Should Matt Caponi Be Fired? My Thoughts on the Situation.

TheReal_jayD

The recruiting aspect is going to be a big sign on if this staff can succeed. Morris focusing on HS and still seems to be is a mistake. I could care less about what coach has the inside track on a certain HS or HS connections! We should be transfer “U” and I hope every true fan is making a pledge to the NIL! The grassroots effort is very inspiring and we should all participate! GMG 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, aprice said:

I'd see your point if we weren't dead last in the FBS.  You have to be next level incompetent to be last out of 130 teams.  If we were 90th or 100th, I would totally agree with you.

I don't see it as a risk to move on when it is nearly impossible to be as inept on defense as we currently are.  I think it's riskier to do nothing, but I hope I'm wrong if the decision is to maintain the status quo

You don't think the defense is better now than it was at the first of the year? If you do, it is obvious that it is possible to be worse on defense than NT currently is.   

Those that conclude the defensive coaching staff is bad because the defense is suspect, may be very wrong.

A HC's career depends on the ability of his staff.  Therefore, he is going to maintain the best coaches he can.  

I don't know anymore than you about Caponi's ability.  However, I do think Morris is going to be a very good coach; thus I will trust his staffing decisions.   

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The recruiting aspect is going to be a big sign on if this staff can succeed. Morris focusing on HS and still seems to be is a mistake. I could care less about what coach has the inside track on a certain HS or HS connections! We should be transfer “U” and I hope every true fan is making a pledge to the NIL! The grassroots effort is very inspiring and we should all participate! GMG 

I think we continue to see Morris and co go after the Taylor Starling and Jayven Anderson and Landon Sides of the world. The guys that can come in and contribute right away. But unlike last class I don't think you see us spend half the class on projects. But I believe those that are paying attention to recruiting can already see this staff's strategy. They have already pulled multiple high school offers. This team will have plenty of scholarships available come December and Spring to utilize portal and juco routes. Now they will still need to hit on evaluations but there will be a big emphasis on getting guys that can contribute day one

• Upvote 7

59 minutes ago, Dpony14 said:

Just my outsider perspective... Yall gotta quit firing DCs after one year. Continuity is extremely important on D, and without it the players think too much and process too slowly. Our defense was hot garbage last year, but with another year and some key transfers its pretty good this year. Its especially difficult to completely change schemes too. Give him another year, and i bet youre better. 

Good post.  There is some truth to that.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Not sure how you conclude that.  Obviously, more experienced players are going to be better contributors in the short run.  However, I am not sure that is the right long term strategy.  

There is a lot of high school talent being ignored now that could become stars at NT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Before we place the blame on Matt Caponi, I think we need to take a step back at how we got here. North Texas lost 5 of its top returning 7 tacklers from last year’s defense. With only Mazin Richards and Kevin Woods returning. Kevin Woods has not returned to preinjury form while Mazin has been playing in a new position most of the year. I know we have spoken to nauseum on the board that the 3-3-5 defense will not work at North Texas. But if you scan down the top defenses in the country you will see several 3-man fronts scattered in the top 20.

I think a huge reason this defense has struggled this year has been due to youth and lack of talent. I think we are seeing a ton of youth playing more and more each week. The freshman trio of Jayven Anderson, Evan Jackson and Ethan Wesloski played over 160 snaps between the three this last Saturday against UTSA. The most so far this season. I don't think the best move is to fire Caponi just yet. I want to see him, and this staff have a full offseason to use the portal and juco ranks to revamp this defense. North Texas has several key pieces set to return. If Caponi is fired it will be the 4th Defensive Coordinator in 5 years for North Texas. I would like this team to be able to have some continuity and have the chance to grow. We all love Phil Bennett, but his defense didn’t set the world on fire in year one. But we saw huge growth in year two.

I think if you don't lose Gaddie and Nixon this defense looks greatly improved this year. But hindsight is 20/20. I am not going to say Morris made the wrong hire. I do think they made a mis step by not being more aggressive in bringing in ready to play players on that side and may have been too dependent on high school recruiting. But I am wanting to see what they can do with a full offseason. Caponi was not hired till after the early signing period. That is a ton of talent off the boards and put the whole team behind the 8 ball in terms of roster building. The Mount Union and Iowa State connection gives me hope that Caponi can turn this thing around.

