With SMU leaving and Army being football only

outoftown

7 hours ago, outoftown said:

Is the AAC looking for a non-football replacement for SMU to get the league back to 14 in in basketball etc? If yes, who?

VCU or Dayton are the two mentioned early on when Army was considering joining the AAC.  Haven't heard much lately on that.  Here is the discussion about them in the first Army thread...

• 2 weeks later...

Our commissioner said after adding Army that we were not looking for another Wichita State . While he loves the Shockers he doesn't want to be another Big East which became a hodgepodge conference at the end. However,in my opinion,if the right Basketball school became available he might change his mind.

• Upvote 2

My personal opinion is that we need a basketball school to join as Wichita State did and balance Army's football only membership. It is my understanding that in 2025 the punitive exit fees self imposed by the MWC disappear and that the PAC 2 will cobble together an 8  team conference by poaching SDSU, Fresno State,UNLV, Boise, Colorado State , and the Air Force Academy leaving SJSU, New Mexico, Utah State, Nevada Reno,Wyoming, and Hawaii behind.The Mountain West could snatch UTEP and NMSU from CUSA and live to fight again. However, I wish to go on record stating that in all the conference realignment that has occurred in the past few years  I have never been right in any of my predictions . I thought that geographic proximity to existing conference  membership was important but the Big 10 blew that away. SMU, CAl, and Stanford's admittance to the ACC will never make sense to me. They bring no fans, no t.v following ,and the money used by them to buy their way in will be long gone when the ACC implodes. With the realignment pot stirring I vote with SALSA VERDE in hoping that we gain a MVC basketball member soon,but I am not in favor of poaching football programs from the SBC unless it is Georgia State, which gets the AAC into Atlanta.

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2023 at 3:09 PM, DeepGreen said:

Makes no sense to me either.

Adding SMU/CAL/Stanford solves a lot of problems for the ACC.  

1) More revenue for the legacy schools to the tune of roughly $65m over the next five years.

2) By expanding to 18 members (including Notre Dame's full vote) it protects the league from possible Big 10 or SEC expansion.  The existing media rights deal allowed ESPN to renegotiate the terms if the league's membership fell below 15 members.  It only further validates the ACC's Grant of Rights.

3) All three of the new additions fit the ACC's model of strong athletics and academics.  

4) With the creation of the performance pool the conference is allowing for teams like Florida State, Clemson, UNC, etc. to earn the money they are seeking from the Big 10/SEC.

If you look at it objectively expansion was a necessity for the ACC.  Look what just happened to the PAC-12.  You can either expand and get out ahead of potential changes before they happen or you risk being picked to shreds.  It also keeps the ACC firmly in front of the Big 12 from a brands/market perspective now that Texas and OU are out.  

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Adding SMU/CAL/Stanford solves a lot of problems for the ACC.  

1) More revenue for the legacy schools to the tune of roughly $65m over the next five years.

2) By expanding to 18 members (including Notre Dame's full vote) it protects the league from possible Big 10 or SEC expansion.  The existing media rights deal allowed ESPN to renegotiate the terms if the league's membership fell below 15 members.  It only further validates the ACC's Grant of Rights.

3) All three of the new additions fit the ACC's model of strong athletics and academics.  

4) With the creation of the performance pool the conference is allowing for teams like Florida State, Clemson, UNC, etc. to earn the money they are seeking from the Big 10/SEC.

If you look at it objectively expansion was a necessity for the ACC.  Look what just happened to the PAC-12.  You can either expand and get out ahead of potential changes before they happen or you risk being picked to shreds.  It also keeps the ACC firmly in front of the Big 12 from a brands/market perspective now that Texas and OU are out.  

All that says to me is Smu was bypassed 4 times in expansion by the Big12.  To them you have no value.  The only reason the ACC was interested is your $$, nothing else.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

All that says to me is Smu was bypassed 4 times in expansion by the Big12.  To them you have no value.  The only reason the ACC was interested is your $$, nothing else.  

Do you think BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF really add value to the Big 12?  Just look at some of the TV numbers of the Big 12 matchups that didn't have Texas or OU involved.  They're abysmal. Those schools were added to protect the Big 12 from future poaching and to allow the league to renegotiate their deal with Disney/ESPN.

As far as SMU and the Big 12 there are a lot of factors at play there.  If you're a school in truck stop dumpsters like Fort Worth, Waco, Lubbock, Stillwater, etc. do you really want to elevate the rich school in Dallas to your level?  Of course not.  Those schools know all too well what a committed and energized SMU can do in this state.

