Surely, they cannot have another game like that against us?  I felt like a ton of shots fell their way, and they were getting a lot of calls in their favor (except for the game winner).  On the other side of this, we shot horribly.  Lastly, will we have Rubin/Buggs back?

No gimmies, but I feel good about round 2.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen said:

Trivia : What UNT basketball player punched through glass thus inspiring the Mean Green to a winning streak ? Hint : after 2000 and hint a winning streak means not in Binford era.

Kendrick Davis.  He was our star player, but we got used to playing without him.  His injury made us better as Calvin Watson came into his own.

That was an underrated squad now given our recent success.  Played Memphis tough as a 15 seed.  About halfway through the second half it felt like we could pull the upset.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I get that, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Surely, they cannot have another game like that against us?  I felt like a ton of shots fell their way, and they were getting a lot of calls in their favor (except for the game winner).  On the other side of this, we shot horribly.  Lastly, will we have Rubin/Buggs back?

No gimmies, but I feel good about round 2.

Yeah, thats one thing to keep in mind in these last 3 games. No Rubin or Buggs. This team is gunna be even more of a force when they get back. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Kendrick Davis.  He was our star player, but we got used to playing without him.  His injury made us better as Calvin Watson came into his own.

That was an underrated squad now given our recent success.  Played Memphis tough as a 15 seed.  About halfway through the second half it felt like we could pull the upset.

What a memory.  I watched that Memphis game while visiting a friend in Jersey.  We went to a local mall pub and found the game.

I had little idea how HARD it is to sustain that level of success.  Loved that team so much, tho.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Yeah, thats one thing to keep in mind in these last 3 games. No Rubin or Buggs. This team is gunna be even more of a force when they get back. 

I don't know if lethal is the right word.  I think we will be more rounded, for sure.

It's fun to think about this, though.  I think we will learn and appreciate (as if we didn't already lol) even more what they bring to the table when they return.

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

What a memory.  I watched that Memphis game while visiting a friend in Jersey.  We went to a local mall pub and found the game.

I had little idea how HARD it is to sustain that level of success.  Loved that team so much, tho.

I can't remember every player on every team, but I tend to remember the good teams and the better players we had on those teams.  The 2006-2007 team was actually considered to be "make or break" for Coach Jones.  Then we ended up having a really good run the rest of the time he was here.   Easily could have won two more conference tournaments before he left.

Edited by CMJ

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don't know if lethal is the right word.  I think we will be more rounded, for sure.

It's fun to think about this, though.  I think we will learn and appreciate (as if we didn't already lol) even more what they bring to the table when they return.

I didn't say lethal.

19 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

The varsity app has the radio broadcast on demand. Hodge usually has a postgame chat with Hank and Dave. It’s worth a listen. 

Are our games no longer on 97.1 The Freak?