Breaking: UT CB Transfer X'avion Brice Commits to North Texas

TheReal_jayD

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking: UT CB Transfer X'avion Brice Commits to North Texas

We definitely haven’t seen someone transfer in and make an immediate high-level impact if they hadn’t already been a major contributor at their previous school. Timing has also been important, with winter enrollment being a huge advantage to learn the system during spring practice. Trice, Maclin, Guyton and several others were ok players in year one but didn’t excel until their second season. And almost no summer enrollee from the JUCO ranks has done much. Guys like Cleveland and Mazin played a ton and were able to contribute significantly in year one. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's a different era. With more than 1500 players in the portal, there's bound to be legit talent transferring for playing time out of that 1500+.

Not trying to take away from these young man's announcement but with this many players in the portal can you imagine how crazy the spring portal will be also. A lot of these transfers will be taking over positions at other schools and then more players will be transferring out in the spring.

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Honestly, this is exactly the type of transfer we should be going after. Redshirt freshman who's spent 2 seasons in a P5 strength and conditioning program. He has P5 size, something we lack, and he'll use his free transfer to come in. We can have him for 3 seasons before he can leave again (unless be wants to sit out a season). He's also from DFW so this is coming home for him. If you're not excited by this commitment, you're just looking for reasons to be negative.

Great point. Just like the young man we lost at the end last year to Florida State a lot of high three stars will go to some of the top programs but will find themselves too far down the depth chart as these schools like Florida State or Texas are constantly adding four star and five star players. Hopefully this young man works out and has a great career at North Texas

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not trying to take away from these young man's announcement but with this many players in the portal can you imagine how crazy the spring portal will be also. A lot of these transfers will be taking over positions at other schools and then more players will be transferring out in the spring.

I really think things will slow down for many of these players after their first transfer. These young guys aren't getting the Covid year so they'll get their free transfer and then their grad transfer, unless they don't redshirt. We'll certainly see big transfer classes every year until the system changes but you won't see as many multiple time transfers as we're seeing now 

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Great point. Just like the young man we lost at the end last year to Florida State a lot of high three stars will go to some of the top programs but will find themselves too far down the depth chart as these schools like Florida State or Texas are constantly adding four star and five star players. Hopefully this young man works out and has a great career at North Texas

That's the other big factor I think we're seeing play out. Those who went to the biggest offer they had may realize their playing time will be limited and choose to transfer out. It's also a good opportunity for our coaches to rebuild quickly. Like I said above, once the covid year players move on, I don't think we'll see as big of an exodus as we've seen this year.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

I'm not too excited about this yet mostly because I no longer know what it means to "commit".

At this point, has he done something that has contractually committed himself to being here Aug 31?
If so, I'm excited.  If not, I'll wait until Aug 31.

My thoughts at the moment as well. We’ve seen many flip their decisions. Kids are fickle at this stage.

Once their names are out there, programs with the financial resources will surely be waiting to throw money as the window closes. Maybe he’s here for what was being mentioned in another post…rebuilding his stock by gaining playing time to increase his NIL value as a graduate transfer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1