This defense has a ton of talent to return. The Junior trio of Safeties in Hill, Wilson and Nakwaasah with freshman’s Jayven Anderson and Evan Jackson fighting for Starting Roles. Ridge Texada and Taylor Starling are set to return as cornerbacks. All Conference caliber DT Rod Brown is set to return as well. I truly believe this has been ugly this season I am no denying that. But I believe with Caponi’s intelligence and pedigree that with some recruiting he will get this thing trending in the right direction.

Disclaimer: This is all my personal optimistic opinion. Morris may fire him after the SMU for all I know. But I would like a second season just to make sure. Like I said with Bennett, just because you hire a new Defensive Coordinator, I believe it will take whoever you hire to get it turned around. Especially with learning another new system.

Get outta here with your level headedness.

• Haha 2

My issue is that no one forced the staff to make a scheme change defensively. We clearly don’t have the personnel to run the 3-3-5. That’s not even up for debate. Not evaluating that correctly and ignoring the Portal is pretty brutal. It sucks cause we’re wasting a really good year with Rogers at QB. We can’t play even just “regular” bad defense which would give us a chance at W’s. It’s been horrific. 

I’m in the camp that there’s likely to be more “sure thing” DC talent available once this current coaching cycle heats up in the next month. I have an awful feeling that Friday night in Dallas is going to be really bad. I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Caponi was not hired till after the early signing period. That is a ton of talent off the boards and put the whole team behind the 8 ball in terms of roster building

Just another example of late half ass moves by the leadership above HC kills this program.  And when that results in having the worst defense in FBS overshadowing the 11th ranked FBS offense it is very hard to do the logical thing and be patient with a brand new scheme.  Leadership has often put coaching staffs behind the 8 ball at UNT and the first time a coach has no excuses for mediocrity here he coaches 2 additional years.  And coincidentally retained to the point to make replacing him and his staff rushed and difficult. 🤦🏽‍♂️

And let's say Caponi isn't terrible in the long run.  That would be good but not great.  I am no longer interested in waiting just be 7-5 which is what a good DC will likely help you achieve.  I want a DC so good he is hired away to be a FBS HC or an NFL assistant job.  

A great DC would minimally have a defense rank above 100 with depleted talent in his first year.  To excuse this performance so far you would have to tell me 4-6 starters on defense don't have scholarships.  

I don't think we have good option when it comes to Caponi.  Unless the want to go out a grab a DC that should already be a HC 750k or more our defense won't be great next year.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

Just my outsider perspective... Yall gotta quit firing DCs after one year. Continuity is extremely important on D, and without it the players think too much and process too slowly. Our defense was hot garbage last year, but with another year and some key transfers its pretty good this year. Its especially difficult to completely change schemes too. Give him another year, and i bet youre better. 

We literally can't be worse. We are the worst. Nowhere to go but up. 

And, no, eff all the fluff. It's deeper than talent. Players have a proven unwillingness to go get at it. We are showing 5 man boxes on medium downs over and over and over like idiots. We have been out of position at all 3 levels every game, countless times. We can't cover. We can't or refuse to tackle. And in situational D&D I don't know wth it is they are even trying to do. 

This is a bad hire. 

If not fired, it will be a bad hire in year 2. 

I think it's time to just agree that the guy wasn't ready. It's brutally clear. 40mothaphukkin a month. It's insane. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

My issue is that no one forced the staff to make a scheme change defensively. We clearly don’t have the personnel to run the 3-3-5. 

But the 3-3-5 is obviously the defense they want to run.  An argument can be made that they should have hit the portal harder to get players to fit the scheme, but if you hire a 3-3-5 guy, that’s the defense he’s going to run.  If Morris were following a coach with a run oriented offense, he’d still run his offense even if he didn’t have the personnel.  It’s no different with a defense.  

• Upvote 1

No one doubts that this staff had some challenges with starting late. However you can't excuse/absolve all responsibility about the blunders that have been made like; not utilizing the spring transfer portal, wrongfully evaluating the players they had, forcing a system that doesn't fit, refusing to change or adapt the system that hasn't been working, basics of defense like tackling, pass rush, and coverage. We don't know what's going on in practice, and we can only judge on results we see on the field, everything else is a guess. Could we be better next year? Maybe. Could we be just as bad? Maybe. All I can go off of is what has happened this year, and make an opinion on that. So far those facts are strongly in the negative column. Morris will have to make the choice if he wants to tie his wagon to Caponi, it's his choice ultimately. His decision will either be a good one if they improve next year or another wasted year that shortens his own leash. If Morris doesn't get it going by year 3, he will also be gone as well. 

As for a lot of top teams run the 3 man front, let me know when are getting those 4 and 5 star athletes to make that work. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1