NIL DEVIL!

Mo Green

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

They could perhaps mandate an NIL cap limit per program, like the NFL salary cap.  But also like the NFL, players could just get around it by having endorsement deals for more $$ outside of any NIL restrictions.  So, really there is no way to ensure boosters are not paying players to come to certain schools.

Isn’t that what the NIL was supposed to be, an ability to use one’s name, image or likeness for endorsement/marketing deals?  Somehow it became just a pay to be on the roster system because there is zero oversight and a rush to put it in place. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/31/2023 at 10:10 PM, GreenFlag said:

The NCAA didn’t do this. The U.S. Supreme Court did by unanimous ruling (IMHO correctly) that education related benefit caps the NCAA imposed on student athletes are in violation is U.S. anti-trust laws. 

The NCAA passes regulations voted on by member institutions. 

The NCAA isn’t an evil overlord. 

Was it an “anti-trust” ruling or “pro labor” ruling.  You cannot morally square everyone in revenue generating sports being free agents for the highest bidder and not treat players essentially the same way.  They could have circumvented this expected outcome by giving recruits irrevocable 4 year scholarships (except in the cases of 2 semesters of ineligibility or violation of student conduct rules).  They didn’t.  The large profitable programs wanted a captive labor force they could control.  That was never going to stand long term to legal challenges.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:59 PM, Mo Green said:

Could paying these young college age men $$$ give them a false sense of worth greater than their college team and school? So, when the school needs them, they bail?

Paying somebody doesn't give them a false sense of worth. It gives them an exact sense of what they are worth.

FSU players didn't quit on their team. They quit on ESPN. Creating a 5-vs-6 showcase matchup for the network didn't matter to them, the same way that going 13-0 and winning the ACC didn't matter to ESPN. Kirk Herbstreit was laying the groundwork for FSU to be excluded even before Jordan Travis got hurt.

I think we're going to see a lot more players doing what the Noles did this year, when their bowl game isn't in the playoffs.

I fear we might even see it in playoff games.

College football is a house of cards.

• Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/1/2024 at 11:28 AM, emmitt01 said:

I just heard the single dumbest argument ever for NIL as it stands while watching College Game Day.  The prospect of requiring players to compete in bowl games as part of their NIL agreement was brought up, and one of the talking heads said “but the NIL isn’t associated with the school!”

The NIL is not allowed to be tied to performance, which gives us situations like Myles Brennan getting over $300,000 in NIL deals and then retiring from football. He had more NIL deals than games played but got to keep all the money.

Until players become employees with a player's union the NIL chaos will continue I imagine. Don't see how to stop it otherwise.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, rcade said:

The NIL is not allowed to be tied to performance, which gives us situations like Myles Brennan getting over $300,000 in NIL deals and then retiring from football. He had more NIL deals than games played but got to keep all the money.

Until players become employees with a player's union the NIL chaos will continue I imagine. Don't see how to stop it otherwise.

They talked during the CFP game last night about uT's Ewers getting $1mil to go to Ohio State and play 2 plays?   Lol.  Then he transfers to uT for probably similar.  The NFL would be a pay cut for some of these guys.  NIL and Portal have ruined the college game.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

They talked during the CFP game last night about uT's Ewers getting $1mil to go to Ohio State and play 2 plays?   Lol.  Then he transfers to uT for probably similar.  The NFL would be a pay cut for some of these guys.  NIL and Portal have ruined the college game.

I don’t think that NIL was specific to OSU, as I recall it was a corporate deal. These top level athletes are taking ticky-tack collective money, they are getting millions from major corporations for their brand. I think Ewers has multiple deals like this:

Quinn Ewers’ second NIL deal was with GTSM, an athlete autograph company. He signed this endorsement deal in 2021 while he was a part of the Ohio State University. As per Darren Rovell and Tom VanHaaren of ESPN, Quinn Ewers and GTSM reached an agreement for an endorsement deal for 3 years worth $1.4 million at that time. According to this endorsement deal, Quinn Ewers was able to sign autographs during his years as a college football player. This was a much more lucrative NIL deal for Quinn Ewers and it still allows him to sign autographs as a college football player.