Expansion now is not about value its about survival.  And I honestly couldn't care less WHY the ACC expanded.  All that matters is that they did.  Everything else is noise.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

It is going to come down to schools who pay the players and the ones that don't one day.  It is an arms race that not all teams can not compete in.   When this finally happens I think you will see geographic conferences.  The rich will continue to pick up players from the non pay conferences.   

College football is dead and is replaced with semi pro teams.   Sad I dont watch the NFL and I find myself watching less college football games these days.  I will continue to support the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

As far as SMU and the Big 12 there are a lot of factors at play there.  If you're a school in truck stop dumpsters like Fort Worth, Waco, Lubbock, Stillwater, etc. do you really want to elevate the rich school in Dallas to your level?  Of course not.  Those schools know all too well what a committed and energized SMU can do in this state.

The above epitomizes smu's inflated ego of themselves.  Hell, I would take Fort Worth, Waco and Stillwater, maybe even Lubbock, over University Park, not Dallas, any day.  A committed and energized smu doesn't move the needle in the state.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

The above epitomizes smu's inflated ego of themselves.  Hell, I would take Fort Worth, Waco and Stillwater, maybe even Lubbock, over University Park, not Dallas, any day.  A committed and energized smu doesn't move the needle in the state.

SMU currently has a top ten national recruiting class for 2025 with the ACC move.  So saying it doesn't move the needle is well....disingenuous.  Seems to be moving the needle A LOT.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Eye Roll 3

SMU currently has a top ten national recruiting class for 2025 with the ACC move.  So saying it doesn't move the needle is well....disingenuous.  Seems to be moving the needle A LOT.

Here was your original quote:

"Those schools know all too well what a committed and energized SMU can do in this state."

You aren't moving the needle in Texas.  Nobody cares about SMU outside of your little enclave of U Park.  Those recruits like you because you are throwing money at them.  There is no connection, so I firmly stand by my statement that SMU doesn't move the needle in this state.

Your 2024 class is currently ranked 77th overall and 16th in the ACC.  I like how you mention the 2025 class that has four commits so far.  Nice play, but there is a lot of time between now and the 2025 signing day.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Evidently you have never been to Lubbock.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Here was your original quote:

"Those schools know all too well what a committed and energized SMU can do in this state."

You aren't moving the needle in Texas.  Nobody cares about SMU outside of your little enclave of U Park.  Those recruits like you because you are throwing money at them.  There is no connection, so I firmly stand by my statement that SMU doesn't move the needle in this state.

Your 2024 class is currently ranked 77th overall and 16th in the ACC.  I like how you mention the 2025 class that has four commits so far.  Nice play, but there is a lot of time between now and the 2025 signing day.

lol.  Loading up for the transfer portal homie.  Might want to keep your eyes open the next few weeks.  80% of the high school class was committed before the ACC announcement.  Our last two commitments were a 4 star RB from Tyler and a DB here in Dallas with offers from USC, Purdue, Kansas, Baylor, TCU, Nebraska, and Ole Miss.

Gonna be some fireworks 🙂

Edited by SMU2006
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

lol.  Loading up for the transfer portal homie.  Might want to keep your eyes open the next few weeks.  80% of the high school class was committed before the ACC announcement.  Our last two commitments were a 4 star RB from Tyler and a DB here in Dallas with offers from USC, Purdue, Kansas, Baylor, TCU, Nebraska, and Ole Miss.

It's always "gonna be" with Smut, but it never is.  Too small, too irrelevant.  

Notice you haven't had anything to say about your stud QB Stone entering the portal. Hard to believe he would want to leave such an up and coming power 5 program. He's leaving all of that NIL cash too. Even Smut isn't immune to losing good players. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Shark84 said:

Notice you haven't had anything to say about your stud QB Stone entering the portal. Hard to believe he would want to leave such an up and coming power 5 program. He's leaving all of that NIL cash too. Even Smut isn't immune to losing good players. 

He isn’t. 

58 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 11/30/2023 at 10:15 AM, southsideguy said:

It is going to come down to schools who pay the players and the ones that don't one day.  It is an arms race that not all teams can not compete in.   When this finally happens I think you will see geographic conferences.  The rich will continue to pick up players from the non pay conferences.   

College football is dead and is replaced with semi pro teams.   Sad I dont watch the NFL and I find myself watching less college football games these days.  I will continue to support the Mean Green.

I thought you were going to say it comes down to who pays for hookers and who kills them. lol