Does/Should Liberty change G5 OOC Scheduling?

El Paso Eagle

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If the end game is to win as many games as possible with the quality of victories not seeming as important, should G5 Schools schedule as easy as possible out of conference games?

If you're able... yes. 

The theme is to win, right? 

The only reason we're seeing p5s schedule other p5s in OOC is because it has been dictated to them to do so. 

Schedule winnables and then go try to win your conference. 

• Upvote 4

I think that Liberty is on a mission to show that they can play with anyone.  If they scheduled bottom-feeders and finished 12-0 they wouldn't get a single vote for the Top 25.  Their conference schedule sweep wouldn't help in most years.  They'll gain more respect by playing two or three P5s and still having a good record.  It also gives them a better bowl.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

58 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I think that Liberty is on a mission to show that they can play with anyone.  If they scheduled bottom-feeders and finished 12-0 they wouldn't get a single vote for the Top 25.  Their conference schedule sweep wouldn't help in most years.  They'll gain more respect by playing two or three P5s and still having a good record.  It also gives them a better bowl.

Liberty's 12-0 and the G5 reputation will be put to the test facing Oregon.  Keep it close and it's legitimate.  Get blown out and the G5 image takes a hit.  Huge game.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, techdawg88 said:

Did y'all consider that Liberty has tried to schedule P5 teams and for reasons we all know, they were told NO. Should Liberty be penalized for that?

No, they should not. We have run into the same problem where P5s will not come to Denton, and I am glad we no longer have to play "money" games. Does it make a difference for G5s to schedule P5s and try to strengthen the schedules, or are victories the most important?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Does it make a difference for G5s to schedule P5s and try to strengthen the schedules, or are victories the most important?

Liberty played no P5's and had the easiest FBS schedule.  Smut scheduled two P5 games, losing to each by 17.  

Smut ranked #17 and Liberty #18 in the latest AP Top 25, but Liberty was awarded the NY6 Bowl.  Was it because of Smut's non-appeal and no-fans travel, or simply because Liberty's 12-0 record trumped them?

image.png.d7ed43863c563f984a87629618d221ce.png

Edited by NT80

Liberty is no where near the top G5’s of years past (Boise, UCF, Cincy, Tulane).  Oregon may beat them by 50 and the conspiracy theorist in me says this is an intentional matchup to show that the G5’s don’t belong.  SMU wouldn’t beat Oregon, but I think they could keep it reasonable.

• Upvote 3

I don’t know, 12-0 is nothing to sneeze at unless you play boring offensive football. Liberty appears to play a fun style of ball. If they look like the Coastal of old they will be a fun watch. 

GMG 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NT93 said:

Liberty is no where near the top G5’s of years past (Boise, UCF, Cincy, Tulane).  Oregon may beat them by 50 and the conspiracy theorist in me says this is an intentional matchup to show that the G5’s don’t belong.  SMU wouldn’t beat Oregon, but I think they could keep it reasonable.

Today's Devils Advocate/ Conspiracy Theory take - 

The "committee" chose Liberty over SMU because they believe they will be less competitive than SMU, and with changes coming to the playoffs, they are looking for a justification to leave out G5's 👽

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Today's Devils Advocate/ Conspiracy Theory take - 

The "committee" chose Liberty over SMU because they believe they will be less competitive than SMU, and with changes coming to the playoffs, they are looking for a justification to leave out G5's 👽

listening to college football channel on sirius this morning....Presidents/ADs/those in charge are already starting to try to get rid of the highest rated G5 spot in the new playoff. I would be shocked if the G5 kept that spot long term. This was a bad year for G5s. Last year's Tulane ranking would've been good. They may put is a caveat saying the G5 has to be ranked top 15 or something....

22 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

listening to college football channel on sirius this morning....Presidents/ADs/those in charge are already starting to try to get rid of the highest rated G5 spot in the new playoff. I would be shocked if the G5 kept that spot long term. This was a bad year for G5s. Last year's Tulane ranking would've been good. They may put is a caveat saying the G5 has to be ranked top 15 or something....

I believe the reason the G5 was added was due to threats of lawsuits if they were "blocked." I can't remember the details; maybe someone else can. 

ESPN current plan:

1. Reward not playing tougher opponents by G5s, and punish P3's doing it

3. Put undefeated, played nobody 13-0 up against monster opponents, blow them out

3. Playoff will take the highest rated G5 conf champion..... But because of blowouts stipulate the must be in top 25

4. Don't put any G5's in top 25 because they don't play difficult opponents

5. Push G5 out of playoff entirely because they never qualify

I really think it is a fluke situation.

Of the five G5 champions

SMU 11-2, Troy 11-2, Miami 11-2, Boise State 8-5.

It's like when BYU won the national title in 1984. In all of I-A only three teams had less than two losses. BYU 13-0, Cal State Fullerton 11-1 who had two non-FBS wins, finished second in what became the Big West, and their best win was 7-4 Hawaii, and 9-1-1 Florida who was on probation and opened the season losing to Miami who finished 8-5 and tied LSU at Florida and LSU finished 8-3-1.

Everyone else had two or more losses. ACC, Big Ten, and Pac-10 champs ended up with three losses 7-5 (6-2) Houston won tiebreaker to go to the Cotton over SMU and SMU finished 10-2 beating a 7-5 Notre Dame. SEC champ was 8-3-1. 

Everything fell perfect for BYU.

If JMU had been allowed to be eligible and had beaten Troy then 12-1 JMU vs 13-0 Liberty is a debate but two win gap? Committee ain't going to spend time looking at a two win gap in the G5. 

Heck made this argument years ago and data backs it up 2016 Western Michigan got NY6 game with one loss when every other G5 champ had three or more. Marshall got passed for Boise State when Marshall was only one win better. 

The only time a team with 2 more wins has been passed over was 2020 but that was 11-0 Coastal Carolina vs 9-0 Cincinnati an inherently screwy situation thanks to Covid and based on the rankings, if 12 playoff with 6/6 format had been in place Coastal would have taken the last auto bid over 4-3 Oregon

I'm not pleased that the fourth best champion per various computer rankings got the slot but it was a weird scenario.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1