Edited by 97and03

18 hours ago, Graddean said:

If a team is built using the NIL, does the coach answer to the university or to the collective.  If the players make more from the NIL than from the value of the scholarship, who calls the shots?

The coach has always answered to boosters.  At successful schools they were already making payments.  NIL does nothing except bring things into the open and democratize it.

The transfer rules are the more disruptive portion.  NIL without free transfer wouldn't look anything like this.

Free transfer with no NIL would still be chaotic, maybe a little less because the G5 level isn't really paying under the table but players still want to go where they can be successful.

• Upvote 2

On 1/1/2024 at 6:18 PM, UNTLifer said:

Isn’t that what the NIL was supposed to be, an ability to use one’s name, image or likeness for endorsement/marketing deals?  Somehow it became just a pay to be on the roster system because there is zero oversight and a rush to put it in place. 

I think all the players do the endorsements they get paid for. They just don't get much attention since the endorsement was never the point.

Maybe players should have to wear a patch on their jersey for each of their sponsors, like NASCAR.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, rcade said:

I think all the players do the endorsements they get paid for. They just don't get much attention since the endorsement was never the point.

Maybe players should have to wear a patch on their jersey for each of their sponsors, like NASCAR.

Sure they do, but many schools have basically stated, "Players will get xxx amount of money for being on our roster".  Heck, BYU has a system to pay walk-ons.  That is not the intent of NIL.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:05 PM, emmitt01 said:

NIL is pay-for-play, and anyone who denies this is either not too bright or being disingenuous.   

Texas doesn’t offer 100k to EVERY o-lineman recruit a year ago because they’re actually utilizing their name, image, or likeness.   Kids aren’t signing with SMU because they think “yeah, the culture of this place fits me.”  

Kids are earning a salary and the NCAA is expecting people to believe it is anything but what it is.  

Since I was mentioning in another thread how Hollywood blew daises and rainbows up the rear ends of the general population back in the 30's to help them have a vacation from reality. They also took a reality-based look at college football........IN 1937! 

Saturday's Heroes - Wikipedia

Saturday's Heroes is a 1937 American drama film directed by Edward Killy from a screenplay by Paul Yawitz, Charles Kaufman, and David Silverstein based on George Templeton's story. Produced and distributed by RKO Radio Pictures, the film stars Van Heflin, Marian Marsh, Richard Lane, Alan Bruce, and Willie Best.

Plot[edit]

Val Webster is the quarterback of Calton College's football team, but besides dealing with criticism of his play, Val needs money, which he gets by scalping tickets to the games.

A teammate, Ted Calkins, commits suicide after being caught moonlighting at a job, and Val's ticket scheme is exposed as well, causing university president Hammond to expel him. Disgusted by the hypocrisy in college athletics, where the school reaps hundreds of thousands of dollars while the athletes stay broke, Val teams with sportswriter Red Watson to bring attention to the matter, with girlfriend Frances providing moral support.

Val lands a job coaching for a rival college. When its game against Calton comes up, the outcome convinces Hammond and others that something must be done to change the unjust way student-athletes are rewarded for their play.

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Since I was mentioning in another thread how Hollywood blew daises and rainbows up the rear ends of the general population back in the 30's to help them have a vacation from reality. They also took a reality-based look at college football........IN 1937! 

Saturday's Heroes - Wikipedia

When it comes to 1930s college football movies,  I prefer this one, far removed from reality:

Pigskin Parade

The football team from tiny Texas State University (hmm!) Is accidentally invited to play Yale (instead of the University of Texas). Hilarity ensues!

The cast includes Judy Garland, Jack Haley, Betty Grable, and  Elisha Cook Jr.

Malachi Nelson, the top QB prospect in the 2023 class, is transferring from USC to Boise State. A year ago he switched his commitment from Oklahoma to USC when Lincoln Riley made the same move as head coach.

The last line of ESPN's story cracks me up: "With four years of eligibility remaining, he could be a long-term solution for the coaches."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39255802/ex-usc-qb-malachi-nelson-no-1-recruit-2023-picks-boise-st

The era of the long-term solution is deader than disco. If he plays well he'll pack his bags. He did not move to Idaho because of a lifelong dream of playing on the smurf turf.

• Upvote 2