Boise State (12/5/23)

CMJ

9 minutes ago, CMJ said:

On the other hand, the only game we won in the holiday tournament was the one we were in Black.  

Went 0-1 in Green

Went 0-1 in White

Yeah, against a very bad team missing it's two best players that only suited out 8.

I feel very bad for our equipment staff if that is an example of success for us.

Really bad crap happens far too often when we wear the garbage bags.

This same stuff happened at UTEP in 2022 that kept us from making the NCAA Tourney.

Learn Damnit, Learn!

Edited by ADLER
  • Eye Roll 1

we have neither an offense nor a closer. we haven't really had an offense for much of Grant's tenure...but we always had closers to bail us out. 

I think FAU's run skewed a lot of people's opinions of what the ceiling for this team could be. 

program growth is non-linear...and as a program, we're still growing...but this year is going to be a regression. one that any reasonable person would expect from losing a head coach and 70% of the scoring. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Yeah, against a very bad team missing it's two best players that only suited out 8.

I feel very bad for our equipment staff if that is an example of success for us.

we've also apparently lost every time you've posted about the uniforms. maybe it's your fault. maybe shut up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

we have neither an offense nor a closer. we haven't really had an offense for much of Grant's tenure...but we always had closers to bail us out. 

My thoughts exactly. Maybe it will come into its own as we start up in January.

once Jones and Scott were out we knew we were toast. 

I don’t have a lot of confidence with Buggs on offense at the end there. Just not reliable.  Gotta get better. 

Edited by Travis

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I thought coming into the season Edwards would be that guy. He tried tonight but missed too many open shots. Probably should have trusted his teammate more on that drive in the last minute.

3 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I think FAU's run skewed a lot of people's opinions of what the ceiling for this team could be. 

program growth is non-linear...and as a program, we're still growing...but this year is going to be a regression. one that any reasonable person would expect from losing a head coach and 70% of the scoring. 

I seem to recall being concerned that losing our sure thing closer in Perry would be a problem given that our best returners in Scott and Jones, while good players, haven’t show that type of mentality or crunch time production. Assuming new players on the roster would fill that role is always dangerous. Was assured by several on here that Perry was replaceable. Maybe not?

Agree on non linear program growth. To this point in the season we don’t look like a top shelf AAC team. 

• Upvote 2

this L is on Hodge. I still think he's the person to keep moving this program forward, but he too needs to grow. 

in the end, I'm fine with it all. we're not an at-large team. never thought we were and this should put to bed any conversation around it. we're going to be a problem for everyone we play in the AAC, but we're playing late in March only through another tourney run, which I think we can make. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

I still think there's decent shot we win that game if we pull it out on that fast break with about 1:20 to go or whatever it was.  Once we didn't score there and ran basically no time off the clock, I knew we had issues.

I refuse to point to that play. it was like a thrice tapped around ball that Edwards's hustle got him...he was positive in his attack and Boise made a good defensive play/the refs didn't blow for the first trip in 3+ minutes. if Edwards finishes/gets a call we're praising it. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not good. Not good at all. Up 6 under 2 and you go 0-fer vs a clearly beatable opponent. 

Yeah, it's almost like we were horribly jinxed.

I wonder what it was?

"But Adler, we beat a truly awful Towson team that only dressed out 9 players and was missing it's two best players earlier this season while we were wearing black. That means we should wear them more."

BURN THAT CRAP.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I refuse to point to that play. it was like a thrice tapped around ball that Edwards's hustle got him...he was positive in his attack and Boise made a good defensive play/the refs didn't blow for the first trip in 3+ minutes. if Edwards finishes/gets a call we're praising it. 

I just felt like he was out of control.  In real time I was literally yelling at him to slow it down.

But yeah, if it worked it would have been the "No, no, no don't do that...oh my God thank you for doing that" play.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I wonder what it was?

"But Adler, we beat a truly awful Towson team that only dressed out 9 players and was missing it's two best players earlier this season while we were wearing black. That means we should wear them more."

BURN THAT CRAP.

I don't know why you keep losing us games. you claim to be a fan, but yet here you are, jinxing the team you claim to support. 

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I wonder what it was?

BURN THAT CRAP.

Wow....

south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

this L is on Hodge. I still think he's the person to keep moving this program forward, but he too needs to grow. 

in the end, I'm fine with it all. we're not an at-large team. never thought we were and this should put to bed any conversation around it. we're going to be a problem for everyone we play in the AAC, but we're playing late in March only through another tourney run, which I think we can make. 

This is exactly how I feel. Back to back NIT Champs doesn't sound too bad though! 😉 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CMJ said:

I still think there's decent shot we win that game if we pull it out on that fast break with about 1:20 to go or whatever it was.  Once we didn't score there and ran basically no time off the clock, I knew we had issues.

What frustrated me is that on replay it was obvious the only reason Allen didn't get the rebound is he was pushed in the back. They blew the whistle on everything, especially ticky tacky pushes in the back, but they didn't blow that one. Jones and Scott play a physical brand of basketball. It's how they've been coached. The refs didn't allow physical play all night but on that Edwards drive to the rim, they allowed it twice.

And I have to ask, has anybody ever seen this many travels called on a player falling to the ground after a loose ball/rebound? They blew a travel on us in that situation 2-3 times, not including all the other iffy travels they called on NT. I feel if this game is played with non-Boise friendly refs, we win. 17 game home winning streak, right?

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

This team feels like it's going to need the full non-conference slate to figure itself out, similar to most of Mac's teams outside of last year.  More than anything else, I think losing Rubin last night cost us.  The new guards are still learning on the job and where/how they fit in in crunch time.  We're all a bit spoiled coming off of last season where we hit the ground running and it's just going to take more time for this current team to gel with all the new pieces.

• Upvote 1

Our pace at the end of the game killed us.  We should have burned the full shot clock on each possession.  Even the TV guys mentioned it. 

With 1:30 left, we were up by 6 points with the ball.  We were in the double bonus on foul shots.  Give the ball to our best free throw shooter, Edwards, let him run out the entire shot clock and shot or get fouled.  End of game, an easy win.

• Upvote 2